drafting and trading 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to pick up Menzel or Stringer if they slide that far and a KPD if any decent ones available. Otherwise best available.
Stringer won't get to 20, thats why we really need a pick around 10-15 to get him. Menzel is an unknown quantity in terms of where he will go. Theres a fair chance he could last to 20 based on his injury concerns, but i wouldn't be surprised if the power jumped on him, i'd say collingwood would take him before our 20 though. Good option would be Jaksch at 20, not sure who at 23, the playing level drops around here, it becomes speculativish picks unless someone drops like in previous years.
Ideally, i would love to see stringer and jaksch, but we really need sydney to ****ing sort some 3rd party trading out and get us a pick around 10-15!

Stringer won't get to 20, thats why we really need a pick around 10-15 to get him. Menzel is an unknown quantity in terms of where he will go. Theres a fair chance he could last to 20 based on his injury concerns, but i wouldn't be surprised if the power jumped on him, i'd say collingwood would take him before our 20 though. Good option would be Jaksch at 20, not sure who at 23, the playing level drops around here, it becomes speculativish picks unless someone drops like in previous years.
Ideally, i would love to see stringer and jaksch, but we really need sydney to ******* sort some 3rd party trading out and get us a pick around 10-15!

No to Jacksch from me. He has a stupid marking action which will leave him caught out at AFL level. In terms of sliders I think that Membrey might be a chance. He doesn't fill a need for us (undersized KPF) but he is going to be a great player at AFL level. One of those guys that will come in and produce from the outset. The comparisons to Darling are spot on. Someone like Collingwood will probably pick him up (due to questions about his size). Alternatively, Garlett and Menzel will be good value if they fall to one of those picks. Both would give us some outside run and X factor which could just help get us over the line.

No to Jacksch from me. He has a stupid marking action which will leave him caught out at AFL level. In terms of sliders I think that Membrey might be a chance. He doesn't fill a need for us (undersized KPF) but he is going to be a great player at AFL level. One of those guys that will come in and produce from the outset. The comparisons to Darling are spot on. Someone like Collingwood will probably pick him up (due to questions about his size). Alternatively, Garlett and Menzel will be good value if they fall to one of those picks. Both would give us some outside run and X factor which could just help get us over the line.
Not sure what you are on about re jaksch...he takes it at its highest point. Once he puts on kegs, he's going to be extremely hard to beat on a lead, arms out stretched... there's similarities between him and patton, though patton at a similar age was more muscly and built - im not saying he is as good as patton was at 18, but he has similar attributes, and with some bulk and maturity, i reckon he could be an absolute kpf gem.
Agree with your comments on membrey, though i feel that clubs won't make the same mistake they did with darling with him this time around.

a sample of jaksch

a sample of pats at the same age

Jordan Murdoch's brother is in this draft and from the guy I know he reckons he is better than Jordan. He did pretty well in the Buckley kicking test I believe amongst other things.

Wouldn't mind us taking him at 23 if available.
Brodie Murdoch? Undersized key tall, would probably go in the 30s I think. Will likely be snaffled by Port along with Amato.

I like what I've seen of Tim Broomhead, seems to be one of those players that slips under the radar initially, but in 2-3 years will end up making a lot of recruiters feel silly for overlooking him.

Brodie Murdoch? Undersized key tall, would probably go in the 30s I think. Will likely be snaffled by Port along with Amato.

Yeah, he obviously doesn't play key forward in AFL. So it's HFF hoping he could be developed into a midfielder.

The more I think about it the more he has Port written all over it.

Not sure what you are on about re jaksch...he takes it at its highest point. Once he puts on kegs, he's going to be extremely hard to beat on a lead, arms out stretched... there's similarities between him and patton, though patton at a similar age was more muscly and built - im not saying he is as good as patton was at 18, but he has similar attributes, and with some bulk and maturity, i reckon he could be an absolute kpf gem.
Agree with your comments on membrey, though i feel that clubs won't make the same mistake they did with darling with him this time around.

a sample of pats at the same age

Firstly I wouldn't be comparing him to Patton based in highlights. Both are tall and play key positions but the similarities start to end there.

Secondly, I haven't watched that highlight real until now but I have seen him play. Maybe he just played badly but when I have seen him but he has shown a tendency to jump at the ball late from underneath it's path. The end result is him taking the ball above his head rather than out in front. At AFL level any reasonably experienced defender will be able to spoil anything coming towards him. Due to a lower emphasis on marking he might be able to be converted into a defender (a role he has played ok before). From what I have seen of him I don't think he will make it and I certainly don't think he is worth taking at the draft position that he has been projected. This is all my opinion so you can take it however you like.

Side note-
Additionally he is a Vic Metro kid. I'm now a bit more wary of them following the Gunston experience. Vic country and other interstate kids seem to be made of sterner stuff.

Not sure how many picks you guys will use but if it is three (or if you PSD Kurt) it seems that Port and the Crows would be in a perfect position to trade.

If Port get a 2nd rounder for Jacobs we will have 4 of them. The Crows may want to get back into the draft in the second round.

Perhaps Andy Otten and 64 for 32?

Not sure how many picks you guys will use but if it is three (or if you PSD Kurt) it seems that Port and the Crows would be in a perfect position to trade.

If Port get a 2nd rounder for Jacobs we will have 4 of them. The Crows may want to get back into the draft in the second round.

no really. o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO we are trying to get a second (or third) pick in the first round, in the KT trade. Can't see us wanting to get a second rd pick.

Might revisit once the KT trade has come through if we have 3 first rounders ;)

Pending the outcome of the Tippett trade we only have 2 "live" selections in the draft. That could reduce to just 1 "live" selection if we receive a player as part of the Tippett trade. Note that the Crouch & Callinan upgrades already count as 2 selections, so we only need 1 more to meet the AFL's mandatory minimum of 3.

Doing the trade you've suggested (Otten + 64 for 32) would still leave us in the same position. Sure we'd have picks in both the 1st and 2nd rounds, but trading out Otten would mean that we would have a 3rd vacancy to fill. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That said, I think your proposed trade is fair - it just doesn't make a lot of sense for Adelaide to do it.

Swap Otten for Tambling and thats fair. Otten is worth far more than 32. Do you really think Jacobs is equal to Otten?

Andy Otten is both needed and worth way more than what you propose. 8-12 if we were interested which I am sure we are not, and doubt he would be either.

Pending the outcome of the Tippett trade we only have 2 "live" selections in the draft. That could reduce to just 1 "live" selection if we receive a player as part of the Tippett trade. Note that the Crouch & Callinan upgrades already count as 2 selections, so we only need 1 more to meet the AFL's mandatory minimum of 3.

Doing the trade you've suggested (Otten + 64 for 32) would still leave us in the same position. Sure we'd have picks in both the 1st and 2nd rounds, but trading out Otten would mean that we would have a 3rd vacancy to fill. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That said, I think your proposed trade is fair - it just doesn't make a lot of sense for Adelaide to do it.

I've noticed for some time you selling Otten short vader. If fully fit next season Otten will have you eating your words.

I think you're in la-la-land if you think anyone would offer us a pick in the 8-12 range for Otten. This is the same Otten who only played 6 of 25 games this year - and only 2 of them were worth writing home about. This is the same Andy Otten who did his ACL 3 years ago and has, for the most part, looked dead-set ordinary since that date.

For damaged goods like Otten, who clearly wasn't in our best-22 for most of the season, pick 32 is much, much closer to the mark than pick 8-12.

It's not that I don't rate Otten, it's just that I have a more realistic grip of what draft picks are worth than you do. Most neutral observers suggest that Tippett is worth 2x 1st round picks, 1 in the top-10, the 2nd in the top-20. I'd suggest that the weighting of those two picks would be roughly 80:20 in favour of the top-10 pick. What you're effectively suggesting then, is that Otten is worth 80% of what Tippett is worth? That's just lunacy.

For what it's worth, I really hope that Otten is able to get back to his best in 2013. We saw how good he could be in 2009 - but it's been 3 wasted years since then. If he performs as you expect (and I hope), then his trade value will rise dramatically next year - but right now his value is as low as it's ever been. 2009 was 3 years ago and he's only played 2 good games since then. If anything, pick #32 is probably at the upper end of his current trade value.

I'd be disappointed if we couldn't get a pick in the 20's personally. That said, his value on the market isn't anywhere near what we know it could be worth and it's because of that we wouldn't trade him unless he requested to go imo.

For what it's worth, I really hope that Otten is able to get back to his best in 2013. We saw how good he could be in 2009 - but it's been 3 wasted years since then. If he performs as you expect (and I hope), then his trade value will rise dramatically next year - but right now his value is as low as it's ever been. 2009 was 3 years ago and he's only played 2 good games since then. If anything, pick #32 is probably at the upper end of his current trade value.

Which is exactly why we wouldn't trade him. Still worth far more than 32. His last 2 AFL games were outstanding.

Which is exactly why we wouldn't trade him. Still worth far more than 32. His last 2 AFL games were outstanding.
I agree that now would be a bad time to trade him, given that his value is currently very low and there are signs that he might finally be returning to form. That said, if he were traded now, I still say that pick #32 would be at the upper end of his range.

I believe he is (and will be seen to be) worth 8-12 and that we would get 14-20 at the moment if we put him on the market.

Unless there is a trade or an injury lets revisit this in a bit under 12 months.

Seemed to me that as Otten lost a bit of bulk as the season went on he started to regain his agility and form...Pity about that late mid season injury, but showed us against the Hawks what he is capable of.

Andy Otten is both needed and worth way more than what you propose. 8-12 if we were interested which I am sure we are not, and doubt he would be either.

I rate Otten, and hope we keep him, but he is not worth pick 8-12. Had he continued on his merry way from what he showed in 2009 without having the injuries he's had, then maybe. That said, I still think he's worth more than 32.

Remove this Banner Ad

drafting and trading 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back