Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie - Height: 173cm Weight: 78k, shit would he that heavy? Stats from Footywire.

Can confirm these measurements are correct.

Wouldn't say he has a thin build. If anything is reasonably stocky, but with his quickness it is only natural that people will associate speed with a thin build.

163cm and looks every bit that short live.

Tony Liberatore won a brownlow at that height so players that short can have success at AFL level.

We just have to hope Edwards' game continues to grow and can do the talking. With what he does it matters little what height he is, he just needs to do what he does more often in games.
Edwards can sprint from the back pocket all the way up to the forward flank without anyone being able to stop him which is what makes him such a special player.

Dermott Brereton dominated CHF at 185 cm in the same era... 25 years ago the average heights were alot shorter. Not a reasonable comparison in my view.

Players that short can not have success at AFL level, as evidenced by the fact that there aren't any on any lists (and haven't been for a long time). That isn't because they don't exist - it is because they can't play football at an AFL level with their height.

Speed. So much that he would make Stephen Hill jealous. Edwards is moderately evasive and has a sidestep and the ability to change direction quickly, but it's the pure speed that makes him stand out from the pack.

Would imagine from a dead sprint he would out-do just about anyone on an AFL list if he was to run from the opposition goals up to our forward 50.

Hope it is true, but I am interested to know what evidence we have of this. I know he probably wouldn't have done too much testing yet, so I keen to understand the basis for this. Have you seen him play much?

Hope it is true, but I am interested to know what evidence we have of this. I know he probably wouldn't have done too much testing yet, so I keen to understand the basis for this. Have you seen him play much?

I know this because I saw Edwards do just this for Scotch against Carey in the APS competition 2 months ago.

Edwards had a mostly quiet game on the day but in this one play he collected the ball in the back pocket, sprinted all the way from the back pocket up to the forward flank at full speed and lace out delivered a short pass to a leading forward. Never seen a play like it and he absolutely bolted that distance faster than Chris Yarran or Stephen Hill would, it was properly incredible. Those are the types of plays you'd hope to see him do more often and with more regularity in games because when he runs he can really turn games with the best of them.

It was only the one play and again he didn't do all that much else in that game, but regardless it was by far the play of the game and a really special play you don't see at any level.

It wasn't exactly low level competition playing with Carey having: Jack Viney, Matthew Haynes, Kristian Jaksch, Jackson Macrae, Nathan Hrovat who could all get drafted this year then Darcy Moore. And Scotch having: James Stewart, Jack Billings, Darren Allen, Jake Kelly and Elijah Edwards among others which is more talent that you would see in the average TAC Cup game which suggests that he could make similar meaningful running plays against higher level competition.

I don't have Edward's testing. But I would expect he would be in the 1% top for speed over 5,10,20,50,100 and 200m for his age.

Though Edwards biggest Problem would be like Brad Dick can his Body Withstand AFL Footy

I don't really buy into the idea of "body can't withstand afl footy".

Players with thin builds typically have the longest AFL careers. Look at Michael Tuck. Played 426games at a thin build. 188cm, 76kg.

As a shorter type Tony Liberatore was able to play nearly 300 games and I don't see any issues with shorter types other than they might finish their development a little quicker than a taller type.

Edwards is a different type to both. But for me it's more that I want to see him continue to develop and continue to improve his game. I'm not super concerned about durability in his case and while he will get pushed around being a smaller guy who won't ever really need to carry allot of weight I don't see him having the freak injury run we have experienced with Brad Dick.

With regard to Brad Dick he just had a terrible injury run and clearly didn't have great luck but I have no issues with his body type as a medium size player with a thin build nor do I have any issues with the durability of shorter types either with regard to longetivity and durability.

I'd be more concerned with a player who has a brother in the system who has had major injury difficulties or if the player has had LARS - Troy Menzel (brother of Daniel) would be a player I would be very worried about drafting for both these reasons. But otherwise I'd draft the player on talent and forget the injuries because there have been more than enough examples of guys coming in who have had injury concerns as juniors who have absolutely amazed at AFL level and really turned that around - Chris Judd and Joel Selwood would be the most popular examples of this.

Durability concerns are more relevant when trading into a player on an opposition list. The reason for this is as juniors these kids don't have access to nearly the same resources that are available at AFL clubs to allow them to keep healthy - so it really takes some years in the AFL system to get a clear indication of whether the player will have regular injuries throughout their career or whether they will be durable and miss few games. Whereas with players who have spent time on AFL lists you really know who the guy is and how many games they are likely to play per year so you can get a better idea of what you are investing in, in this regard.

Headshot of James Stewart:

262556.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy is rated within the top 3 players in that age bracket in Victoria. Unsure of the AFL rules, but we should have a hand in his development until he gets drafted.

He was lined up against Hugh Goddard (Brendans brother) I believe Hugh is a key defender, meaning Darcy spent a fair bit of time forward.

Thats all I have for now, still searching for bests, goal kickers etc.

If he really is 197cm or there abouts then he'd have to be one of the tallest players in the tournament. I looked at the ACT/NSW squad, their tallest player is 193cm. Couldn't find the heights of the Vic teams.

James Stewart also lined up for Sandy today vs Eastern Ranges. Didn't see the game, but was goal less (despite Sandy kicking 19 goals...) and wasn't named in the bests. Stats will be out around Wednesday IIRC.

Darcy was second best for Vic Metro today. I can only assume he played back as his opponent Goddard got 2 goals.

For those interested, he will be eligible to play as an under ager for Oakleigh Chargers next season.

Adding to previous comments on James Stewart, Emma Quayle has said on twitter that a few clubs are interested in James.. So it's unlikely no clubs will bid for him.

Darcy was second best for Vic Metro today. I can only assume he played back as his opponent Goddard got 2 goals.

Where did you get that Info?

Well Goddard might of Gone Forward Later in Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back