Dons want Buddy!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

rmbuc2 said:
Missed this post firstly, but once again, a player can refuse to be traded, he cannot refuse if he nominates for a draft, national or PSD, all he can do is sit out.

The huge difference with this and Rawlings is that the Dons have the 1st pick, like the Dogs did, North had nothing to give.

The Veale Deal forced Rawlings into the PSD and to the Dogs. Unless Buddy accepts the deal to stay or be traded you get nothing for him

In that case Hawthorn should initiate a bidding war between Freo and WCE.

A decent player and a first round pick in this years draft would likely get an equal or better deal for Hawthorn.

Sheedy has been keen on Franklin for four years.
Supposedly Essendon told him at the draft camp they wouldn't be able to draft him, but would be coming for him in 2 years time.
Now here we are.
This rumour has been going around for some time, and I would think it leans more to Essendon releasing it to pressure Hawthorn into re-signing him.
To me, the fact that it is now public knowledge only makes it more difficult for Essendon to sign Lance Franklin. And that might be what they want.
Discipline problems, chaparones etc.

Flag Man said:
In that case Hawthorn should initiate a bidding war between Freo and WCE.

A decent player and a first round pick in this years draft would likely get an equal or better deal for Hawthorn.
This only works if Buddy wants to go home. If he wants to go to the Dons he can refuse to talk or sign with anyone.
The Dons will offer something ridiculous like a third round pick saying "get something or get nothing" If this happens for the sake of everyone else the Hawks have to stand tough (like Port with stevens) and take nothing. If they do the lesser trade, the Dons get Buddy and still keep the first PSD pick.

Its all just talk, could be the manager building his client up to stay on more $$$.
The only bad aspect i have seen from Buddy's camp was Clarkson stating on "On the Couch" (i think) that Buddy was refusing to discuss contracts with the Hawks all year, then when he got home from the Tigers game there was a message on his phone from Buddy's manager stating that they were ready to start. Seems to suggest he is just in it for the $$$$$, sometimes a club is better off without these types. Its only $50000 over the odds this time, the hawks pay, then 3 years later he wants $100000 over the odds, if all he wants is $$$$$, get rid of him now and move on with talented loyal kids

HFC082 said:
Pick 1 should do it

You'll get NOTHING if he goes into the PSD. Dons have 1st pick remember? Essendon and buddy have you by the nads. You have no option but to take what you're given if he's adamant about leaving for the Dons. Or, you can decide to deal with a club higher on the ladder which offers you something better. Problem is, Buddy holds the cards cause he's not under contract and doesnt have to go there.

You're screwed Im afraid.

DynamoUltra said:
But Franklin does. No one has heard from Franklin. It's been his manager doing all the talking so far. Lance probably does want to stay at Hawthorn, but he wants to get as much for it as possible (and who doesn't want to earn as much as possible?).
Get your head out of the sand DynamoUltra. I said to you and Hawkk 2 weeks ago that something was not quite right when he didn't want to sign the contract extension. We have players like Spida, Barker, Vanders and Crawf coming to the ends of their careers so we have the dough to sign him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nightwolf_69 said:
This is quite laughable. Media again lacking serious stories. Id be suprised if Essendon wernt keen. They can try all they want, they wont get him.
How do you figure that Nightwolf_69? I'd say the smoke has been billowing on this one for about 3 weeks.

Hawkk said:
The concern to Hawthorn is managing the salary cap, it depends how vital Franklin sits with the 10 or so other first round draft picks that have been recruited over the last 2 drafts.
As i said earlier, we have players (and high earners) like Spida, Barker, Vanders and Crawf coming to the end of their careers so we have the dough to sign him! He obviously doesn't want to stay at Hawthorn and we will possibly get nothing for developing him over the past 2 years. :thumbsdown:

I say developing him because he really hasn't been the match winner he might be in 2 or 3 years time.

The fact they have had "informal" discussions with the Bombers is disturbing, sure Buddy's manager should get the best deal possible, but shopping around while still in negotiations with the Hawks is a worrying sign and only suggests that even if we sign him this time, say for 2 years, when he's entering his productive years at the end of that contract we will be lucky to be able to re-sign him, and if we do, it's going to cost us "bigtime", I really get the feeling that we will end up nurturing him through his first 4 years of "learning football" only to see him leave when he reaches his "productive years". The Hawks could well be in an awkward situation where he's too good a player to let go, too much potential to trade and too expensive to keep.
Stay with the Hawks Buddy, but stay because you want to, not because it's where you can get the most money.

Docc03 said:
And what happens after we beat Carlton in 2 weeks, next big heading "Buddy to Carlton"
This is going to be a HUGE game! Battle of the #1 draft pick. How are both teams going to throw the game:eek: If Essendon win (or lose depending on how you look at it) and Buddy cannot get to Essendon, then atleast Hawks might get something from Freo or WC:thumbsu:

Hawks could really cash in here.
Buddy wont amount to anything.
He is going to be the next Ottens, be wise if hawks trade him now and take some high picks in the coming "super draft".
Could set the hawks up nicely.

3 weeks ago called, it wants its news back

Its no secret over here in the West that Bombers are willing to offer in excess of 350 000 to get him to join through the PSD. When Sheeds mentioned contracted players should put talks on hold this is who he was talking about.

Id be bewildered if he isnt a Bomber next year

DaSawx said:
Is there seriously a good chance?, surely he wouldn't leave Hawthorn for another Vic team

He would if the doubled the pay packet.

Duddy isnt well known for his morals if ya didnt notice

Remove this Banner Ad

Dons want Buddy!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back