Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to recall another 191cm full-forward kicking 99 for us recently.
I just can't remember his name though
Often it's not always the height but the body strength too. Fev had alot of that in a contest, plus speed off the mark, agility, and ability to read the play well when the ball was coming in.

Even Whitnall was only 190cm, went well even if he couldn't run out of sight in a fog. That did catch up with him though later on.

Dunstall 188, Lockett 191, Lloyd 192, Carey 192, Johnson 182, Bradshaw 191.

3 or 4cm doesn't make a lick of difference. Technique, ability to read the play, speed, leap, strength, all come in to it. A 191cm bloke at AFL level is smart enough to play to his defenders weakness.

You don't stay at home and wrestle with a defender who is bigger and stronger. You lead to the footy, you play off him, you run him into the ground. That's why people go around calling blokes like Franklin and Brown "freaks". Because in AFL it's so rare to get somebody with those few extra cm who can still move so well and possess all the other assets to make a successful forward.

That being said, I don't think we should take Darling. McCarthy or Watson for mine. I'd rather not take another risky prospect or a project player when we are so close to a flag.

I really hope we pick up Luke Mitchell with one of our later picks. I just think he has way too much potential to pass up. His season was interupted by injury but he was one of the few 17 y.o invited to draft camp last year for the gold coast to look at.

Dunstall 188, Lockett 191, Lloyd 192, Carey 192, Johnson 182, Bradshaw 191.

3 or 4cm doesn't make a lick of difference. Technique, ability to read the play, speed, leap, strength, all come in to it. A 191cm bloke at AFL level is smart enough to play to his defenders weakness.

You don't stay at home and wrestle with a defender who is bigger and stronger. You lead to the footy, you play off him, you run him into the ground. That's why people go around calling blokes like Franklin and Brown "freaks". Because in AFL it's so rare to get somebody with those few extra cm who can still move so well and possess all the other assets to make a successful forward.

That being said, I don't think we should take Darling. McCarthy or Watson for mine. I'd rather not take another risky prospect or a project player when we are so close to a flag.

I don't understand how you can call Darling a project player over the other guys when he has played quality football in WAFL seniors and Watson has only played TAC cup. I'm not against us taking any of these guys, it's just Darling is my number one. He is simply the most talented player of the lot. Most guys with a few off-field issues settle down once they get into a professional environment, it isn't a huge risk I don't think. Remember we are talking about players passed over 17 times in a compromised draft, I don't see how taking a slight risk on a guy with easily the biggest upside is a bad thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone else preparing to be outraged by our selections tomorrow night? :D

Not really

I hope you aren't taking some perverse glee in the potential opportunity to shout down the recruiting staff. Although I must admit I am kinda masochistically hoping for a midfielder at 18 just to see the threads.

Would be happy with Watson/McCarthy

Is anyone else preparing to be outraged by our selections tomorrow night? :D

Nope, that would be the ignorant posters who sooked about not getting Talia last year. I am prepared to be disappointed if we don't get who I view as good selections at out picks but not outraged if we do not pick a KPP like some on this board.

Im firmly on the Darling bandwagon!

IN 5 years:
Yarran Henderson Collins
Betts Darling Garlett

jizz.

Any news on personality/alcohol issues with Darling. A ton of rumours float around, not saying they all need to be cleanskins, but ****heads can be more trouble than their worth

IN 5 years:
Yarran Henderson Collins
Betts Darling Garlett

jizz.

I would still prefer to get a KP defender like Watson...

in 5 years we could have:

Yarran Henderson Collins
Betts Casboult Garlett

Casboult made some big steps last season for the ants and with another years experience at that level, plus a few games in the seniors, could be a massive revelation in 2012 at FF for us.

I don't understand how you can call Darling a project player over the other guys when he has played quality football in WAFL seniors and Watson has only played TAC cup. I'm not against us taking any of these guys, it's just Darling is my number one. He is simply the most talented player of the lot. Most guys with a few off-field issues settle down once they get into a professional environment, it isn't a huge risk I don't think. Remember we are talking about players passed over 17 times in a compromised draft, I don't see how taking a slight risk on a guy with easily the biggest upside is a bad thing.

Darling is considered a risky prospect. As much as we loved Fev, Carlton has been judged as being painted with the same brush. Not only would it be a disaster for the club from a PR front if we had somebody else playing up like a second hand whipper-snipper, it's a huge waste of resources.

Keep in mind he also doesn't see himself as a key forward and wants to be trialled as an inside midfielder. Will likely end up more of a Jobe Watson than a Matthew Pavlich and that's not a good way to spend a 1st round pick.

IN 5 years:
Yarran Henderson Collins
Betts Darling Garlett

jizz.

jizz-in-my-pants-andy-samberg1.jpg

Darling is considered a risky prospect. As much as we loved Fev, Carlton has been judged as being painted with the same brush. Not only would it be a disaster for the club from a PR front if we had somebody else playing up like a second hand whipper-snipper, it's a huge waste of resources.

Keep in mind he also doesn't see himself as a key forward and wants to be trialled as an inside midfielder. Will likely end up more of a Jobe Watson than a Matthew Pavlich and that's not a good way to spend a 1st round pick.

Do you think Hawthorn regret taking Buddy Franklin? Geelong regret taking Steve Johnson?

Ye, he has some issues. So did Yarran. So did Garlett.

Can't always play it safe. Fev had 100 chances and kept throwing them away, Darling has had zero opportunity to prove either way. Darling has shown he has the talent that is required and at the end of the day the best PR comes from a team winning games. Potential PR windfall really should be taking the backseat compared to what they offer onfield when determining who we draft unless in extreme circumstance, considering that we are in the business of winning games.

If it backfires, we take a PR hit (It can't be any worse than what we've been through - yet we're still standing and amongst the best in the league when it comes to sponsorship revenue) and we cut him. If he shows a bit in his time with us we'll still manage to get a decent trade out of a team stupid enough to think they can get his head on straight (ie. Brisbane with Fev). We are talking about a guy who on talent is a top 5 pick in this draft, who at 16 years of age was mixing it with senior footballers at state level. It is worth the risk.

In regards to where he plays, the club will decide where he is best suited.

I desperately hope we get Watson, we need a ready-made, tall, solidly built defender, and Watson fits that criteria, his raking left foot can't be underrated either, as we lack some serious penetration by foot from defense, will be interesting to see who we go for

Obviously WH's policy is to select the best available and not necessarily in terms of our needs, so my head tells me we won't select Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back