Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad Twomey doesn't rate Moraes as much as others. The guys skills are horrendous. He literally kicked it into the man on the mark and kicked it into his stomach. No-one with any sort of game sense gets that close to the man on the mark. He also often runs into trouble, has no awareness around. He's like a 6 foot Sam Frost with worse skills and worse awareness.

Davo-27 do u think the Pies will select Quaynor?

I think the Pies have a couple NGAs they will pick up Doug Kerr and Quaynor
Is Harry Armstrong not eligible?
He has been injured a fair bit early season, but has always looked a talent, I don't know why I didn't rate him higher earlier? I think it was because Ludowyke was killing it for Sandy and it seemed he was ahead of Armstrong, but later I was told it was because he was injured at the time.

I think the Pies have a couple NGAs they will pick up Doug Kerr and Quaynor

He has been injured a fair bit early season, but has always looked a talent, I don't know why I didn't rate him higher earlier? I think it was because Ludowyke was killing it for Sandy and it seemed he was ahead of Armstrong, but later I was told it was because he was injured at the time.

Warned you about Armstrong after the Haileybury v CGS game earlier this season. Anyone watching him that day could tell he was a high end talent. Not surprised that he’s now talked about in the first round by Twomey.

You dont have to worry the AFL are changing the rules just in time to help you out....

AFL proposes change to NGA access for this year’s draft - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1173998
Things don't always go our way draft wise so it certainly is nice to be able to have access to a player who fills a critical list need. Feel for Melbourne with Mac Andrew though :(

Things don't always go our way draft wise so it certainly is nice to be able to have access to a player who fills a critical list need. Feel for Melbourne with Mac Andrew though :(
Buffdog, do you feel for us with Ryley Sanders?

He was never really yours. You added him in his draft year when you found out he was a gun. Shouldn’t of been allowed
He actually was in our academy before it was abandoned around covid time. He was from our Tasmanian zone, he had trained with us, got to know the people at the club and this was 4/5 years before he got drafted. The only reason the AFL took so long to make it official in my opinion are a couple of reasons, recruiters kicking up a stink about us getting Ryley as a NGA prospect, we had to show that Ryley has an indigenous background.

Being a top 5 player in the draft {would people have kicked up a stink if he was say rated a second round prospect and the answer to that is no, I'm actually quite sure that some recruiters wouldn't have cared too much but since he was one of the best players at draft time they thought of there own interests and that we were getting too much which if we go back over the last twenty years to what some clubs got is very funny, but that's been done to death and we must fix it for the future.

The funny thing is now the AFL have changed it so only the clubs that have academy players, can now only go to one club, now I actually don't mind this, but this maybe should have happened from the start, I mean if your club produces a top 10 prospect and you can't get him because lets face it he "aint" lasting to pick 40 is mind blowing to say the least. The news I was hearing months ago was that it was going to be top 20, again it doesn't solve the problem, if anything it makes the AFL look amateurish and not understanding the problems with NGA academies and the draft being so compromised its not funny.

This is not even getting to the umpire problem that is now so bad its probably the worst I can remember, I feel sorry for the umpires who have to implement these changes and changing rules and interpretations to what we were brought up with. Watch in a game when some of these decisions are made on the football field, players literally unless its so clear cut will look at the umpire, they don't even know, to me that's sad, yet the AFL say the umpires are doing a great job to try and stem the tide that is building, they are trying, but the stress is getting to a point of no return, that is why umpires are getting out of it. Trying to speed the game up, trying to break congestion and 666 and so on and so on, rather than admit they went to far they go in the opposite direction and say the game has never been better, as Spock would say, fascinating.

Academies just further compromise the draft and are unfair in that some will be strong and others weak. The AFL should run them all and have all players in the open pool but that's too logical and fair for those crooked ****wits.
I think they should cap the number of places available for non-complient draftees. This would include academies and F/S. For example, maximum of 1 per draft and 3 per list? Or 2 per 5 year period?

And the discounts should be replaced with requiring a matching draft pick including a pick within the next 10 picks for bids in the first 2 rounds ( possibility to use a future pick within 5 picks payable in the next draft and an additional points premium of +10%). The remaining points value to be made up in full by lesser picks.

In the end the academies at least have the shape of supporting player development. F/S is simply a rort which advantages certain clubs and penalises others. It deserves no compensation or support.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they should cap the number of places available for non-complient draftees. This would include academies and F/S.

And the discounts should be replaced with requiring a matching draft pick including a pick within the next 10 picks for bids in the first 2 rounds ( possibility to use a future pick within 5 picks payable in the next draft and an additional points premium of +10%). The remaining points value to be made up in full by lesser picks.

In the end the academies at least have the shape of supporting player development. F/S is simply a rort which advantages certain clubs and penalises others. It deserves no compensation or support.
Yeah, it's definitely not fair that WA and SA clubs get to claim the sons of blokes who played in inferior leagues. ;)

Yeah, it's definitely not fair that WA and SA clubs get to claim the sons of blokes who played in inferior leagues. ;)
It's not fair that any established club is given an advantage, especially in recruitment.

I mean, are you really putting an argument for f/s selections on the basis of fairness? Please explain.

Last edited:
The one thing we should all be able to agree on is that the AFL is incompetent. To that end, no one should make suggestions to add rules what we need is far less “governance.” Let the clubs manage themselves they don’t need morons from the legal profession creating jobs for themselves by making incomprehensible rules.

Everyone should have an academy but the first round should be avaliable to everyone. The price paid needs to increased! The afl is just making it worse with there nga decision

It's not fair that any established club is given an advantage, especially in recruitment.

I mean, are you really putting an argument for f/s selections on the basis of fairness? Please explain.
I'm not putting an argument either way. Logically f/son should be done away with if you want an uncompromised draft.

But then you get first dibs on sons of players not good enough for the big league, so who has the advantage?

I don't know if Freo has had any father-sons but West Coast got Cousins, whose dad only played 67 games at the top level - and for another club! Adelaide got Michalanney as a f/son and his dad didn't play a single game at the top level! Brisbane got Jon Brown as a f/son and his dad only played 51 games - for Fitzroy!

Nick Blakey's dad played 150+ games for Fitzroy and 200-odd for Norf, so of course the Swans got him as an academy player as a reward for introducing him to football!

It's the AFL! Everything's compromised! Nothing's fair! Everything's stupid! Nothing makes sense! Dill earned that six week mid-season break in the south of France! Simon Lethlean deserves $600k per year to root secretaries! Laughing Laura is doing a great job! We love grey areas! We're comfortable with that umpiring decision/score review/Meatloaf performance! Shut up pleb and enjoy your cold pie and warm beer! These are not the droids you're looking for!

He was never really yours. You added him in his draft year when you found out he was a gun. Shouldn’t of been allowed
What nonsense. Sanders was in North's Tassie academy squad since he was twelve, longer than Andrew was in Melbourne's or Windhager and Owens were in St.Kilda's. However the AFL, for whatever reason, needed convincing of his Aboriginal ancestry. That was the only reason he wasn't confirmed as 'available' to us earlier.

My 2 cents re academies.

The AFL should have stuck with the policy it had (access after pick 40) and gradually pulled back the earlier access Northern clubs have.

With the new /reinstated ruling, in 5 -10 years is it possible we might see every high end pick is assigned to an academy? Or are there protocols to restrict this?
Potentially the clubs with better zones and greater negotiating / recruiting power will win out.... Clubs will be moving families into their zones and we will be back to the issues of VFL zoning from late 60s to late 80s.

The draft would no longer be a useful equalisation mechanism in this scenario. It would be the opposite.

Last edited:
What nonsense. Sanders was in North's Tassie academy squad since he was twelve, longer than Andrew was in Melbourne's or Windhager and Owens were in St.Kilda's. However the AFL, for whatever reason, needed convincing of his Aboriginal ancestry. That was the only reason he wasn't confirmed as 'available' to us earlier.
Then why did you have to get permission from the afl for him to be added to your nga in his draft year?

Then why did you have to get permission from the afl for him to be added to your nga in his draft year?
He wasn't added to our NGA then. He had been in it for years, as had other first rounders, McKercher and Leake. The issue was whether we could get access to Ryley based on his background - which the AFL didn't confirm until shortly before the draft.

The academies remain largely a rort. The ethnicity based argument is a monstrous furphy.

Ryley Sanders’ grand father and great uncle were North Launceston “royalty” fifty years ago. If they had indigenous blood, it was significantly diluted back that far. (I do understand there may be some First Nations influence on his female side)

Academies should be for people new to the game, or perhaps in “remote” areas, regardless of ethnicity, or free for all based on geography. The constant grey is infuriating. The constant societal divisions predicated on a modicum of blood in one’s ancestry is counterproductive to claims we are a multi cultural society.

The suggestion that Cody Walker has ties to an Academy based across the state when he is from Carlton royalty and tied by father - son is testament to that.

The academies remain largely a rort. The ethnicity based argument is a monstrous furphy.

Ryley Sanders’ grand father and great uncle were North Launceston “royalty” fifty years ago. If they had indigenous blood, it was significantly diluted back that far. (I do understand there may be some First Nations influence on his female side)

Academies should be for people new to the game, or perhaps in “remote” areas, regardless of ethnicity, or free for all based on geography. The constant grey is infuriating. The constant societal divisions predicated on a modicum of blood in one’s ancestry is counterproductive to claims we are a multi cultural society.

The suggestion that Cody Walker has ties to an Academy based across the state when he is from Carlton royalty and tied by father - son is testament to that.
Yeah the northern academies do the same. They are suppose to grow the game but add players like Blakey and other father sons who were going to play football no matter what star they were in. It’s crap

Yeah the northern academies do the same. They are suppose to grow the game but add players like Blakey and other father sons who were going to play football no matter what star they were in. It’s crap
I am less inclined to complain about the Northern Academies historically, but the game is growing. FWIW I have no problem with father-son prospects becoming available in Northern Academies under current criteria. If dad relocates interstate and the kid grows up in an environment where the academy is “the only game in town” to progress in pathways, the kid can’t be blamed for staying with his mates. There does need to be some chronological guidelines. No sponsored relocating to arrange eligibility under shonky terms after a year or two.

I would favour a dramatically altered model, giving every club a zone for academies and returning to a tribal arrangement, with kids able to nominate zone club or open draft preference when they come of age.

The Suns need to be rewarded for their work growing the game, no problem with them getting their “products” but they must pay for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back