Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Kako's strengths will translate better to AFL than Watson. I see Watson as a small man child (Gary Moorcroft) who wont have the same levels of improvement of other kids his age. Thats not to suggest he isnt or wont be a good player just limited because of his already mature body. Kako looks more in the Brad Close/Brent Daniels mould who can play that link role into the F50.
Brad close has been around for hundreds of years and his body isn’t mature?
IMG_4776.jpeg

Can anyone (davo or anyone else who knows their stuff) shed some light on exactly what type of mid FOS is?
I don't really have a clear picture from the bits I've read. Seems he's a good mark (not near the top of the ist of traits a great mid requires), is quite evasive & fairly good skills.

What I want to know is:
Production - Is he high production a-la your McKerchers, Jagga Smiths, or more quality of possession type player like Wardlaw
Pace - Is he your break from a stoppage type player, or first possession & dish to receiver (or neither)
Run - does he provide overlap run / through the lines
Contested - is he strong in the contest, wins a lot of his own ball, or more a balanced inside/outside mid
Skills - Good kicking skills (sounds like he's fairly decent)?

Who is he most comparable to? Some say Sam Walsh but is that just because they're related? Sam Walsh is a very high production player & I get the sense FOS isn't quite that.

Can anyone (davo or anyone else who knows their stuff) shed some light on exactly what type of mid FOS is?
I don't really have a clear picture from the bits I've read. Seems he's a good mark (not near the top of the ist of traits a great mid requires), is quite evasive & fairly good skills.

What I want to know is:
Production - Is he high production a-la your McKerchers, Jagga Smiths, or more quality of possession type player like Wardlaw
Pace - Is he your break from a stoppage type player, or first possession & dish to receiver (or neither)
Run - does he provide overlap run / through the lines
Contested - is he strong in the contest, wins a lot of his own ball, or more a balanced inside/outside mid
Skills - Good kicking skills (sounds like he's fairly decent)?

Who is he most comparable to? Some say Sam Walsh but is that just because they're related? Sam Walsh is a very high production player & I get the sense FOS isn't quite that.
I say hes more Adam Treloer mould

Taj Hotton played like Chris Judd early season, too bad he did his ACL, I wanted to see his champs, at this stage he could have been a sneaky pick 1 chance, Finn moves great and has great traits, but needs to show something before the year is out, especially getting his numbers up and making good decisions, but if he continues averaging 20 flat with mediocre impact he may slide, I never rated Smillie too high because of lack of running power, but I rate him 4-10 based on skill, IQ, size and the fact he usually performs in big games either off hbf or in the midfield

Last edited:
Sorry the thread has been slow this season, I have been busy with work, but I hope to get some time off soon, catch up on a bunch of games and share my opinions a bit more soon, cheers for your patience, hopefully I can catch up on some champs and u16s games and update future predictions as well.

Sorry the thread has been slow this season, I have been busy with work, but I hope to get some time off soon, catch up on a bunch of games and share my opinions a bit more soon, cheers for your patience, hopefully I can catch up on some champs and u16s games and update future predictions as well.
Take your time mate. Keen to hear your thoughts on the Campo twins and Cody Walker :)

I think the VM V VC game changed my rankings a bit, very disappointed with Finn O'Sullivan, could struggle to go top 5 the way he is playing, Sid Draper the only top 10 worthy player in good form and pushing his claims, Harvey Langford and Harry Armstrong pushing claims for top 10 status, Leo Lombard also has claims for pick 1, but academy/fathersons usually go 2 at the highest, Tobie Travaglia and Taj Hotton I would pick in my top 10, Murphy Reid likely to go pretty high I think 10-15, he has been good this champs and has been super clean in past champs/finals, Berry edges Kako imo, both should go top 30ish, Whitlock twins both played well and showed potential, they would both be in that 15-30 range of talents, lack of popping off disqualifies them from the pointy end imo, Day-Wicks had an impact, good to see him play well again, Adrian Cole will be a good Saints NGA pick up as I'm unsure if he gets picked before the cut off, but a good talent nonetheless, Alix Tauru could get picked early and the Hawks could miss out on a strong defender as an NGA he was pretty impressive at the champs, but if he slides because of the depth of the draft I'll take it as a win.

As for the draft it is weak at the pointy end with no real obvious top 2-5 players, i was hoping FOS would pop off and provide some elite talent, but he is not performing, it seems to have depth elsewhere in the draft and for recruiters with a keen eye they could pick up some bargains.

Last edited:
I think the VM V VC game changed my rankings a bit, very disappointed with Finn O'Sullivan, could struggle to go top 5 the way he is playing, Sid Draper the only top 10 worthy player in good form and pushing his claims, Harvey Langford and Harry Armstrong pushing claims for top 10 status, Leo Lombard also has claims for pick 1, but academy/fathersons usually go 2 at the highest, Tobie Travaglia and Taj Hotton I would pick in my top 10, Murphy Reid likely to go pretty high I think 10-15, he has been good this champs and has been super clean in past champs/finals, Berry edges Kako imo, both should go top 30ish, Whitlock twins both played well and showed potential, they would both be in that 15-30 range of talents, lack of popping off disqualifies them from the pointy end imo, Day-Wicks had an impact, good to see him play well again, Adrian Cole will be a good Saints NGA pick up as I'm unsure if he gets picked before the cut off, but a good talent nonetheless, Alix Tauru could get picked early and the Hawks could miss out on a strong defender as an NGA he was pretty impressive at the champs, but if he slides because of the depth of the draft I'll take it as a win.
I am on the Tauru bandwagon at the moment, thought he showed enough elements to get drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for the draft it is weak at the pointy end with no real obvious top 2-5 players, i was hoping FOS would pop off and provide some elite talent, but he is not performing, it seems to have depth elsewhere in the draft and for recruiters with a keen eye they could pick up some bargains.
I tend to agree. If FoS is injured he shouldn’t have played. He’ll still get drafted high but not at the heights Twomey keeps banging on about. I’ve been on Smil for a while but I’ve gone off him. Others have gone ahead imo. Jagga was great today but wouldn’t expect anything less. Langford has bont attributes. Travaglia will seemlessly fit into being an afl player. Armstrong will be this years biggest bolter. How’s his pack mark in the last few mins. X factor. As it’s a tough draft to select maybe we will see some Geelong style picks at the backend.

Make it a top 55

Harry Armstrong - Sand - 193cm kpf finally fit and looking draft worthy, hahls of 4,3 and 4 in last 3 games could bolt
Alex Dodson - Sturt - 203cm ruck getting some hype, with a lack of top tier rucks could be draft worthy
Hamish Davis - Clare - 190cm med forw with ability to win a good amount of disposal and kick bags in wafl colts

Called it early!

Do you have a specific knock on Xavier Lindsay Davo-27?
It's not a knock but he reminds me of Xavier Duursma who is imo an average AFL player, good at a lot of things, but doesn't stand out, Duursma went at 18 he might go 20s or 30s? He had a good game though and could spark interest earlier? Who knows?

Tobie Travaglia .... I would pick in my top 10
giphy.gif

July 2024 Rankings - Top 52

1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh (VC) - 182cm
2. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham (Bris FS) - 179cm
3. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A - 178cm
4. Sid Draper - Sth Adel - 180cm
5. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm
6. Jonty Faull - GWV - 195cm
7. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 194cm
8. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm
9. Harry O'Farrell - Calder - 196cm
10. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm
11. Taj Hotton - Sandringham - 182cm (acl injury)
12. Josh Murphy - Murray - 190cm
13. Tyler Welsh - WWT (Adel FS)- 191cm
14. Christian Moraes - Eastern - 183cm
15. Murphy Reid - Sandringham - 180cm
16. Jack Whitlock - Murray - 200cm
17. Harvey Langford - Dandenong - 190cm
18. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 186cm
19. Sam Marshall - Sandringham (Bris A) - 185cm
20. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm
21. Bo Allan - Peel - 191cm
22. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 185cm
23. Joe Berry - Murray - 180cm