Craig says 6 - 7 players will go.... who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

How many times have you sat down at an end of a game and thought "wow.... that role shirley played really won us the game..."

But that would happen for K Cornes, Ling, Brown dare i say it ... Stenglein

I agree with these names, but depends if we can pick up any pacy midfield/forwards, if we can't we may need to retain Bode or Jericho.

Bodes best is behind him and Id rather dougo running around up forward or a young Aboriginal. Jericho worries me a bit with his attitude after being dropped this year, admittedly harshly. But at the same time, Jericho has the potential to be a game breaker and given the right role in the right team he could leave us devastated. So of the two Id keep Jericho if needed.

I'd keep Jericho too i think...... and you don't know how many games you're gonna get out of Bode next year, he's almost as bad as Kane Johnson was with regards to injuries.

How many times have you sat down at an end of a game and thought "wow.... that role shirley played really won us the game..."

But that would happen for K Cornes, Ling, Brown dare i say it ... Stenglein

Great point, but I remember a game against the bulldogs two years ago when we got r*ped by S.West coz we had no one to stand him in Shirleys absence. I know now we have the little genius VB, but Id like too see him get more of a role than just a run with..

On Simon Black Vs Brisbane at AAMI stadium. Absolutely ripped him a new one!

But hey, why get the facts get in a way of a good slagging?! ;)

Ok that's 1, I simply said none sprang to mind, I didn't say it hadn't happened. Black still kicked a couple of goals form memory.

More examples stiffy (or should i say Bruce Mcavaney)

Actually that was at the Gabba wasnt it?

Great point, but I remember a game against the bulldogs two years ago when we got r*ped by S.West coz we had no one to stand him in Shirleys absence. I know now we have the little genius VB, but Id like too see him get more of a role than just a run with..

Yeah I would too, but you wouldn't call Kane Cornes "just" a run with player would you?? Although I would put VB's foot skills above that of Cornes.

The ideal situation would have us playing such great attacking football and all the kids playing so well that other teams worry about taggin us and not us them.

Ok that's 1, I simply said none sprang to mind, I didn't say it hadn't happened. Black still kicked a couple of goals form memory.

More examples stiffy (or should i say Bruce Mcavaney)

the exact stats and facts are hard to come by, but seriously, every week shirley does a brilliant job and does it tirelessly too. one of the most under rated players at the AFC in my opinion

IMO, there is absolutley no way that we should be getting rid of mattner. His run is something which is just so hard to find and his disposal will better with more experience. Too good of a player to let go, for the club and for his sake seeing he is an adelaide boy

Don't get me wrong, I think Mattner is an outstanding player and I don't want to see him traded. But I think it is something which has to be done for Mattner's own wellbeing as a player.

Mattner is a borderline AA class wingman. We saw what he is capable of in 2005. However, over the last two years Craig has insisted on playing him in the back pocket - a position to which he is utterly unsuited. As a result, Mattner has lost all confidence in his own abilities and is almost a shattered and broken man. Another season of this abuse and it will probably be the end of the road for him as an AFL player.

The other clubs are well aware of his abilities - both his strengths and his weaknesses. Right now, he does command good trade value because they know he can still turn it around if played in the right position. The time is right for Mattner to demand a trade, lest he become the first player whose career was destroyed by Neil Craig.

Its amazing some of the names being thrown up on here. Cant honestly believe anyone would mention Torney who had his best year at the club and is highly regarded by the players, yet alone Edwards . I thought Biglands was lucky to be retained after doing his knee in 2006, but he is more needed now than ever with Huddo leaving. I would delist Hinge, Bode, Doughty, Perrie and Jericho. With Roo retiring and Huddo and Mcgregor being traded. I would keep Meesen and I would persist in Mattner as I think he is a player we wouldnt get much for but I reckon at least half a dozen sides would love to pick him up cheaply in the preseason draft and it would be demoralising for us true supporters to see him destroyng teams with his pace and long kick. He isnt far off. Doughty on the other hand, whilst still capable isnt going to improve and he keeps youngsters from geting a crack. Meesen should be retained as we have put so much into him and I think all we would get is a 3rd round pick. If we got a pick in the top 25, flick him, but cant see it happening. Our luck in the draft is due to change, lets keep our picks from trading and get some kids. Makes me sick to say, but take a leaf out Collingwood and the Powers book.

Torney is being mentioned because he has turned 30. Earlier this year the club announced a policy of not retaining any players who are not "tier-one" beyond their 30th birthdays. To me, tier-one is the elite players - Goodwin, Macca, Edwards, Roo (before his retirement), Bassett and Rutten. Torney is at the upper end of what I'd call tier-two, but he's definitely not tier-one. Looking at it from this perspective, if the club is strict about enforcing this policy then Torney has to go.

Now, I agree with you that Torney had a great year and has done nothing to deserve delisting. But if you take a look at the age of the players in our starting-22 and when they are likely to depart, we need to be bringing in 4-5 youngsters for 22 games a year, every year for the next 3 years. It may well be that Torney's position is one which is examined closely. Also worth remembering that Bassett will return next year, is there room for Massie, Torney AND Bassett in the lineup?

Keeping Meesen is easier said than done. He is out of contract and if he decides that he wants out, due to the lack of opportunities, then there is nothing we can do to stop him. That said, I agree that the Crows should be doing everything in their powers to keep him at the AFC.

As for Mattner, refer to my comments in the previous post.

Bodes best is behind him and Id rather dougo running around up forward or a young Aboriginal. Jericho worries me a bit with his attitude after being dropped this year, admittedly harshly. But at the same time, Jericho has the potential to be a game breaker and given the right role in the right team he could leave us devastated. So of the two Id keep Jericho if needed.

Not sure how you can say Bode's best is behind him. In 2006 he had his best ever year. In 2007 he only played 1 game (due to injury), and did fairly well kicking 1.2 from 12 disposals with 3 tackles. What IS fair to say is that he is perpetually injured (albeit constantly finding new things to injure - never the same injury twice) and as such he is a major risk to the team list. If he is cut it would be on this basis, not on the basis of poor form.

Given the choice between retaining Bode & Jericho, I'd keep Bode any day of the week - even allowing for the fact that he misses 2 seasons in 3 with injury.

Torney had his most consistent year in 2007, he isnt lacking pace, why move him on unless we are rebuilding, which Craig doesnt believe in. Bode imo is a one position player now, and he has poor foot skills, just what we dont need up forward. He is keeping Dougo and Porps off the park if he could get fit, he is not going to all of a sudden become a gamebreaker and with no gun tall forwards we need a forward pocket who can finish, that is why I cant see any room for bodey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ricciuto - retired
McGregor - wants out
Hudson - wants out
Meeson - wants out

OK that leaves 2-3 more

Doughty - delisted
Massie - Borderline but will probably keep for flexibility and NC loves him
Hinge - On the brink but prolly Delisted
Perrie - Retired
Jericho - I hope we keep (I'm in the minority though)

I think people might have misinterpreted what Triggy said in regards to 30 year olds. From my recollection, he didn't say that those players won't be retained unless they are tier one, IIRC he said that players who are 30 or over and not in our best 22 will not be looked at for retention.

Torney is clearly in our best 18 week in week out when ever he is fit. As a result, I think he will be offered 1 year contract and rightly so.

GlaCial said:
Ricciuto - retired
McGregor - wants out
Hudson - wants out
Meeson - wants out

OK that leaves 2-3 more

BunjiMac said:
Doughty - delisted
Massie - Borderline but will probably keep for flexibility and NC loves him
Hinge - On the brink but prolly Delisted
Perrie - Retired
Jericho - I hope we keep (I'm in the minority though)
I would assume a different direction will be now taken

I can only see Perrie from your list (bm) going and the others are retained...for depth

Oh I understand you're shooting down my opinion....

my opinion is still that we would win just as many games with Shirley as opposed to without and probably play more atractive football.

Ricciuto - retired
Perrie - retired (unconfirmed)
Meesen - wants out
Hudson - wants out
Doughty - trade

McGregor - wants out but won't get out

A few weeks ago I would have thought Torney might be in trouble - if only from an age perspective given the next few years will be about managing the 30 year olds.

But with some of the older players departed or close to - I think Torney will be spared which is good news.

Roo
Ken
Hudson
Perrie
Maric - edit (I meant Meesen)
Jericho
Hinge

IMO means Massie, Doughty stay safe - Bode probably gets another repreive....

I'd like to see us go after Didak and McMahon if possible. No point trading for ruckmen with Biggles, Griff, Maric, and Tippett still on the list.

One I'd like to get back sooner than later was running around in the #4 for Geelong on Saturday and had a very very good game. A class ball carrier - but of course any prospect we had of securing a deal went out the window with the Flag.

A few weeks ago I would have thought Torney might be in trouble - if only from an age perspective given the next few years will be about managing the 30 year olds.

But with some of the older players departed or close to - I think Torney will be spared which is good news.

Roo
Ken
Hudson
Perrie
Maric
Jericho
Hinge

IMO means Massie, Doughty stay safe - Bode probably gets another repreive....

I'd like to see us go after Didak and McMahon if possible. No point trading for ruckmen with Biggles, Griff, Maric, and Tippett still on the list.

One I'd like to get back sooner than later was running around in the #4 for Geelong on Saturday and had a very very good game. A class ball carrier - but of course any prospect we had of securing a deal went out the window with the Flag.
Maric gone?! :eek: :p

Mackie was about to be traded to Port a couple of years ago but he stayed at Geelong and did wonders when moved to HB/wing.

He was soft as butter and he copped as much ridicule as Jericho has on this board.

I think McGregor might stay because there is apparently no interest in him. I agree to a point regarding ruckmen but I come back to this, we need Tippett to develop as a key forward and the only way he can do that is if we play him as one. God forbit the ruckmen inury curse strikes again, we are forced to play Tippett in the ruck and rob him of much needed development as a key forward. I can mount an argument either way but IMHO we absolutely MUST develop Tippett and Sellar as forwards and not ruckmen or defenders. Thats just my two bobs worth.

As for Didak, I doubt we will get him. All our trade currency has named a particular club and are prepared to walk unless they are traded there. All the currency we had going into the trade week is now low on value. I can see us getting McMahon for Hudson even though I think that is a hell of a one sided deal for Bulldogs but we probably have no other choice.

The only problem I see with McMahon is that he is a small, unaccountable, running defender who is not strong enough to play in the midfield. He has been in the system for a number of years now but he still can't put on any muscle to get into the midfield. Would add some much needed pace and some ball carrying ability. Would be a handy player but he could take a spot from someone like Pfeiffer or MacKay who we would have pencilled in at HBF for development purposes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Craig says 6 - 7 players will go.... who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back