List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 #2: Rankine / Lukosius / Rozee / Hately, I'm knocking Woodcock out the box, daily!

Predict the Adelaide board's melt level after the draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, very much agree. This isn't going to be the year that the top 5 players in the draft are instant superstars and players taken beyond that are all bog average battlers. It will turn out the same as it always does with extremely good players emerging from lower in the draft, it's about who can identify that talent and maximise it. I hope we don't trade up. We have great picks going in to the draft.
You have hit the nail on the head with 3 words "identify that talent".
if someone had picks 2 and 3 in the 2015 draft and traded them for 11, 12, 15 and 17 like GC probably could with us now, most of their supporters would want to burn down the grandstand. 3 years later however if they were offered the choice of Schache and Mills versus Milera, Charlie Curnow, Daniel Motlop and Tom Doedee, those same supporters would burn down the grandstand if they didnt do it.
The only difference is the evaluation of the talent.

You have hit the nail on the head with 3 words "identify that talent".
if someone had picks 2 and 3 in the 2015 draft and traded them for 11, 12, 15 and 17 like GC probably could with us now, most of their supporters would want to burn down the grandstand. 3 years later however if they were offered the choice of Schache and Mills versus Milera, Charlie Curnow, Daniel Motlop and Tom Doedee, those same supporters would burn down the grandstand if they didnt do it.
The only difference is the evaluation of the talent.
Your mention of Dan Motlop in this post seriously threw me. I had to go look to try work out who you meant. Dan Rioli obviously. Three young guns and Dan Motlop made no sense.

Obviously the idea of getting pick 4 or 6 sounds really appealing as we have never had access to that end of the draft

but then again I can't get past this idea

Brodie Smith #14
Daniel Talia #12

We currently have #8 #13 #16

in one draft

imagine getting 3 players with Smith/Talia quality in one draft

Obviously the idea of getting pick 4 or 6 sounds really appealing as we have never had access to that end of the draft

Brodie Smith #14
Daniel Talia #12

in one draft

Dangerfield at pick 10, Matt Crouch at pick 23. We'd be crazy to give up what we currently have for 1 pick.

Brodie Smith #14
Daniel Talia #12

in one draft

Yes but imagine getting Nick Riewoldt or Andrew McLeod in one draft, if Luko or Rankine end up like that. It really comes down to how good the players are that are available at the picks, not the number themselves.

Personally I am really torn because I would certainly not want to give up what we have for say Walsh or Max King, however how often in our clubs history going forward, are we going to have potentially some of the best SA footballers ever produced available and in our reach. I think reluctantly I would trade 13, 16 and next years first for pick 3 and 29. Its a huge cost, 3 firsts for pick 3, but if we got Rankine, Caldwell and Valente in this draft I think we would have an elite midfield for the next 10 years.

I’m not sure it’s fair to say picks 8 and 13 are more of a lottery than taking Rankine at 3. I would argue he is the ultimate lottery pick to be honest.
In general I think it’s fair to say that fans see trading up as much more sexy than trading down. Really good list management though would see going both directions as equally valuable depending on your needs and talent evaluation.
Rankine interviewed well and has met some of the boys. He may be a risk but there is no guarantee he gets taken at 3.
We had 4x top 10 picks 2 years ago, 1 was a bust, 3 more this year and 2 next. We have to take the best talent available and the industry is saying that talent is in the top 8 including Blakey

Brodie Smith #14
Daniel Talia #12

in one draft

I was filthy when we picked up danger over ebert. Ropeable when we picked up leaver (spelt that way on purpose) over durdin and spat the dummy when we picked up doedee over burton. I’ve learnt my lesson. Don’t care who we pick up because i have every confidence It will be the right choice. Enjoy this draft it will be a defining moment in our clubs history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was filthy when we picked up danger over ebert. Ropeable when we picked up leaver (spelt that way on purpose) over durdin and spat the dummy when we picked up doedee over burton. I’ve learnt my lesson. Don’t care who we pick up because i have every confidence It will be the right choice. Enjoy this draft it will be a defining moment in our clubs history.

Yes. I was in the same boat about all those three as you. I learnt slowly to back our Club.

But could you imagine what would happen if we managed to score pick 3 or pick 4 and overlooked Luko and Rankine for another kid lol.

The meltdown on this board would be awesome.

Its not a lottery, the Suns just lack the staff that are astute that can identify talent outside the top 10.

Fun Fact, Crows have never ever had a top 5 pick, and this year is our best pick we have ever had, ie pick 8 since our existence.

We have picked a few players now that were picked in the 10-20 range that have ended up being in retrospect Top 5 picks in hindsight.
We took angwin with pick 7

Yes but imagine getting Nick Riewoldt or Andrew McLeod in one draft, if Luko or Rankine end up like that. It really comes down to how good the players are that are available at the picks, not the number themselves.

Personally I am really torn because I would certainly not want to give up what we have for say Walsh or Max King, however how often in our clubs history going forward, are we going to have potentially some of the best SA footballers ever produced available and in our reach. I think reluctantly I would trade 13, 16 and next years first for pick 3 and 29. Its a huge cost, 3 firsts for pick 3, but if we got Rankine, Caldwell and Valente in this draft I think we would have an elite midfield for the next 10 years.
You can trade all that all you want but it requires another club to agree which ain’t going to happen

You can trade all that all you want but it requires another club to agree which ain’t going to happen
Every club in the comp would trade pick 3 for 3 firsts. The reason that trade won't happen is because we wouldn't offer it, not because GC would knock it back.
In the trade market this year 11, 13 and 15 were traded for Polec, McGovern and Winguard. Three very, very good players with their prime to come. That's what the industry values those 3 picks as, and that is a hell of a lot higher than pick 3.

Supporters are like kids at christmas. Given the choice between a playstation or $400 in a savings account they will opt for the playstation every time. However in 3 years when the choice is between a broken playstation or $450 they would take the later. Responsible list managers need to be able to look past the excitement of what you get now and look after the long term future, and for GC now getting 3 firsts over the next 12 months instead of Rankine is a very sound deal.

Ah thanks.

In fairness draft picks in those days did not carry same weight as they do in the modern era.

Didnt we actually in the ende gave up Pick 2 for Carey?
Accidentally. Was 4 at time of trade.

Accidentally. Was 4 at time of trade.

Yes thats correct as far as I can remember.

What a monumental blow. From memory we missed out on Wells.

Ironically we could have had Pav and Wells in our team at the time but Ayres had the final say.

Pick 4. It became pick 2 later because of sanctions to Carlton I think.
Either was too much. Plus another pick. For a bloke who couldn't lift his arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back