List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a dickhead....either way they'd be ****en dumb to do that trade
I mean if any club were dumb enough to do it….

It’d be Gold Coast. Then 50 light years worth of daylight, and then Melbourne (probably)

But yeah I agree, wishful thinking on my part.

Disagree - if it was good, it would happen all the time.

• One team gets nothing, not good for club relations and future trade opportunities.
  • Club is viewed by players and player managers as a difficult operator and won't do what's necessary to get a deal done
  • Player who's nominated you is left in uncertain limbo - I.e. risk that Richmond will pick Baker up in the PSD before us.

It's just an all round shitshow. Yeah a zero sum approach might give you something to beat your chest about in the short term, but in the long term it's more damaging than good.
He may have nominated WC but that doesn't mean WC have pay overs for him. Take whats on offer or re-sign with Richmond, go to Freo or hello PSD...WC don't have to play nice ...high end draft picks are priority

He may have nominated WC but that doesn't mean WC have pay overs for him. Take whats on offer or re-sign with Richmond, go to Freo or hello PSD...WC don't have to play nice ...high end draft picks are priority
He's nominated us because we offered him more money and years.

No way should we pay overs for him, but that doesn't mean we should **** him around to get him for free. A second rounder + something else should get it done

This can not be true.

Carlton have nothing but 12 and 14 to give up and surely Clarke can not be taking that for 3.

Bo Allan and Baker and future picks from this trade period is

WCE would bite their hand off.

Trouble is Dees would never do that.
Is 3 + Barrass too much for 5 + 9 plus future pick... give Horks the finger.
Split 9 with Swans 19, 22.
22 for Baker.
Go to draft 5,19 and still have our 2nd.

Do we have anything to base that off other than FlyPies Pies Content saying it?

Probably a Code Sports article (which I can’t find?) that has Collingwood listed as one of the possible clubs and they’ve scraped it from that.
It’s Ralphs article.

The Lions are keen to keep former first round pick Dev Robertson as he assesses interest from West Coast.

The midfielder would like to get to the Pies but their dealings with Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston would likely have to fall over for Collingwood to enter the picture.

West Coast also has some interest but has plenty of trade balls in the air, with Robertson’s salary of around $500,000 not helping his trade prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s Ralphs article

The Lions are keen to keep former first round pick Dev Robertson as he assesses interest from West Coast.

The midfielder would like to get to the Pies but their dealings with Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston would likely have to fall over for Collingwood to enter the picture.

West Coast also has some interest but has plenty of trade balls in the air, with Robertson’s salary of around $500,000 not helping his trade prospects.
Kind of wild he's on $500k, plays in the 2's and had never solidified his position in the team

If you do the maths on that Demons/Bombers trade

I mean lets assume Demons finish say 10th then its

8/28/40 for pick 9 which is a -1200 point draft loss

Hawks got F1st and F2nd for pick 14

Lets say Carlton finish 4th. Hawks got pick 14 + 32 or 580 points more

All up Hawks are missing 700 points in their trade and want us to pay the price for it?

No thanks. See ya next year TB

Hawthorn trading out 14 to try and trade back in 13 is like a department in an organisation trying to justify its ongoing existence by making changes that aren't necessary.

"Oh we're taking your old access card off you and giving you a new one. We've replaced the access points on all entrances - you'll no longer need to swipe your old access card through the scanner, but just press your new access card up against the scanner. We've found it to be 0.7% more efficient and it only cost the company $1.3 million!"

A few observations:

1. Who has ever said we planned giving up 14 for Baker? Surely a media invention? We should only be offering our R2. If that's not enough, fine, Tigers need to convince him to go to Fremantle. Any talking of splitting #3 for Baker is crazy.

2. Like last year with Harley, the maths doesn't work. I'd cough up #3 for #5+9, but Dees would be dumb to do that. You'd basically swap for one pick inside 6, and another inside 10. If that first pick isn't #6 or better, it's getting away from us. The only clubs where they have a draft hand that will satisfy us, we won't satisfy them. We will hold #3.

3. Smith, Draper, O'Sully. One of those three. While we don't know if Langford, Reid, Lalor, or Smillie or someone else ends up the best, these guy look like the best options.

4. Barrass is worth 8-10. I think their best offer was 14. I would have taken 14 plus an F1/F2 swap. Now they're offering F1 and F2 (and want us to give them back F3). F1 and F2 alone is worth less than 14. Spankers. They need to give us 2x F1 and we send them our F2 in return. In the mean time, I'd be asking Tommy if he is open to going to another club because we don't think the Hawks really want him. While I want to offload him, I don't want to get pantsed over it either.

5. If Hawks do give us 2x F1, we give 2 of our first round picks to Sydney for Warner (if he wants to come to us). They'll ask for all 3, but we just tell them 2 is all you're getting.

Surely not.
That's worse than the purported Carlton offer (which was already trash).
Again, you need to look at the points factor, the only metric which we have to determine somewhat objective value.

8 + 27 = 2254 pts

3 + 63 = 2346 pts

12 + 14 = 2429 pts

So while objectively, yes, Carlton have the better offer and we rejected it outright, we also have to look at objectives.
Carlton's offer wasn't trash per se, just not the best use of our pick

It’s Ralphs article.

Not sure how to read it.

If we ain’t interested unless it’s a fall back or he isn’t keen on moving back to Perth.

Hard to see him getting a game at the Pies. You’d think Ed Allen would be next one in and Perryman sounds like he is going to get his chance too if they get Houston.

Again, you need to look at the points factor, the only metric which we have to determine somewhat objective value.
confused-golden-globes-GIF-downsized.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back