Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond Review - Positives/Negatives & Changes vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

It must just be me but I thought Post and Houli were good. Of course Post isn't up to it yet, he's only played a handful of games, that's why we need to keep playing him and giving him experience. I thought he showed enough tonight to show he's worth persisting with.
Wasn't our worst by any means. I thought he showed something too.

Wasn't our worst by any means. I thought he showed something too.

He's pretty much on track for where you would expect him to be I reckon. He worked into the game and looked like his confidence grew. I think last night was the first I notice him feel like he should be out there, Griffiths too.

Early on they looked a bit scared to lead in case they got in Jack's way but by the halftime they were presenting well.

Yeah I thought he was a pass too.There are some blokes running on empty I reckon.
Wouldn't mind seeing Martin start sub this week.A nice easy last 25 minutes would do him the world of good.
If the game was close he'd be a fair weapon to bring on and it's the perfect week to do it IMO.

Positives:
first half
vickery
cotchin
helbig

negatives:
our forwards not making the most of the play in our forward 50
rfc match committee not selecting a ruckman
lack of defensive pressure...30 less tackles than ess!
Kick outs...absolute shite

changes:
out grigg in tuck
out slops in morts
out thursty in goo
out ? In Gus

It must just be me but I thought Post and Houli were good. Of course Post isn't up to it yet, he's only played a handful of games, that's why we need to keep playing him and giving him experience. I thought he showed enough tonight to show he's worth persisting with.

Jackson was terrible, got caught far too often.

I liked Vickery in the ruck and the different forward set up. Looks like the whole thing would work very well in the future. But I am worried that for Vickery to play ruck he would need to bulk up, where his strength right now is his speed and mobility. I don't want him to lose this so that he can get the size to be a #1 ruckman.

Thursty was very good. I've always liked him. He's a neat kick and is great at beating his opponent.

Foley was very good too. He's going under the radar a bit I think. He's having a pretty good year, is looking more and more comfortable again as the year goes on.

The spread of tackles is a worry. It's good that everyone got a tackle. But why can Foley get 10 every week when other midfielders struggle to ever get more than two? Each midfielder should have 4 tackles a game.

it should be the aim of 4 tackle per game for everybody, thats 84, one a quarter. also when houli got caught in the pocket he was trying to hold up until a target up the line was available. this happens a lot so they should be told to have a out kick straight up the line. its better than getting caught in the 50 and costing goals!

Out: hislop, jackson
In: morton, browne

Make Thursty the sub so we aren't too tall

fb: houli mcguane newman
hb: post rance deledio
c: edwards cotchin conca
hf: morton griffiths king
ff: nahas vickery reiwoldt
foll: browne martin foley
int: grigg helbig batchelor thursfield(sub)

Out: hislop, jackson
In: morton, browne

Make Thursty the sub so we aren't too tall

fb: houli mcguane newman
hb: post rance deledio
c: edwards cotchin conca
hf: morton griffiths king
ff: nahas vickery reiwoldt
foll: browne martin foley
int: grigg helbig batchelor thursfield(sub)

I'd have thought that bringing in Morton (which Im all for) would mean that players like Edwards or Grigg would be in the gun before Jackson..

Not that Im saying that Jackson should be safe (far from it) but I'd be looking more towards a Tuck coming in for him..

Just rapt with batchelor's season thus far. He is very solid and has a lovely left leg. Griffiths playing excites me, but also scares me and will for a while until he can play regularly

Play Hislop in the middle and see what happens.

Jackson should be traded. Port fits.

Tucky won't be in at any time this year, there's no point putting him in the 'ins' cos the selection panel won't choose him

Going by today's surprisingly handsome win by Coburg

In: Morton Gourdis Graham

Out: Grigg Thursfield Hislop

Post as the Sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

REALLY want Grigg to be dropped. Has some deficiencies which he hasnt worked on.

In - Morton, Tuck, Gourdis, Graham
Out - Hislop, Grigg, McGuane, King

King out suspended - poor record is everything these days. Hislop I love right now but he would be down on match fitness, having been regular sub. Better he gets that back at Coburg, slower tempo. New fan though. McGuane for Gourdis is extremely wishful I know. Plz Dimma!?

REALLY want Grigg to be dropped. Has some deficiencies which he hasnt worked on.

Couldn't agree more. For such a big body he sure is a soft ****. He's as bad as Houli, but at least we knew what we were getting in Houli.

Out: Grigg, King (suspended)
In: Tuck, Morton

I liked the tall set up, don't want to see Browne or Graham back in any time soon. Let Post/Griff/Vicks get more running fitness into them.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish Matty White was fit........

Negatives

Grigg cannot play at this level. He is lazy, unaccountable and poorly skilled. What the Richmond coaches see in him is beyond me.

Hislop tries his heart out, but ditto Grigg.

Jackson is SLOW. A hard nut, but he kicks when he should handpass and handpasses when he should kick. Hopeless in front of goal.

Post - When (if ever) will this "arrive". Dominates at VFL level, but can't bring that form into AFL level.

Jack - Double and triple teamed. Other forwards need to step in and help him out more.

Match Committee - Picking no recognized ruckman was a huge gamble that backfired.

Tuck - Another BOG for Coburg, but will be overlooked again.

Leadership - There is none. Newman drops his head when the chips are down. Needs to be reviewed post season.

Midfield rotations are not working. Edwards and Grigg are not midfielders.

Positives

Helbig showed potential. Found space and used the ball well.

Thursfield seems to have found some confidence

Fixed the first quarter "slow starts" - at the cost of not competing in the last quarter.

Ben Griffiths and Tyrone Vickery will be VERY damaging forwards over the next 10 years. That's something to look forward to.

Coburg had a big win, and some senior players (White and Connors) should be returning soon.

Changes

Hopefully, the "experimental" decisions the MC have been making are over. What is has cost us is the possibility of finals. Time to pick "the best team to win".

Out - Grigg, Hislop, Jackson, Post
In - Tuck, Morton, Graham, Gourdis

Morton should be guaranteed a spot in the Seniors for the rest of the year. His performance will determine whether he plays on next year.

Graham has to play. Earned his spot, so needs to be rewarded.

Gourdis ditto Morton

Tuck is in out best 22. Grigg, Jackson and Tuck cannot be played in the same team. Only 2 of the 3 should play. At this point, Tuck is ahead of Jackson and Grigg.

If we cannot beat Gold Coast Suns this weekend, then I'll be very surprised and disappointing.

Negatives

Grigg cannot play at this level. He is lazy, unaccountable and poorly skilled. What the Richmond coaches see in him is beyond me.

Hislop tries his heart out, but ditto Grigg.

Jackson is SLOW. A hard nut, but he kicks when he should handpass and handpasses when he should kick. Hopeless in front of goal.

Post - When (if ever) will this "arrive". Dominates at VFL level, but can't bring that form into AFL level.

Jack - Double and triple teamed. Other forwards need to step in and help him out more.

Match Committee - Picking no recognized ruckman was a huge gamble that backfired.

Tuck - Another BOG for Coburg, but will be overlooked again.

Leadership - There is none. Newman drops his head when the chips are down. Needs to be reviewed post season.

Midfield rotations are not working. Edwards and Grigg are not midfielders.

Positives

Helbig showed potential. Found space and used the ball well.

Thursfield seems to have found some confidence

Fixed the first quarter "slow starts" - at the cost of not competing in the last quarter.

Ben Griffiths and Tyrone Vickery will be VERY damaging forwards over the next 10 years. That's something to look forward to.

Coburg had a big win, and some senior players (White and Connors) should be returning soon.

Changes

Hopefully, the "experimental" decisions the MC have been making are over. What is has cost us is the possibility of finals. Time to pick "the best team to win".

Out - Grigg, Hislop, Jackson, Post
In - Tuck, Morton, Graham, Gourdis

Morton should be guaranteed a spot in the Seniors for the rest of the year. His performance will determine whether he plays on next year.

Graham has to play. Earned his spot, so needs to be rewarded.

Gourdis ditto Morton

Tuck is in out best 22. Grigg, Jackson and Tuck cannot be played in the same team. Only 2 of the 3 should play. At this point, Tuck is ahead of Jackson and Grigg.

If we cannot beat Gold Coast Suns this weekend, then I'll be very surprised and disappointing.

if we cant beat Suns I will be driving to Melb from Canberra just to cut up my membership and chuck it in the Yarra!

we have Geelong the week after - reckon we ought drop Grigg or Jacko vs Abblettless Suns and bring in some young pace- Nason or even give Contin a run.

I am a huge Tucky fan but reckon we'd be better off giving him a week off to be tip top and bring him in for the Geelong match where we aer going to be getting reamed if they get continual 1st use of the ball.

might lose McG or Vik for a week or to to the MRP so ? will need a ruck in that case! - either or for me

if its McG -Goo again? has he ever been given 2 weeks in arow in the 1s? did nae think so, would be good to see a bit more of him, yes he has been on the list for a few years but has been chopped and changed and switched and dropped worse than Shultz was (and he hasnt even lost us a major sponsor)

Negatives
When (if ever)????
It's only his 3rd season, he shouldn't be expected to have "arrived" yet so what is with the knocks on why he hasn't yet?
If he was allowed some continuity of football at senior level this year then he may have shown some more. Last game was his 2nd in a row and I thought he did some good things so lets hope next week is the same and he improves some more.

Still far too soon to be gunning for the bloke

When (if ever)????
It's only his 3rd season, he shouldn't be expected to have "arrived" yet so what is with the knocks on why he hasn't yet?
If he was allowed some continuity of football at senior level this year then he may have shown some more. Last game was his 2nd in a row and I thought he did some good things so lets hope next week is the same and he improves some more.

Still far too soon to be gunning for the bloke

I would love to see Post settle as a permanent forward. He is not a pinch hitting ruckmen or a backline player.

Post was recruited a forward and should be played there, and not sent to the backline to fill holes. I'm not suggesting he should not play, but I'd prefer that if he goes back to Coburg, he should be played in the forward 50. Therefore the transition to the Seniors would be easier for him. He has one of the best set of hands at the club.

Out: Hislop - Cant question effort but sadly i dont think he makes the cut.
Post - There was worse but i would bring in Graham to alow us to play Vickery in the foward line and the 3 talls would really strech the young Suns defence.

In: Morton - At his best he is one of our best players, Was good for Coburg by reports an upgrade for Hislop.
Graham - As i said earlyier bringing in Graham would alow Vickery to play foward which would strech the young Sun defence.

With Coburg getting smashed... again and no one besides Tuck knocking on the on the door cant see a huge amout of changes. I would like to see Grigg come out for Tuck and right now i think its the right call but cant see Hardwick turning his back on the youth policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond Review - Positives/Negatives & Changes vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back