Prediction Dr Sonja Hood AM

Remove this Banner Ad

the entire board has changed over in the last 3 seasons. Circa 6 new elections. What is the process for how these people get elected? As a member I don’t think we get a vote do we?

The worst possible thing that could happen is instability in the administration. As much as people on this forum probably don’t care, the women’s program is thriving in spite of the performance of our men’s team. The responsibility of our men’s team should rest on the shoulders of Viney and Clarko. I think the success of the hood/watt administration should be ultimately judged on how successfully we transition out of Tasmania, something they have significant control of. The footy will hopefully look after itself (eventually)

Not even close. Dr Hood AM may not have led a football club before, but she has plenty of experience successfully leading other organisations, which is why there is an 'AM' after her name.
She's successfully led other organisations.

She's done **** all for NMFC.

Right.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jumping all over Sonja and calling for her head after today's game is pure dumb.

She's the head of an organisation whose defining cultural characteristic was as a pack of losers. The decisions that led to our loser culture were not hers. But over two years on, the loser culture still exists and none of the appointments she's made have changed it one iota.

She, and every single person with any leadership role at NMFC, is rightly under pressure.

She was on the board when those decisions were made though.

I like Sonja's fight and passion for the club. The AFLW side is a contender, VFLW side won the flag and the VFL is mid-table competitive. But none of that really matters, while the core business of the club is such a shambles.
The heat will be on all of the club leadership figures next year.

I do like the irony that we sit here and discuss this loser club on a daily basis with time we dont have and that a former Bigfooty poster actually made it to become president of the club and so far the tenure has been an abject fail in terms of win/loss.

Which says that none of us will ever do any better.

But that doesn't excuse where the clubs at.
Inshallah one day one of us does become president and this time round we do this board proud and bring years of sustained success.

The worst possible thing that could happen is instability in the administration. As much as people on this forum probably don’t care, the women’s program is thriving in spite of the performance of our men’s team. The responsibility of our men’s team should rest on the shoulders of Viney and Clarko. I think the success of the hood/watt administration should be ultimately judged on how successfully we transition out of Tasmania, something they have significant control of. The footy will hopefully look after itself (eventually)
I'm not being critical of Sonya or Hood re the men's team but unless they were responsible for setting up a relationship with Melbourne Uni...you can't really credit them for how the women's team is going.

She's done **** all for NMFC.

I think by any measure, that's maybe a tad harsh, comrade. Sure, we're still floundering on field but I'm honestly not sure what portion of blame she takes in that. My feeling is when all the sums are done, it would be on the low side of the ledger. Outside of that (and moving into areas that a more part of her remit), she appears to have been a competent and engaging leader of the club.

Maybe those calling for head can chill a bit. Dial it back a few notches and maybe just for the time being chuck an 's' on the end of her name as a kind of place-holder for pitchforks down the track. Right now we have smaller fish to fry.

I'm not being critical of Sonya or Hood re the men's team but unless they were responsible for setting up a relationship with Melbourne Uni...you can't really credit them for how the women's team is going.
Sonja absolutely set it up.

I don't think there's anything that Sonja and co can really do.

There's an ingrained, intangible stink about our club.

It's hard to describe but you know it's there and it's been there for a very long time.
Close the thread. This is 100% correct. She inherited a mess from Ben Buckley and Armafilo. Off field we are in a solid position and her role in securing Clarko and dismissing TT has been roundly praised. The pressure is on Clarko and Viney to right this ship on field.

What a stupid thing to say, we all came into this season knowing that the rebuild of our men's team was going to take time, it was never going to be a two or three year rebuild because we made so many poor decisions in the preceding 5/6 seasons. Dr. Hood has been in the position for less than two and a half years and has already done a mountain of work to try and lift the club back up from this dark period, and we probably won't know if she is successful or not for at least another two or three years, so campaigners like you need to STFU and stop overreacting at everything that doesn't go our way, and show some trust in the people who are in place to rebuild the team, and in the President who has a proven record of success in leadership.

Punter is terrible choice to be President, especially in our current situation, he has never been in charge of any organization (that I know of) and would have little or no idea what is required. He would be a giant step backwards.
I always find the tidbits from player interviews great in providing an insight of what's happening at the club internally.

Larkey talking about the stability that Clarko has brought and the confidence they have that the coaching staff won't change now in the foreseeable future after having continuous new coaches and having to prove yourself to a new coaching staff.

Shiels on RSN last week talking about the young players at the club, and the platform which the club is building to create a contender. He was pretty clear that the key is games into the young kids until they are all 50+ games.

Getting back to Sonja, this is what I think she has done well. In the past we would have gotten a consultancy or a group of advisers to go through some sort of interview process for the head coaching job and it probably would have got us one of the up and coming assistants (which is ok) but she went all guns blazing to get the most proven coach of the modern era and managed to secure him.

If she didn't do that, Clarko is probably coaching the Bombers. Fortunately for us, he isn't and we have a coaching team where the players have full confidence in what is being set up and they are backing the club with their signatures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close the thread. This is 100% correct. She inherited a mess from Ben Buckley and Armafilo. Off field we are in a solid position and her role in securing Clarko and dismissing TT has been roundly praised. The pressure is on Clarko and Viney to right this ship on field.
She was on the board that created the mess. And how good are we off the field? No shorts sponsor, no new Mazda deal, no alternative to Tassie deal.. off field is not going as well as you think.

200.gif

She was on the board that created the mess. And how good are we off the field? No shorts sponsor, no new Mazda deal, no alternative to Tassie deal.. off field is not going as well as you think.

Are u sure about this?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

on field I can’t blame Dr Hood. It’s not her doing. But was it really a mess she inherited? Financially we were stable under Ben. We haven’t grown membership at all in the last 2 seasons and no chance it grows next. We would be the worst performing professional sports organisation in the world (where a draft and salary cap exist). Some criticism of the person at the top is warranted. According to you her 2 big wins are dismissing our best player (rightly so) and hiring a coach that mentally is shot and can’t do his job. She will keep her job because the ppl that really run the club like her and members don’t get a say in who runs it.

Last edited:
on field I can’t blame Dr Hood. It’s not her doing. But was it really a mess she inherited? Financially we were stable under Ben. We haven’t grown membership at all in the last 2 seasons and no chance it grows next. We would be the worst performing professional sports organisation in the world (where a draft and salary cap exist). Done criticism of the person at the top is warranted. According to you her 2 big wins are dismissing our best player (rightly so) and hiring a coach that mentally is shot and can’t do his job. She will keep her job because the ppl that really run the club like her and members don’t get a say in who runs it.
So you reckon Clarko’s mentally shot eh? So we should sack him too?

So you reckon Clarko’s mentally shot eh? So we should sack him too?
Clarko has mentioned and others who have worked around him also, he works best when he is challenged on and off the field. He needs someone else in the box to challenge him and he needs a president to press him. Not constantly shower him in praise, love and cuddles. People have asked for Grumpy Clarko. I want a grumpy president. Its not good enough. Ohhh maybe we’ll sit in the cheer squad and look all happy n shit. WHATS THERE TO BE HAPPY ABOUT SONJA!?!? Is she Luke McDonalds surrogate?

No I don’t think. He took half a season off last year to deal with it. Those kinds of issues don’t just disappear. We can’t sack him. We can’t afford the payout.
Our improvement after the bye (barring a few games) shows what we (and Clarko) can do. We have the youngest list in the league so it will take time and success is not linear. We need to pick up some mature age leaders and some more young talent to keep moving forward. When the time is right, angry Clarko will come out for our line in the sand game. But it’s too early for that.

Agree that she can’t skate through without criticism given she’s been on the Board since 2019 although to be fair it’s our football directors who should be taking most of the blame for ticking off on the major hiring and strategic football decisions.

Any commercial failings sit fairly and squarely with the CEO - who again to be fair was appointed by the executive and would have been led by Sonja.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Dr Sonja Hood AM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back