Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends on which picks Richmond have access to in 2025 if they pick up Archie Ludowyke, he should go top 3 with Dyson Sharp a top quality player from SA and i think Oliver Greeves who i really liked last year and has been a bit injury interrupted this year but i think could go early too, this year Richmond may well pick up FOS, but he hasn't got a great group of performances in his draft year to feel confident on using pick 1 on him, they could also choose another of the handful competing for pick 1 as there is no guarantee pick 1 as far as I can tell this year.

Harry Armstrong is a good height and build, I liked that he took responsibility and won the u18 champsionships with his contested marking and 5 goal haul in somewhat of a grand final after Vic country threatened to take the game away from Vic Metro, I also liked what I saw in pre-season from Armstrong when Sandringham crushed Oakleigh at RSEA, he was injured and so missed a couple of games during the CTL season, but has a good record when he has played CTL, his combine results will be important, but I think he is top quality and at the same level of most of the mids who could go pick 1 and seeing as KPFs are harder to find and you have access to an early pick i thought investing in a key forward is a likely possibility, or the Kangas could pick him because other than Larkey they lack KPF options other than makeshift forw/def Pink.

If you don't finish in the bottom 2 next year you might not have the option to pick Archie Ludowyke and trading into the top 2 picks is near impossible, so why not Harry this year? Unless you want to roll the dice on FOS coming good?
I understand what you’re saying, I think Richmond end up with 2 top ten picks somehow this year including the number 1 pick. So we could very wellpick Harry Armstrong. I personally believe Richmond will end up with a top 3 pick next year I don’t see us competing. I only see Oliver Greeves or Archie as options as picking interstate players doesn’t sit well with me knowing they could get home sick and want to leave.

I thought FOS did good for playing as a forward and only 50% game time. He had 2 goals 1 and 6 score involvements. Just seemed to be a class above, shame he didn’t get midfield time in the VFL. It just seems when he gets the ball something is going to happen, that’s the kind of player you want. But in the end it is just my opinion and I have no idea what Richmond will do.

I understand what you’re saying, I think Richmond end up with 2 top ten picks somehow this year including the number 1 pick. So we could very wellpick Harry Armstrong. I personally believe Richmond will end up with a top 3 pick next year I don’t see us competing. I only see Oliver Greeves or Archie as options as picking interstate players doesn’t sit well with me knowing they could get home sick and want to leave.

I thought FOS did good for playing as a forward and only 50% game time. He had 2 goals 1 and 6 score involvements. Just seemed to be a class above, shame he didn’t get midfield time in the VFL. It just seems when he gets the ball something is going to happen, that’s the kind of player you want. But in the end it is just my opinion and I have no idea what Richmond will do.
FOS is an option and could go at pick 1, he has the class ect, but I want to see him play good footy in the finals series or something to justify it.

FOS is an option and could go at pick 1, he has the class ect, but I want to see him play good footy in the finals series or something to justify it.
Yeah that’s fair, I don’t really know who the other option will be for number 1 other than the two mentioned being a KPF or FOS. Draper is out of the question, I question Jaggas ball use, Smilie lackluster nationals maybe Langford? I’m not sure.

Yeah that’s fair, I don’t really know who the other option will be for number 1 other than the two mentioned being a KPF or FOS. Draper is out of the question, I question Jaggas ball use, Smilie lackluster nationals maybe Langford? I’m not sure.
Why is Draper out of the question? Has he said he doesn't want to move states?

Davo-27 apologies if you have already covered this. What range do u see Moreas getting taken. I see he’s playing VFL for BH today as well.
Like so many of this year's crop he had a better underage year than draft year, I think some were talking him up as a top 10 chance? I think he has talent, good movement, wins a bit of the ball more outside than contested, can kick a goal, kicking in general is a bit of a negative for him it can be sloppy, but can pull off some quality moves, I think late first or early 2nd round would be my range for him, I heard he was playing for Box Hill which will give him a chance to impress against seasoned opponents.

Like so many of this year's crop he had a better underage year than draft year, I think some were talking him up as a top 10 chance? I think he has talent, good movement, wins a bit of the ball more outside than contested, can kick a goal, kicking in general is a bit of a negative for him it can be sloppy, but can pull off some quality moves, I think late first or early 2nd round would be my range for him, I heard he was playing for Box Hill which will give him a chance to impress against seasoned opponents.
Thanks mate. Valid opinion. Will be interesting to see how he goes in a team oriented side as what I’ve seen he tends to burn his teammates at CTL.

I just noticed "The Footy Yarn" is doing his PIG competition content for Baseline Sports on YouTube, for anyone who enjoys those YouTube videos they are on baseline sports channel since 4 months ago.

But I do like him a lot if that means anything. It is just a personal opinion after potentially seeing baker, Bolton leave. Otherwise I’d be stoked if they got him or the Fossil
Perfect timing to trade those 2 isn't it?
  • this draft has the depth that makes it ideal for rebuilding. It is also very strong from Victoria if that is a real concern for you.
  • Tasmania entering in a couple of years will set back the pace of near-future rebuilds.
  • at the least Fremantle will pay fair value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfect timing to trade those 2 isn't it?
  • this draft has the depth that makes it ideal for rebuilding. It is also very strong from Victoria if that is a real concern for you.
  • Tasmania entering in a couple of years will set back the pace of near-future rebuilds.
  • at the least Fremantle will pay fair value.
I understand but I just don’t think losing experience will help Richmond. Don’t want a North Melbourne scenario.

Jobe Shanahan has had a good few games for Ess VFL Team and late bag of goals at the champs, ever since I dropped him from my top 10 he decides to play like a top 10 prospect, happens every year, I had Langford in the 1st round late last year, then after I drop him down the rankings he has a great year, only his speed holding him back from a top 5-10 pick.

I over rated some of the SA Talent, I thought their u16s form would hold more weight than it did, they ended up the worst performing team at the champs, so had to drop a few down the order that I had very high previously.

Jobe Shanahan has had a good few games for Ess VFL Team and late bag of goals at the champs, ever since I dropped him from my top 10 he decides to play like a top 10 prospect, happens every year, I had Langford in the 1st round late last year, then after I drop him down the rankings he has a great year, only his speed holding him back from a top 5-10 pick.

I over rated some of the SA Talent, I thought their u16s form would hold more weight than it did, they ended up the worst performing team at the champs, so had to drop a few down the order that I had very high previously.
Be a bit realistic, what would you expect from a state disadvantaged by population size.
Vic 6.9 m (two teams)
WA 2.9 m
SA 1.9 m

Then there is the Allies that can select from Tas, NSW, Qld and NT.
In the end the numbers will get you.
"the worst performing team", on numbers, that's where you would expect the SA team to finish.
May be there should be two Allies teams or three Vic teams. In the end it's all about discovering the best talent and not belittling smaller population states.

Be a bit realistic, what would you expect from a state disadvantaged by population size.
Vic 6.9 m (two teams)
WA 2.9 m
SA 1.9 m

Then there is the Allies that can select from Tas, NSW, Qld and NT.
In the end the numbers will get you.
"the worst performing team", on numbers, that's where you would expect the SA team to finish.
May be there should be two Allies teams or three Vic teams. In the end it's all about discovering the best talent and not belittling smaller population states.
SA usually perform well at u18s, except for the last 3 years, SA also has more players in the AFL than WA and the Allies region, they are just lacking in talent recently, I over rated some SA Talent because they won the u16s champs against VM and I thought they would go close to doing the same in u18s, but I guess some of the players didn't develop as well athletically as other players did?

SA usually perform well at u18s, except for the last 3 years, SA also has more players in the AFL than WA and the Allies region, they are just lacking in talent recently, I over rated some SA Talent because they won the u16s champs against VM and I thought they would go close to doing the same in u18s, but I guess some of the players didn't develop as well athletically as other players did?
Is that the players or the lack of development afforded to them, for mine the SA development has been sub standard for some time now.

Fair enough, but the disparity will widen.

Top 30 update 2025

1. Archie Ludowyke - Sand - 195cm
2. Dyson Sharp - Cent Dist - 188cm
3. Oliver Greeves - Eastern - 191cm
4. Fred Rodriguez - Sth Freo - 185cm
5. Blake Kelly - Swan Dist - 182cm
6. Riley Onley - Murray - 194cm
7. Louis Emmett - Oakleigh - 198cm
8. Lachlan Dovaston - Eastern - 176cm
9. Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier - Nth Adel - 182cm
10. Noah Hibbins-Hargreaves - Dand - 185cm
11. Basil Hart - Peel - 185cm
12. Zeke Uwland - Gold Coast A - 177cm
13. Cody Curtin - Clarem - 197cm
14. Daniel Annable - Brisbane A - 183cm
15. Thomas McGuane - Western - 177cm
16. Noah Roberts-Thompson - Sturt - 180cm
17. Jack Dalton - Sand - 177cm
18. Cooper Duff-Tytler - Cald - 199cm
19. Tairon Ah-Mu - Dand - 198cm
20. Willem Duursma - Gipps - 191cm
21. Marcus Cassidy - East Perth - 187cm
22. Xavier Bamert - Sand - 184cm
23. Dylan Patterson - Gold Coast A - 183cm
24. Jadd Hill - Perth - 178cm
25. Jobe Scapin - Gipps - 186cm
26. Sam Grij - Oakleigh - 182cm
27. Toby Whan - Sth Freo - 182cm
28. Zach O'Keefe - Gipps - 177cm
29. Raphael Geesu - Bris A - 175cm
30. Harry Morphett - Geel - 180cm
A few additions to 2025 rankings

Sam Swadling - West Perth 187cm
Ryder Corrigan - Murray/GWS/NSW 185cm
Thomas Burton - Western 178cm
Sam Lewis - Dand 186cm
Jasper Russell - Dand 176cm
Noah Chamberlain - Syd A - 192cm
Lachlan Carmichael - Syd A - 183cm

Good to see Harry Morphett playing again after breaking his leg at the u16s, he looks like a very talented player at the u16s and I hope he comes back to playing good footy again in his draft year next year and getting some confidence playing this year.

Last edited:
If the Allies are as strong as their watchers are saying, we are going to have a very exciting 18's championship because I can assure all and sundry WA has a very strong list. It could all go pear shaped with injuries and early developers who go backwards but so far so good and new players are being found each week. So different to the 2024 list which has been a struggle since day 1.

Edit: mate can you put the Vic Country players in grey just so those of us interstate get an idea who they will rep?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back