Delisting mega thread 2024!!

Remove this Banner Ad

genuinely hilarious watching people post delist everyone while bemoaning the sins of the past.

I don’t think anyone actually thinks it’s a good idea or going to happen. But we do have 14-16 players this year that could easily make the cut for the 6-8 exits.
We couldn’t possibly replace the 14 that need to go in 1 off season but there is that many that are total deadwood that will never be serviceable AFL players (or for Shiels & Greenwood - never again) and if you think otherwise I have a bridge to sell you.

I don’t think anyone actually thinks it’s a good idea or going to happen. But we do have 14-16 players this year that could easily make the cut for the 6-8 exits.
We couldn’t possibly replace the 14 that need to go in 1 off season but there is that many that are total deadwood that will never be serviceable AFL players (or for Shiels & Greenwood - never again) and if you think otherwise I have a bridge to sell you.

The **** we can’t 😤😤

But we have 5 picks in total yeah?

Honestly I'd be inclined to use all of them to replace the three that have gone plus a few extra that we delist.

Better off taking a punt on some kids who may bring something than keeping those who we know won't.

And if we can get just 2 mature trades to replace a couple more, then we have to be in a better position than we are now..
This is basically playing tattslotto with the list, a pick in the 4th/5th round is very unlikely to offer more than someone on the potential delist like Laz.

It's also why our age demographic is completely cooked.

As it is in the AFL, some older players in the VFL make a big difference to the development of the kids. Putting more 18 year old kids around existing 18-19 year old kids is not a recipe for improving players.

Better to have a Tom Campbell type teaching a young kid (as what happened with X) than two young kids learning off no-one. Sure, the club can get some mature players from elsewhere, but how about working on being a proper age demographic so this isn't constantly required.

This thread is really the answer to the question can al clarko still coach. Some around these parts have written him off. I fwiw haven’t. And having up to 16 players that you could find a reason to delist kind of shows why we’re rooted to the foot of the ladder. And it wouldn’t matter who’s the coach.

When considering delistings, we need to think over at least two years. We have a lot of sub-standard players out of contract this year and next – sixteen minimum. We are also currently four over the max list size. We may get to keep the extra two rookies this year, but we will loose them some time in the next two trade periods. We don’t need to replace everyone we axe. We may even be better off with a smaller list, as we won’t need to divide the development team’s time over so many kids.

Here are my thoughts

Currently 46 (37 + 9 rookies)
Out of contract players to delist or retire

Primary Phillips, Taylor, Lazzaro, Nyuon, Harvey, Thomas, Greenwood, Stevo,

Rookies Drury, Free, Sellers, Shiels

Re-sign

1 year rookie contract RHJ and Maley

Twelve out, which creates eight list vacancies. This leaves 34 on the list (29 + 5 rookies). If we need more space to trade players in, we could delist and payout CCJ or Pink.

Trade and free agents

Dom Brew and an old bloke like Luke Parker to harden us up

Draft

2 Split this pick with Richmond into Trainor/Armstrong and Berry

22 Best key forward left

40 Best available (must be able to run)

Late or rookie River Stevens, a long shot like Waylon Davey-Motlop

This would take us to 42 (36 + 6 or 37 + 5)

If we get to keep our extra rookie spots take one or two more, but only if we rate them highly enough

I’d let Harvey train with us over summer, and if he can get fit enough we can sign him as a SSP in Feb.

This would leave 13 players out of contract for 2026. Which should hopefully be our last year of deep cuts. On the list below, after LDU none are completely safe. They include 5 state league quality talls we have picked up cheap to try and balance the list after refusing to go tall early in the draft. I would be surprised if more than one of these are on the list in 2026.

2025 OOC - LDU, Goater, Corr, Tucker, Ford, Bergman, CCJ, Pink, + Rookies - K Dawson, Teakle, Maley, RHJ, Payne

When considering delistings, we need to think over at least two years. We have a lot of sub-standard players out of contract this year and next – sixteen minimum. We are also currently four over the max list size. We may get to keep the extra two rookies this year, but we will loose them some time in the next two trade periods. We don’t need to replace everyone we axe. We may even be better off with a smaller list, as we won’t need to divide the development team’s time over so many kids.

Here are my thoughts

Currently 46 (37 + 9 rookies)
Out of contract players to delist or retire

Primary Phillips, Taylor, Lazzaro, Nyuon, Harvey, Thomas, Greenwood, Stevo,

Rookies Drury, Free, Sellers, Shiels

Re-sign

1 year rookie contract RHJ and Maley

Twelve out, which creates eight list vacancies. This leaves 34 on the list (29 + 5 rookies). If we need more space to trade players in, we could delist and payout CCJ or Pink.

Trade and free agents

Dom Brew and an old bloke like Luke Parker to harden us up

Draft

2 Split this pick with Richmond into Trainor/Armstrong and Berry

22 Best key forward left

40 Best available (must be able to run)

Late or rookie River Stevens, a long shot like Waylon Davey-Motlop

This would take us to 42 (36 + 6 or 37 + 5)

If we get to keep our extra rookie spots take one or two more, but only if we rate them highly enough

I’d let Harvey train with us over summer, and if he can get fit enough we can sign him as a SSP in Feb.

This would leave 13 players out of contract for 2026. Which should hopefully be our last year of deep cuts. On the list below, after LDU none are completely safe. They include 5 state league quality talls we have picked up cheap to try and balance the list after refusing to go tall early in the draft. I would be surprised if more than one of these are on the list in 2026.

2025 OOC - LDU, Goater, Corr, Tucker, Ford, Bergman, CCJ, Pink, + Rookies - K Dawson, Teakle, Maley, RHJ, Payne
I like it but we need 1x cheap / UFA ready-to-go KPF and at least 1x cheap ready-to-go small forward in addition to Berry to establish a competitive modern structure imo.

Starting 2025 with Larkey, Maley and CCJ as our round 1 key forward options, and Berry, Stevens and RHJ as our small forward stock (with 6 snr games between them) is not starting exactly starting the season in our strongest possible position, given the options available to us.

I like it but we need 1x cheap / UFA ready-to-go KPF and at least 1x cheap ready-to-go small forward in addition to Berry to establish a competitive modern structure imo.

Starting 2025 with Larkey, Maley and CCJ as our round 1 key forward options, and Berry, Stevens and RHJ as our small forward stock (with 6 snr games between them) is not starting exactly starting the season in our strongest possible position, given the options available to us.
Yes to the small forward, if there is a good one available. I suspect the KPF would end up similar to Teakle, Pink, Biggie, CJ, etc. UFA talls are UFA for a reason and we have collected too many of these blokes. And I'm in the play Comben forward camp.

For me it would be:

Shiels
Thomas
Greenwood

Definitely gone.

Then in order of priority rather than contract status:

Free
Drury
Nyoun
Pink
Harvey
Taylor
Stephenson
Sellers (tempted to keep on just to give our VFL something to kick to)

That's 11 already.

Then you move into the next tier: Bergman, CCJ, Phillips, Lazz, Ford, Teakle

I'd say we move on 7-8, try to trade a couple of others. Depends on if we're game enough to pay out contracts, which I suggest we should be.

Assuming for a moment that those contracted - i.e. Pink, Stephenson, CCJ & Teakle will NOT be delisted, then I would think:
  • Retirements / Other
    • Thomas
    • Shiels
    • Greenwood
  • Delisted
    • Free
    • Drury
    • Taylor
    • Nuyon
    • Harvey
  • 1 yr deals -> Lazz, Sellers
As noted by Nostra, with only 3 draft picks under 40, I cannot see how we can go much further than about 5 true de-listings beyond Thomas, Shiels and Greenwood.
Yep, anyone talking about doing a massive list cleanout needs to explain what we're going to replace those players with. Because the last time we cut so deep as to clear Mason Wood and Majak Daw off the list, we ended up filling that space with guns like Patrick Walker and Connor Menadue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming for a moment that those contracted - i.e. Pink, Stephenson, CCJ & Teakle will NOT be delisted, then I would think:
  • Retirements / Other
    • Thomas
    • Shiels
    • Greenwood
  • Delisted
    • Free
    • Drury
    • Taylor
    • Nuyon
    • Harvey
  • 1 yr deals -> Lazz, Sellers
As noted by Nostra, with only 3 draft picks under 40, I cannot see how we can go much further than about 5 true de-listings beyond Thomas, Shiels and Greenwood.

I’d much rather take a stab late in a deep draft then get the same nothing return from a Lazzaro or Sellers for 12 months. There will be DFA’s who would offer us more then most of our bottom 10-15.

For me it would be:

Shiels
Thomas
Greenwood

Definitely gone.

Then in order of priority rather than contract status:

Free
Drury
Nyoun
Pink
Harvey
Taylor
Stephenson
Sellers (tempted to keep on just to give our VFL something to kick to)

That's 11 already.

Then you move into the next tier: Bergman, CCJ, Phillips, Lazz, Ford, Teakle

I'd say we move on 7-8, try to trade a couple of others. Depends on if we're game enough to pay out contracts, which I suggest we should be.
Shit, we are spoilt for choice on who we can delist , fabulous stuff

In my bizarro world, there would be no need for delistings at our fine establishment. JHF would have arrived and stated “I love it here, I am going to raise my family here”.Tarryn would have devoted his time to being a Monk out of football. Instead of playing GC in the last rd we played a team that had to win to play finals. And lastly David Noble coached like his doppelgänger Craig Bellamy and had the team playing finals winning football from the beginning.

Last edited:
Anyone suggesting Testy gets delisted is just showing what little knowledge they have.
1724732438802.gif

we get ccj and people complain he doesn’t compete in the air enough or kick enough goals.

we bring in testy who had been playing WAFL level football. a good strong mark, actually lowers his eyes going into 50(wasn’t his fault larkey still ran to the back of his opponent for a simple 15m dart),works his guts off and chimes in with 9 goals in 9 games. not gonna count the last two since him and 22 others didn’t show up for either of those games. all while doing this as a back up ruckman/kpf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisting mega thread 2024!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back