Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond Review - Positives/Negatives & Changes vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of our core playing group, and the blokes that maintain they're "STICKING TOGETHER TO WIN A PREMIERSHIP AT RICHMOND", I see Brett as the weakest link. If I was him, and I got dropped at Richmond, I would pack my shit up and **** off, because there are about 16 blokes below him, who should be playing the twos. Be serious for a moment. He is our marquee player. Our No.1. Dusty may well take the mantle eventually, but right now, Brett is our best player for the forseeable future. Dropping him would just another bullshit knee jerk, Richmond typical over reaction. Why not sack Dimma while we're at it, and see if Jeff Gieschen wants to coach us again, and really put us 10 years away again?

I am serious. You're right he is our marquee player and I think he knows it. Absolutely no pressure on him to perform. So what if he doesn't make an effort it's not as if they'll drop him.

I've not called for the sacking of Dimma or anything of the sort. Such thinking is very short sighted. But we need some way of extracting the best out of our marquee player, because at the moment we're not getting it. Rather give him the rocket now ( when finals are gone and we are still in development) and reap the rewards in the future, than let him bimble along doing the bare minmum and then wondering why he isn't the player we want him to be when we are a decent side.

I am serious. You're right he is our marquee player and I think he knows it. Absolutely no pressure on him to perform. So what if he doesn't make an effort it's not as if they'll drop him.

I've not called for the sacking of Dimma or anything of the sort. Such thinking is very short sighted. But we need some way of extracting the best out of our marquee player, because at the moment we're not getting it. Rather give him the rocket now ( when finals are gone and we are still in development) and reap the rewards in the future, than let him bimble along doing the bare minmum and then wondering why he isn't the player we want him to be when we are a decent side.

Really? Oh. That's unfortunate for you, hey? Getting the most out of our marquee player? How about get a ****ing backline for him to play around? (Rancey excluded)

Don't be ridiculous, we are not gunna drop Brett. Not now, not ever.

Go to bed, idiot.

Really? Oh. That's unfortunate for you, hey? Getting the most out of our marquee player? How about get a ****ing backline for him to play around? (Rancey excluded)

Don't be ridiculous, we are not gunna drop Brett. Not now, not ever.

Go to bed, idiot.

So you think he is performing to the best of his ability?

and what's with the insults?

We don't need to drop our class players , like Lids , Jack, Newman, or Martin for that fact . Our lack of class players is what is restricting their influence over the past few weeks !
Conca's shaping up as a poor man's Matt White , whilst if players with lesser skills like Grigg, Edwards, Jackson , Nahas and King can't except their skill limitations and appreciate their role within the side , they need to be Arseholed , don't care if it costs us games !
Those suggesting the dropping of Thursty or Post have no idea , Thursty is purely a defender nothing else and someone we need to persist with, especially with Grimes out . IMO Rance was our worst tall defender , whilst Posts role was predominately to keep Fletcher honest and away from Jack , something he did very well and had some influence himself . If we are going to play Vickery in the ruck , he must stay forward , no coincidence we again fell away when we went from having 3 tall forwards to 2 , when Hislop was subbed into the game for Griff. !

V Essendon, the positives.

Thought i'd go the other way. There's multiple threads on the shoulda, coulda and woulda's, so i'll put up some positives.

The start, we won our second first quarter for the year, and i enjoyed the melee.
Helbig, Conca, Batchelor, Griffiths, Vickery and even Rance. These boys played their hearts out. Yep, made some mistakes, but, i thought they were pretty solid.
Is there anything else people would like to contribute given it was the last 40 minutes that saw us lose the game (or comment on some positives from the above mentioned players).:footy::footy::footy:

Positives - Vickery, Rance, Helbig, Griffiths. All had good games tonight and showed signs that they understand their roles and what was required from them.

We also showed for half a game that we can run and carry the ball good enough to compete with most teams. Pity we put the cue in the rack in the last qtr but you get that with a young team from time to time.

Negatives - Riewoldt. Poor effort again tonight & damn poor body language:thumbsdown:. I recall seeing you giving a "Richo" like spray up the ground last night. Thats not on mate, we have just put up with that crap for a decade but your antics this year are alarming. Time for Dimma to stamp this out of you so go and get your head and body right and we will see you at pre-season training.

Ins & Outs?

IN - What the hell bring Tuck and Morton in for some under performing kids, Browne in if fit and send Vicks to FF.

OUT - JR, Conca, Hislop

If we can't beat GC next week, I ****ing give up. They will be Ablettless. If we lose, I am deleting my BF account, tearing up my membership, and storming the FTF compound and re-taking my $100.........

..........Next person to over react, I am going to bloody unleash upon you. Don't be stupid, we're young. Give it time. Stop wanting instant gratification, it's clear it isn't going to happen any time soon.
Oh the irony.

if Jack is to keep his spot, he needs to play up the ground at CHF. he can run and has an excellent kick on him, at FF he's completely wasted. he needs to start winning the ball around 50 and up the wing, then delivering to Griffiths and Vickery with Nahas and King front & centre for the crumming.

playing at CHF will teach drive home the message that second and third efforts at the ball are a neccessity and that he needs to start earning his own ball. he also needs to stop bitching when the incoming delivery to him isn't spot on, let him win the ball and drive it into 50 so he can learn just how it's done and appreciate the efforts of the other players more.

The match review video

Hey Dimma, are you gonna make them have to watch that pissweak 2nd half performance - or are you going to let them be protected by their own effort again?

2nd half this week = same as the entire of last week.

Cowards . I'd make them watch the entire carlton game, and the 2nd half of last nights match in one sitting. Tell them " if your going to subject your members to watch this shit, so can you "

Letting people hide or "pretend" certain negative results didnt happen Dimma DOESNT mean it DIDN'T HAPPEN. Was a pretty weak response i thought last week from DH and we can't be too surprised we got the same effort when it counted this week.

Actually sick of watching this train wreck - its grown old - pretty much like me waiting for this shithole side to do SOMETHING that matches the spirit of that 95 team again.

Can you believe that for an entire generation - 95 IS our grand final.... a 80+ smashing at the hands of Geelong in a prelim... what a sad club this has become:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about we play on when the option is there instead of stopping all momentum by going back behind our mark therefore and allowing Essendon to constantly reset their zone.

Because we are so slow in terms of our ball movement Essendon are able to flood back and then on the turnover they or any team for that matter are running into an open area of 150m with no tigers players between them and the goal. Am I the only one that gets really pissed off with this tactic??? It's been killing us for years.

Re: The match review video

Hey Dimma, are you gonna make them have to watch that pissweak 2nd half performance - or are you going to let them be protected by their own effort again?

2nd half this week = same as the entire of last week.

Cowards . I'd make them watch the entire carlton game, and the 2nd half of last nights match in one sitting. Tell them " if your going to subject your members to watch this shit, so can you "

Letting people hide or "pretend" certain negative results didnt happen Dimma DOESNT mean it DIDN'T HAPPEN. Was a pretty weak response i thought last week from DH and we can't be too surprised we got the same effort when it counted this week.

Actually sick of watching this train wreck - its grown old - pretty much like me waiting for this shithole side to do SOMETHING that matches the spirit of that 95 team again.

Can you believe that for an entire generation - 95 IS our grand final.... a 80+ smashing at the hands of Geelong in a prelim... what a sad club this has become:thumbsdown:

don't ****ing move my post you twat. If i wanted it to be in this shitty thread i would have put it in here. Seriously, can't we even WRITE something in this ****ing world without someone trying to control it to be somewhere else? Leave my shit where it was left from now on. Isn't it bad enough that i have to barrack for this ****ing club, that i have my own supporters feeling the need to control my words?

Positives -

Griff. Luke Darcy said an interesting thing last night about Griff, that with talented young footballers who have been in the system for a while and haven’t been able to get a good run through injury, when they come in it takes time, but when you do a few really good telling things like Griffs contested marks, tackle and goal he starts to think he belongs in the big time and then comes on very quick.

Batchelor, Helbig and Conca were great draft choices and will add natural improvement next year and beyond.

Thursty, whilst he didn’t dominate he played his best game so far for Dimma and hardly put a foot wrong. He isn’t the answer to our back woes, but if no club makes a play for him at the end of the year I doubt he will be delisted.

Negatives -

Tackle count if possible was even worst that the last two weeks. it’s a real problem.

Deledios headband.

Last quarter disposals - Deledio 2, Vickery 1, Nahas 1, Jackson 1, Martin 0. Just not good enough.

9.5 scored against us from turnovers. Just not good enough.

Kingy might get a week, and i hope Vick just gets a fine.

Out - Post, he had a dip but just not up to it.

In - Graham.

Certainly need to address our tackling and work rate.
Last week the tackling was shamefull.
whilst the execution was a lot better last night, A look at the tackling numbers is frightening.
When you look down the list and see Foley 10,Newman 5,Deledio 5,Vickery 4,Jackson 4,Post 4 you would think it's pointing toward an 85-100 count and probable win.
It drops away alarmingly though sand these 6 made up over 50% of the total!!! Foley over 15% alone. It's not good enough.
Martin 1,Grigg 1,Edwards 1,Conca 1,Houli 1, Just really really poor.

Deledio was almost knocked out in that first quarter so I don't see why every idiot is calling for his head. He has not been coasting through games either, he has been one of our only consistent performers this year.

Loved what I saw from Griff, Helbig and was also pretty encouraged by Post too.

I'm sure that while the past few weeks have been tough to swallow, it should have given everyone the reality check we needed... We should all know exactly where we are at.. Finals are out of the question (and so they should be really when we consider where we've come from)......

I'd love to see the following for the remaining games:
- Post to play every single game unless injured..
- Us to get smart with the 'sub' rule , let's use it to give some of these kids who haven't got the motor or body conditioning to run out a full game a taste of the pace and intensity of afl. Guys like Macdonald, Dea (been a while since he played), Jakobi, O'Rielly (again been a while since he played).... What have we got to lose?
- Shake up the mids by maybe giving Jacko, Foley, Grigg or someone else a spell for a week or two.
- Give Goo another decent crack (by decent I mean a good chunk of games rather than one then getting axed) We know what McGuane and Thursty are capable off, let's see if we can upgrade (Not like he'd be keeping Astbury or Grimes out at the moment)....
- Play Morton, too much class there to ignore and we lack polish....

ins and outs

Out. Edwards, Nahas or Houli
Ins White, wish we had Taylor and i just dont know

Is it just me or does Jack look really slow / un fit ?

wish we had depth so we could make players like Reiwoldt Houli Grigg Edwards earn there spot not expect it

Positives were that the youngest players made good contributions - Cotchin, Vickery, Griff, Helbig, Batchelor. Batchelor has a fantastic debut season.
Negatives were 10 goals to none to finish the game.

It must just be me but I thought Post and Houli were good. Of course Post isn't up to it yet, he's only played a handful of games, that's why we need to keep playing him and giving him experience. I thought he showed enough tonight to show he's worth persisting with.

Jackson was terrible, got caught far too often.

I liked Vickery in the ruck and the different forward set up. Looks like the whole thing would work very well in the future. But I am worried that for Vickery to play ruck he would need to bulk up, where his strength right now is his speed and mobility. I don't want him to lose this so that he can get the size to be a #1 ruckman.

Thursty was very good. I've always liked him. He's a neat kick and is great at beating his opponent.

Foley was very good too. He's going under the radar a bit I think. He's having a pretty good year, is looking more and more comfortable again as the year goes on.

The spread of tackles is a worry. It's good that everyone got a tackle. But why can Foley get 10 every week when other midfielders struggle to ever get more than two? Each midfielder should have 4 tackles a game.

Agreed that Jackson had a shocker last night. Got caught in far too many tackles and didnt have a presence around the contest. Finished with 4 tackles, not good enough when Foley had 10.

Griffiths was terrific every time he was near the ball, some great contested marks and he chases hard... couldnt ask for anything more at his stage.

Thought Batchelor was excellent, needs his tackles to stick more often though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond Review - Positives/Negatives & Changes vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back