Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean giving us the pick used to draft LeCras for Chad Morrison?
Or giving us a compo pick we could activate at our leisure in return for a third-rounder we weren't going to use?
Or giving us a premiership midfielder in exchange for pick 18?

What did we get for Williams (number 37 iirc?) back in the day? Anything would have been worth it.

Edit: Chippa Adkins!

He had very good points and makes more sense then Plough not giving any proper reason for him not being available.

I hope there are no Wallace relatives here but the man is a douche.

Doesn't understand ours or Melbourne's list needs at all. We have Ball J Thomas and probably Adams so we have no need of an inside mid like Sheed and Melbourne have Viney, Jones et al. If WC needs are addressed by Sheed or Acres your certain to get one or the other,most likely a choice between the two, or five players you can't split.

As Hine mentioned in the interview, one Elliot Yeo is entirely forgotten. He's the only known quantity at senior level yet and I reckon he's a steal at 2nd round. He'll probably be better than most players available in this draft in the top 15.

How much have you actually seen of Sheed?

A few of his championship and WAFL games this year, as well as whatever highlight packages I've been able to find, so I admit, not an awful lot. But together with write-ups from more knowledgeable sources and the opinion of a few people I know who've played colts footy with him, I believe I have a solid idea of the sort of player he is (and for that matter other players in the draft which have interested me). I'd imagine everyone on this board (barring a select few) have followed similar vain in formulating their opinions of players to discuss in this thread. After all, it is simply internet speculation.

So according to the Twomey, If I recall correctly on trade radio, he said:
Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Aish, Schranberg, Kolodjashnij will be the top 6 (no particular order)

Then you have the next bracket including Freeman, Lennon, Salem, Bontempelli.

So 'If' Sheed's the guy we are after, we obviously rate him higher than Bontempelli, Freeman, Lennon, Salem, and one of Schranberg or Kolodjashnij.

I guess at Pick 6, would we have taken lets just say for arguments sake, Schranberg/Kolodjashnij or Freeman or Lennon or Salem or Bontempelli or would we have taken Sheed anyway?

Take my hat off to Collingwood, managed to greatly strengthen their draft position 2 years running. Unfortunately, at our expense on both accounts. Perplexing stuff. A bit of sodomy in the morning.

And goodbye potentially elite slider at 6. Scharenberg and Kolodjashnij are absolute guns, perfect sizes for modern midfield rotations, class, versatility, composure, play reading ability, athleticism and most importantly, beautiful footskills. Can only hope we take Acres now, good size, strong overhead mark inside/out with decent skills off both feet. But lets face the truth, Sheed looks a ready made Eagle: one-paced, one-sided, shortish, average skills, but a real goer with decent footy smarts and inside positioning. I honestly see him as a slight variation on Priddis: Better spread from congestion, movement and finishing (although this is no real triumph, molasses moves with more grace than Ploddus) but with less inside grunt, tackling ability.

Did you watch Sheed's highlight video?

He's no slouch. He's obviously slow off the mark, but when he can gather it on the run, he's off.

One sided? He let rip with some natural looking right footers without even thinking. Better than three quarters of our current squad already.

Shortish. He's short on paper, but he has long legs and it seems as though he plays a lot taller than what he really is. Watch his highlights, he wouldn't be much taller than the rest, but he plays like it.

Average skills.. His skills are very good. Beautiful left footed kick, decent right footer and can take a big mark up forward.

He's strong too. Few clips of him disposing of a couple of opposition players.

Why didn't we push for pick 10 instead of eleven ?
We are a bunch of soft *ocks considering what Collingwood have done to us in the past,
Shame on you Vozzo, limp wristed nancy boy who doesnt have the balls to push our case.
There is no such thing as a "gentlemens agreement" when you want to be the best.
You must be able to stomp on your mother if you need to, that's the gig.
If Sheed or Acres slip Im ringing him & going "Ari Gold " on him .

BTW what do you guys think of James Tsalis,Really impressed with this big bodied kid who is ready to play senior footy, I think he must be in our calculations at pick 28, will he last till then?

Collingwood hasn't exactly butt r*ped us in the past. They took Chad Morrison off us for the pick that netted Lecca!

There isn't much chat about our second pick.

If we hadn't done this trade our second pick would have been 44, hardly inspiring stuff. Now that it's 28 we have a good shot at getting a decent midfielder.

I think on draft day we are going to jag someone with 28 with the usual (I can't believe we got him), and we'll all be thanking Lord Vozzo that he upgraded our pick 44.

How many gun inside mids have heaps of speed? Mitchell? Black?
How many left footers ever need to use their right foot?
He does not have average skills and in most write ups his foot skills are actually quite good.

What sort of argument is that? One course one can be an elite inside midfielder despite not possessing heaps of speed (as evidenced by your chosen examples), nor must they be dual-sided, or have elite footskills on their preferred foot, or overhead ability, etc.. But the more desirable qualities we rule out for a given player, the less likely they are to be elite/quality. (Case in point, Priddis, Scooter)

From what I've seen, I'll maintain Sheed has average footskills. Whilst he's not a bad finisher in front of goals, he is not one to hit a flat pass for a leading target. And given that Gaff is the sole exponent of this in our midfield, I'd have thought acquiring a player capable of doing so would be high on our agenda, particularly considering we have a useful high draft pick in 6, with many likely candidates with said tools expected to be available in this region (Kolodjashnij, Scharenberg, Freemen, etc.) ....................................... Oh wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sad part is that if we end up getting Sheed or whoever it is we want at pick #11 it's a very good trade for us, IN ISOLATION.

However fact is it appears that Collingwood dictated the the terms and while we POSSIBLY win from this trade it looks like the Pies have already massively won.

We seriously lack balls.

The sad part is that if we end up getting Sheed or whoever it is we want at pick #11 it's a very good trade for us, IN ISOLATION.

However fact is it appears that Collingwood dictated the the terms and while we POSSIBLY win from this trade it looks like the Pies have already massively won.

We seriously lack balls.

Didn't we approach Collingwood to make the trade?

My main concern is the lack of Yeo - Collingwood nailed the White trade immediately, why are we still waiting?

You'd think we'd have only done this with the clear indication that one of the picks would be passed on straight away.

Did you watch Sheed's highlight video?

He's no slouch. He's obviously slow off the mark, but when he can gather it on the run, he's off.

One sided? He let rip with some natural looking right footers without even thinking. Better than three quarters of our current squad already.

Shortish. He's short on paper, but he has long legs and it seems as though he plays a lot taller than what he really is. Watch his highlights, he wouldn't be much taller than the rest, but he plays like it.

Average skills.. His skills are very good. Beautiful left footed kick, decent right footer and can take a big mark up forward.

He's strong too. Few clips of him disposing of a couple of opposition players.

Yeah, I've watched a few of his championship and WAFL games, as well as a few highlight vids. Whilst he's no slouch, he's not speedy by any means. Faster than Priddis and Hutch, but that's bout it from our midfield (which is slow at best). And if you're a likely first round midfielder, at the least you should be able to put the ball on the opposite boot for distance, Sheed is fully capable of this, however I wouldn't be confident of him hitting precise targets on his opposite (or preferred for that matter, particularly on the run, in a high-intensity, pressure situation. I agree height is not a drastic problem usually, but given our distinct lack of it in the middle, I'd have thought we'd be set on a tall mid this year, considering there's an abundance of them in the top 10. I've given my opinion on his skills.

Again, this is simply my opinion. Now that we lost 6 and any chance of a slider, I'm set on Acres.

If we get the player we were after at 11 yeo is effectively free ! Then we have a second rounder to build our list ! I am stoked IF we get our man at the draft !

My main concern is the lack of Yeo - Collingwood nailed the White trade immediately, why are we still waiting?

You'd think we'd have only done this with the clear indication that one of the picks would be passed on straight away.

Maybe Brisbane are hoping that Freo are able to wangle something but I can't see you being bettered. Brisbane probably want your natural 2nd round over pick 31 but you hold the whip hand here so I wouldn't worry.

It seems like we're going into this draft very needs focused rather than going Best Available.

We need inside mids and we want Sheed.

Will it come back to bite us? I hope not..

Sheed and Yeo better be worth it. Fingers crossed..

It seems like we're going into this draft very needs focused rather than going Best Available.

We need inside mids and we want Sheed.

Will it come back to bite us? I hope not..

Sheed and Yeo better be worth it. Fingers crossed..

I think that is only half true. Yes, we are going in needs focused, however that is because there are a large number of mids available in the same range, any of which can be considered the best available. Therefore, most clubs are selecting the one that best matches up with their needs. For Collingwood, Brisbane, and Melbourne, that is an outside mid or utility. For us, we want the inside mid.

We seriously lack balls.

Assuming that we want Sheed/Acres then this trade makes perfect sense and is will benefit WCE as we can obtain an additional second round pick. The fact that Collingwood also benefits is irrelevant.

The only time this trade looks bad for us is if Sheed/Acres get drafted before pick 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back