Opinion Culture at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with this. Nothing personal at all agains the people who get the info, but the people who give it out are scum.

Get stuffed mate, that is fairly and squarely directed at me and I take objection to being called scum. I am very passionate about this club and concerned were it is heading.

I have been given a lot of info over the last 2 years and kept it all to myself and what I have shared is very selective. I do not share anything that is hurtful in any way to anyone person. I have heard alot of things recently that are more concerning that what I have listed and I will not post them because I think this is not the place.

The info I gave was in another thread and posted as a new topic without me knowing. It was simply a response to another question. I certainly did not intend it to get a thread of its own.

In 10 years on this sight 90% of what I have written about this club is nothing but positive.

We raise questions and people ask for reasons and you give a few and you get called scum.

Get stuffed mate, that is fairly and squarely directed at me and I take objection to being called scum. I am very passionate about this club and concerned were it is heading.

I have been given a lot of info over the last 2 years and kept it all to myself and what I have shared is very selective. I do not share anything that is hurtful in any way to anyone person. I have heard alot of things recently that are more concerning that what I have listed and I will not post them because I think this is not the place.

The info I gave was in another thread and posted as a new topic without me knowing. It was simply a response to another question. I certainly did not intend it to get a thread of its own.

In 10 years on this sight 90% of what I have written about this club is nothing but positive.

We raise questions and people ask for reasons and you give a few and you get called scum.

I specifically said those who give out the information. You are the one who has received the information. I have not called you scum. No need to throw a hissy fit.

So your point in bringing up a problem from 12 MONTHS ago, about the players not getting along, that you now agree, is no longer problem, was what exactly?

Getting along and creating a successful culture are very different things. To me it was simply a sign that the playing group was not as unified as it could have been. I have no idea how many turned up this year until you mentioned it.

Im not asking you to be concerned about the direction of our club. On what I have heard im concerned but if you believe we are doing everything right that thats good for you. I personally hope your right and Im wrong.

Don Scott and Leigh Mathews never spoke to each other as players.........I get the part about not liking you teammate.......I also am not asking for our players to get together and hold hands and sing kumbaya every week!

The problem is this year the Club tried to manufacture some team spirit and soon as the time was up at the "get together" everybody did a runner.

Don't underestimate the damage done within the group when Robbo wrote that article at 5pm Thursday just two days before our season opener against Sydney.

Culture can't be forced has to evolve.
Yep can understand the Robbo article especially if as was stated on here, players had an agreement with each.
Very damaging but surely out of the hands of the club and fault lays with individuals.

The other concern I have when talking about culture, not built overnight, built over some years, introducing so many new players 10? and losing games doesn't help.

Well... he knows the game inside out, makes rational, dispassionate assessments of players and situations plus every player he coached was scared of him. Sounds like a good base to start from... Besides...would you talk to Don Scott ?

That's what I thought... There are many people who wouldn't speak to Don't Scott!

And Lethal appears to command respect through his knowledge and actions. One of those people who doesn't need approval and doesn't seek it. I remember when he used to regularly write for the Herald Sun on tactics. The man knew footy like few others. And what a footballer.

Brereton enjoys talking about the dynamics *cough* of that side. They weren't all buddy buddy by any means. Chris Mew was another one. Had no interest in being BFFs with anyone.

What they were was tough, ruthless, highly skilled, well drilled and had a winning mentality. Sounds a lot like Hawthorn under Clarkson.

I'm less concerned with who braids whose hair than I am with who buys into the game plan, who is disciplined on and off the field and who understands their teammates on the field.

From the outside looking in, I would guess that success temporarily soothes sore points between players, whereas underperformance pours vinegar on them. The microscope of social media and modern media just magnifies it all.

Footballers. A bunch of amoeba swimming around a petrie dish filled with dettol and vinegar.

Was
That's not the point. It could be mad Monday or a movie night to finish the season at someones house to playing tiddlywinks.

When a season ends and a bunch of blokes who are expected to get together for one last time to enjoy each others company before they go there own ways for a couple of months can't show up it tells me they are not feeling apart of something. This leads to a greater risk of players leaving.

When people genuinely feel apart of something they are less likely to leave.

When I have been part of a strong local footy club there is always a good turnout for the last player function of the year. When the club has been weak the turnouts have been crap.
Was there no mad monday for piea players?

Funny people get given info they don't agree with and they lose it, give info people are into like trade rumors, stuff from inside the club, people are all into it and can't get enough.

Clearly we have some issues within the club, just look at the players who have left and our on field results.

That's not the point. It could be mad Monday or a movie night to finish the season at someones house to playing tiddlywinks.

When a season ends and a bunch of blokes who are expected to get together for one last time to enjoy each others company before they go there own ways for a couple of months can't show up it tells me they are not feeling apart of something. This leads to a greater risk of players leaving.

When people genuinely feel apart of something they are less likely to leave.

When I have been part of a strong local footy club there is always a good turnout for the last player function of the year. When the club has been weak the turnouts have been crap.

Was this year or before, I find it shocking only ten blokes show up. My local club had a better turnout than that.

Definitely agree on the Pendles thing though. The Captain of our once great club should most definitely have been supporting and advising the boys on our list... during their VFL finals tilt.

Especially for Caff.

I would love a new Captain.

FWIW... i wish it was Adams.

I specifically said those who give out the information. You are the one who has received the information. I have not called you scum. No need to throw a hissy fit.

Fair enough mate, Except my apologies in that case.

In defence of where I have receive info in fairness to those they are pretty reluctant you give out alot and alot of it is in passing.

In other words If I asked the question how did the mad monday go. I might get the response "Only 10 blokes turned up etc etc"

Also you might speak to a players dad who other than the fact his son plays at the club has no emotional investment and might tell you a few things out of frustration.

Players tell their mate stuff they are frustrated about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny people get given info they don't agree with and they lose it, give info people are into like trade rumors, stuff from inside the club, people are all into it and can't get enough.

Clearly we have some issues within the club, just look at the players who have left and our on field results.

Are you convinced, a miracle, of trading "back in" ALL the guys we lost gets us a flag in the last 3 years?
I say no - and it would have put us way behind where we are today in our rebuild.

So trading these guys early has meant we contend sooner.

Don't forget two assistants getting sacked..........and Neil "Kevin Costner" Balme.......basically being demoted!

boduguard.png

But all is good at our Club.

Can you just post that gif of that bloke banging his head on the table.........I think it might be easier for ant22.

Brilliant mate well said.

I saw in the VFL Saturday there were a lot of Dogs players at the game, you could argue they might have been sore, doing rehab and couldn't make it, no they were there to support team mates.

Murphy was at the game supporting his players, Pendles was in Europe putting up pictures on Instagram.

You're not serious are you? You realise AFL listed players only get a 8-10 week off-season? Non finalists start pre-season start of November, with many of them returning to the club earlier to get a head start on the pre-season. Are you suggesting that all Collingwood players must delay and reduce their overseas holidays by 4 weeks just to watch a handful of their teammates play in the VFL finals? The dogs are still in the AFL finals, 100% of their list is in Melbourne and still training at the moment. It would be reasonable to expect most of them to go to the team's VFL game. They are yet to be released by the club for the season and are yet to start their 8-10 weeks holidays. I'm incredibly confident that were Collingwood in the same situation as the Dogs, 100% of the boys would have attended. Pendles and a large contingent of Pies players made it to every VFL game possible during the season. How you could criticise players, specifically our captain, for not being there, and to compare it to the Bulldogs, is incredibly unreasonable and lacks consideration. Clutching at straws at its finest.

I'm pretty convinced a miracle of trading "back in" ALL the guys we lost does not get us a flag in the last 3 years - but puts us way behind where we are today in our rebuild.
So trading these guys early has meant we contend sooner.

What if we trade them and bring in all these young players and some of them end up leaving because they don't like their workplace?

We all know we cant bring these blokes in. We just want the club to make sure they do everything possible to ensure the blokes at the club now stay. Strong culture, enjoyable workplace, high standards, high support, great coaching and leadership is what we are looking for.

I used to work with a guy who was on Carlton's rookie list for a year under Brett Ratten before being delisted, and he told me the only time he ever spoke to Ratten was the end of year meeting when he was told he wasn't retaining a spot on the list. Maybe it is more common than we think, if it is I think it is something that shouldn't happen at any footy club.
Also ask people about Leigh Matthews. Great coach and great delegator.
Not considered the best one on one though, but still was a great coach.
I don't know, but assume, only assume, that some coaches are hard people. I'd also assume Clarkson is not a gentle touch.

But at least here on big footy there is ample opportunity to give Buckley a whack. Must be therapeutic for some.

Incidentally I don't get how the club doesn't pay salary on time.

Don't forget two assistants getting sacked..........and Neil "Kevin Costner" Balme.......basically being demoted!

View attachment 290556

But all is good at our Club.

Can you just post that gif of that bloke banging his head on the table.........I think it might be easier for ant22.

Are you saying that you're not happy for Gubby to make changes?

Or are you saying the changes are wrong?

I'd guess most here believe assistant changes were needed - and they probably also think that as good a bloke as NB is, GA is much more likely to get us where we want to go.

So I cant really understand your concerns.

For a first offence, he may have avoided jail, but having an expensive silk makes it more likely you will avoid jail. He may have paid his own legal fees but the club would have moved heaven and earth to ensure he got the best available.
Correct.
Neville Wrans daughter involved in a murder situation, got the best of the best legal representation. Has character references etc etc. out of jail quickly.
The law is not an even playing field.

(I make no judgment about Harriet Wran, just noting as her late father was premier of NSW and connected, it certainly did not hurt her.)

One of the things I would like Allen to change would be to stop the leaks.

A lot of posters seem to have inside knowledge of the club workings and little of it is positive.

Anyone got any good leaks?
Sometimes people make things up.
Sometimes people exaggerate.
Sometime people think they know things on the inside.
Sometimes people are accurate.
Sometimes people love to gossip.
Sometimes people put mayo on information.
Sometimes people tell the truth.
Sometimes people have agendas.

Always though, people are people.....

Also ask people about Leigh Matthews. Great coach and great delegator.
Not considered the best one on one though, but still was a great coach.
I don't know, but assume, only assume, that some coaches are hard people. I'd also assume Clarkson is not a gentle touch.

But at least here on big footy there is ample opportunity to give Buckley a whack. Must be therapeutic for some.

Incidentally I don't get how the club doesn't pay salary on time.

Just to clear that up its not salary from the club. It is an allowance for first year players get. It was the welfare managers role to organise payment. I cant be more specific than that sorry.

I know you think we like giving bucks a whack but that simply isnt true. I call it as I see it and they way I see it is he needs to improve alot for me to be convinced he is the right man for the job. But it's not all on bucks I think the whole leadership of the club needs to improve.

As I have said before the best coaches are tough and have high expectations but they also have the support to match those expectations. My belief is the support it where bucks and the club often fall down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Culture at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back