22HarryArmstrong
24JoshSmillie
25GabrielStumpf
26LukeTrainor
27HarryO'Farrell
32AdrianCole
35ThomasSims
38LucasImpey

I just expected a smidge more from both at this current time, but maybe also an indication of the times where list and development is far superior now, so gives less opportunity in the first 2-3 years compared to 5-8 years ago

Plus the

Worpel
Nash
Newcombe
Mackenzie
J.Ward

Group isnt overly deep and/or ceiling isnt that high

Excluding Will Day of course but that 2-6 best midfielders on the list group

They havnt given up a heap of capital for this group, so its fair there ceiling isnt great, but thats why they need to invest in this area
Nash 25
Worpel 25
Moore 24
Newcombe 23
Day 22
Macdonald 21
Mackenzie 20
D’Ambrosio 20
Ward 20
Weddle 19

That is a young and deep midfield with Weddle being the big bodied game breaker that rounds off what we already have. Not one of those 10 young men has peaked as an AFL footballer. We will draft best available with our 1st pick if we keep it. The biggest missing piece in our rebuild is a big bodied quality key defender to build our backline around long term. McCabe is a serious talent but he won’t fill that role, more an attacking secondary key defender. Lewis and Dear will be our long term key forwards with Chol more a mid term option as well as our 2nd ruckman game day.

Nash 25
Worpel 25
Moore 24
Newcombe 23
Day 22
Macdonald 21
Mackenzie 20
D’Ambrosio 20
Ward 20
Weddle 19

That is a young and deep midfield with Weddle being the big bodied game breaker that rounds off what we already have. Not one of those 10 young men has peaked as an AFL footballer. We will draft best available with our 1st pick if we keep it. The biggest missing piece in our rebuild is a big bodied quality key defender to build our backline around long term. McCabe is a serious talent but he won’t fill that role, more an attacking secondary key defender. Lewis and Dear will be our long term key forwards with Chol more a mid term option as well as our 2nd ruckman game day.
Yep, I did say a KPP and then a midfielder was more of a necessity than a small forward

The story of this draft is the emergence of KPP Talent in the last 12 months, It started with Shanahan showing potential last year as a strong marking forward, then the Whitlock twins especially Jack showing match winning composure, Faull having a strong finish to the year for GWV and for VC in an u17s game, Mraz, O'Farrell and Trainor showing high end defensive ability and great height for KPD players, Gerryn has looked good as a ruck/kpf and my own personal favourite in Lockwood who could be a surprise AFL KPD, Adrian Cole could also get a chance through the NGA and is a good shut down KPD, with the emergence of good KPP this draft looks stronger than first thought.

The story of this draft is the emergence of KPP Talent in the last 12 months, It started with Shanahan showing potential last year as a strong marking forward, then the Whitlock twins especially Jack showing match winning composure, Faull having a strong finish to the year for GWV and for VC in an u17s game, Mraz, O'Farrell and Trainor showing high end defensive ability and great height for KPD players, Gerryn has looked good as a ruck/kpf and my own personal favourite in Lockwood who could be a surprise AFL KPD, Adrian Cole could also get a chance through the NGA and is a good shut down KPD, with the emergence of good KPP this draft looks stronger than first thought.
Now, you're starting to lift.......looking forward to see what you have up your sleeve for the remainder of the season mate.

Dodson and Nicholls have shown plenty for SA.

Tom Sims one to watch tomorrow.

Any medium forwards that are a very strong marking target that are taking your fancy for the Swans pick at around 23-25? Could also look at medium defenders as well as we are lighter in that area.

How do you rate this years talls vs last year? Eg O’Farrell, Mraz vs O’Sullivan, Croft, McCabe, Dawson etc. Or the KPfs?

Big game VM v WA.
Really looking forward to watching the following;
Luke Trainor - big fast ground should suit his game to a tee.
Charlie Richardson - wet weather made it really tough for the forwards last game. Peter ground for a high forward
Pat Retschko- again perfect ground for a running machine winger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any medium forwards that are a very strong marking target that are taking your fancy for the Swans pick at around 23-25? Could also look at medium defenders as well as we are lighter in that area.

Tobie Travgalia is a great med def and Josh Murphy is a great med forw, if they last until pick 20-odd im not sure, but they would be great options if available

How do you rate this years talls vs last year? Eg O’Farrell, Mraz vs O’Sullivan, Croft, McCabe, Dawson etc. Or the KPfs?
Walter, Curtin, Read, Caddy and O'Sullivan were all very strong talls, then you had Croft who was very athletic, then you had about 4 top rucks (Green, Goad, M.Edwards, Smith)and a few like McCabe, Dawson, A.Reid, Morris, Zakostelsky, Lloyd, Fawcett and Dear (X.Walsh - rookie)(19) which is nearly double the quality talls this year, a few i rate highly like Faull, Whitlock brothers, Trainor and O'Farrell with a few others i think are draft worthy like Shanahan, Mraz, Gerryn and Lockwood, Cole looks like he is likely to go to StK NGA and guys like Sims, Rohr and Nicholls could find spots on AFL lists?

Hi Davo-027 have you seen much off
Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness.
what i have seen of them, i dont think they are at the level to be drafted imo

Big game VM v WA.
Really looking forward to watching the following;
Luke Trainor - big fast ground should suit his game to a tee.
Charlie Richardson - wet weather made it really tough for the forwards last game. Peter ground for a high forward
Pat Retschko- again perfect ground for a running machine winger.
VM kept up with a fast starting WA and overtook them in the end, WA have performed much better than i thought and they have found some new players like Vic Country to improve their team.

Last edited:
VM kept up with a fast starting WA and overtook them in the end, WA have performed much better than i thought and they have found some new players like Vic Country to improve their team.
I’m not sure that’s the right phrase to be using. Where did they “find” these players?

For the non professional draft watchers, we don’t know who recruiters and scouts already had on their big boards.

Someone like Charlie Burke may not have garnered much attention over East, but would have been on WA scouts lists coming in to the season.

If a team needs a genuine winger, he’ll be a good second round option.

As I said a couple of months ago on here, this draft looks like it’s going to be a pretty deep draft for decent talent, just lacks in the very top end prospects that we’ve seen in recent drafts.

(Ie Travaglia) you rated him before others did, so hes your boy
barrack-obama-what-eyebrow-raise-6t4q02xebv408w7e.gif

Hey Davo-27 watched the WA games like Bo Allen for us at second pick but 2 others I didn’t know stood out. Your thoughts on Luke urqhuart and Hamish Davis? The latter reminds me of a young Luke McPharlin.
For VM Sims looks a likely KP great hands.

Hey Davo-27 watched the WA games like Bo Allen for us at second pick but 2 others I didn’t know stood out. Your thoughts on Luke urqhuart and Hamish Davis? The latter reminds me of a young Luke McPharlin.
For VM Sims looks a likely KP great hands.
Bo Allan looks good in the midfield, Luke Urquhart is a very direct long kicking mid who can burst away from congestion, Hamish Davis looks decent as well
Hi Davo-27 , I always like to see electric indigenous talent being drafted early. Kosi Pickett, Bobby Hill, Rankine etc.
Are there any fast small forward / mids with x factor at the pointy end who are indigenous?
Malakai Champion should fit the criteria

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back