Review Freo burn the dirty birds by 35 points in Derby LIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the booing, last night was the most fun I'd had watching a derby in years. Nothing like a good pantomime villain to spice things up.

Serong is a jet - not sure why Culley was standing him for much of the second half, way too nimble and rightly put us to the sword.

Treacy and Waterman both up there for most improved players in the competition I reckon. Frederick continues to be widely underrated too imo.

Feels like it's any of yours, Sydney's or Brisbane's to win at this stage (and keep out of Victorian hands). Good luck for the rest of the season.
Spot on re the booing and the general pantomime. There’s always a small number of idiot supporters but for most it’s theatre , boo for the blokes in black hats and cheer the blokes in the white.

Reid instigates contact off the ball and performs a lot of sniper acts. He comes to contests late and barrels into players backs who are off the contest. Nothing is called. He needs a laying out or ten.

Schofield was embarrassing with his giggling and cheerleading of Reid. It was a horrible look.

Nice break before the next one - we should win next week and put a gap between us and the bottom part of the eight.
The Eagles board thinks Schofield was embarrassing in his cheerleading for Freo?

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haven’t watched the replay but at the game it looked like the further umpire called advantage and the closer one waited a couple of seconds before echoing that. I initially thought the closer one wanted to call it back but then he went along with his mate

We regularly hear this excuse that the players didn’t hear the whistle. Here’s a thought - do we need … louder whistles ?
And Or Mike up the umpires maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, after almost 10 years with the Derby rivalry almost being on life support for one reason or another (with possibly only Michael Johnson and Luke Ryan lining up and flattening Andrew Gaff in 2018 after the Brayshaw incident being the sole reminder), last night's game really did wind the clock back in a really refreshing way to the Worsfold / Connolly and Harvey eras where the two teams clearly hated one another and we always seemed to be the perennial spoke in the Eagles' wheel no matter what the ladder positions said. Except this time, for most of the first half, the reverse applied.

For all that, I was quite calm about the bluenyellah onslaught because I felt all we had to do was stick with them and they wouldn't be able to sustain it. I didn't think they'd fold like a cheap deckchair in the third the way they did, but the second half was generally pleasing in that way. I do have to give props to Jaeger O'Meara for kicking his goals when he did, just to stop the feeling the match was getting away from us.

In fact, goal kicking generally was on point from both teams. I have despaired for years that we really don't have accurate and reliable kicks from long distance the way we once did aside from Treacy - but to see the likes of Serong, Emmett and Switkowski (none of whom I have much confidence in beyond 40m) dob them from 50 quite easily made me feel a bit better.

I completely missed JL throwing the phone to the floor in the general confusion in the crowd about Fyfe "taking advantage" when all players had essentially stopped, but for someone normally quite controlled it was actually great to see the passion of the occasion. The umpiring wasn't terrible I have to say, and they did let a lot of the niggle go both ways and were generally consistent about their decisions; thank God Margetts has well and truly been washed out of the system in that regard!

I thought Sharp and especially Chapman had poor games, although both did do some good things. Chappy's form has concerningly been steadily growing worse to me over the last couple of months - for someone whose early wraps were as a calm and collected iceman, he did resemble a headless chicken too many times last night and that "kick" to Draper 15m out was one of our worst pieces of defensive play of the year. I have faith that he can turn it around, but he'll need to leading into finals.

As for Harley Reid? He does seem to have an enormous ego for a first year player, that's for sure, and plays too selfishly for his own good most of the time. But he is clearly a talented footballer who seems set to have a big career in prospect, and his amiable chats with our players after the final siren does show he enjoys the competition...I look forward to the days when I can watch him do his thing with another team, which probably will be relatively soon!
I thought Sharp was great.

We regularly hear this excuse that the players didn’t hear the whistle. Here’s a thought - do we need … louder whistles ?
And Or Mike up the umpires maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In this case the crowd is already very loud at the non call that happened seconds before. I don’t think the volume of umpires is an issue, just that they need to be more understanding and give more leeway

Don't mind the on-field malice towards Reid here but leave out all the 'off-field issues' nonsense where there's nothing substantial to it.

It's narrative-building, gossipy sniping and our supporter base should be better than that - I read countless posts from Oppo fans over the years stating that Ballantyne was 'scum on and off the field'. Nothing in it, he's a horse loving larrakin. Just say something often enough and it must be true right?

Get a grip.
100% people need to get a grip on criticising Reid. He’s the kinda player you go to the footy to watch at the end of the day. An entertainer.

A mate of mine from Tongala told me every private school in Melbourne pestered Reid for the the last couple of years to leave his home town and move to the city but he just wanted to stay at home and play with his mates to told them all to get stuffed. He knew he was heading to the AFL regardless.
I loved hearing that.

Clowns like Luke Darcy and JB from channel 7 who love inserting the private school of a recent top draftee into their calls of big game plays of young players might hate it but I love it.

“The boy from St Joseph’s College Echuca” doesn’t quite roll off the tongue for them quite as easily.

Everyone carrying on about Reid leaving WC as if it will be this big disaster

History says it’s more often than not the club who loses the superstar that comes out on top ….. at least in the long run

Food for thought

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hopefully they don't nail those picks but time will tell. He may actually realise he's perfect for the wet toast.

Just saw the clip of the 'advantage' call again. Boy oh boy. If that had been a close game in the end there would certainly be a lot more talk about it. Controversial to say the least. Common sense would have been just to let Amiss have his shot, but as we know, common sense isn't all that common.

The umpire calls 'advantage' once Fyfe picked up the ball. He is slowly moving the ball out of the way of the West Coast player who has clearly stopped running having heard the whistle for the free kick.

Such a tricky one to know what actually happened from here. Fyfe may have not heard the free kick had been payed - it was very very noisy. Players are allowed to pick up the ball after a free kick has been paid and give it to the person receiving the free, so even if he did hear the whistle, he had every right to pick up the ball.

Then, ALL the players stop and Jye Amiss puts his hand up in the air. Nobody had heard the 'advantage' call.

Fyfe then shapes to handball, but doesn't as by this time he has stopped to allow Amiss to take his free.

Was Fyfe taking steps to play on? Maybe. He certainly shapes to handball. If that's the case it was the right call by the ump to call play-on.

Was there an 'advantage'? no, but if the umpire had deemed that Fyfe had played on (ie taken the advantage) then he can't then call it back because the advantage didn't work out (dump kick to Barrass). Again, it was the correct call here as well.

Interestingly, I'm actually leaning that it was the right call. Wagner didn't sum up the situation very well and just dumped the kick. Shorter to Amiss over the top, who had front position or (if he'd looked to his left) there were other better options.

Oh well. We move on.

I don’t know who that is!
Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Just saw the clip of the 'advantage' call again. Boy oh boy. If that had been a close game in the end there would certainly be a lot more talk about it. Controversial to say the least. Common sense would have been just to let Amiss have his shot, but as we know, common sense isn't all that common.

The umpire calls 'advantage' once Fyfe picked up the ball. He is slowly moving the ball out of the way of the West Coast player who has clearly stopped running having heard the whistle for the free kick.

Such a tricky one to know what actually happened from here. Fyfe may have not heard the free kick had been payed - it was very very noisy. Players are allowed to pick up the ball after a free kick has been paid and give it to the person receiving the free, so even if he did hear the whistle, he had every right to pick up the ball.

Then, ALL the players stop and Jye Amiss puts his hand up in the air. Nobody had heard the 'advantage' call.

Fyfe then shapes to handball, but doesn't as by this time he has stopped to allow Amiss to take his free.

Was Fyfe taking steps to play on? Maybe. He certainly shapes to handball. If that's the case it was the right call by the ump to call play-on.

Was there an 'advantage'? no, but if the umpire had deemed that Fyfe had played on (ie taken the advantage) then he can't then call it back because the advantage didn't work out (dump kick to Barrass). Again, it was the correct call here as well.

Interestingly, I'm actually leaning that it was the right call. Wagner didn't sum up the situation very well and just dumped the kick. Shorter to Amiss over the top, who had front position or (if he'd looked to his left) there were other better options.

Oh well. We move on.
It's the right call.

It lacks common sense just like the rule however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 to 2 against WC , have a look at their last 12 2nd halves they’re like minus a million

Think what you want

17 other clubs my ass

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh I agree Eagles were very good for a half and fell away. We were a bit sloppy as well. But, downplaying a 10-2 second half in that game, with that intensity, in those conditions is a strange hill to die on.

Enjoyed JOM’s game; his goal kicking was important when things weren’t going our way.

The toast do have some good marking forwards, and they brought an effective nullifying game but couldn’t keep up that level of pressure the whole game, thankfully.

Would like to see Chappy get his mojo back (although he looked less bad on the replay than he did live).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo burn the dirty birds by 35 points in Derby LIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back