Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy looks around 200cm, and really does stand out when in the crowd. To think that he's only 16, and he's got another 2-3 maybe even more years to keep growing, he will be a giant.

If he doesn't lose any of his athletic abilities, then he really will be freak material.

I'm fairly sure that he's taller than Witts was at 16. I swear I read somewhere Witts was 195-196 when he was 16. Very exciting times for us!
Witts was 197cm at 15 when we signed him, and is now standing at least 209cm, but that level of growth is freakish and not to be expected.

Witts was 197cm at 15 when we signed him, and is now standing at least 209cm, but that level of growth is freakish and not to be expected.

I am not expecting that Kind of Growth, At best I say he could get to 205cm at best

Going by the pic, and judging from what his dad said, I'd say he seems more like a Kreuzer type.

But he plays forward and back, as opposed ot ruck, so maybe he's not that tall? Either way, he's only 16 so he still has growing. If he can hit around the 200cm mark, and put on some muscle, or at least really develop the core strength, then I say we grab him at a high price!

I think we need to temper our expectations. From what I hear he's a good player at junior level without being exceptional, so give the kid time to develop and grow into his body, and gain the confidence he needs to play regular AFL-level footy. Let's see if we can get him for a little better than market prices, and then, as with most big men, hold on to see him develop slowly through the ranks. I'm sure if he ever gets the chance to pull on the black and white seniors jumper he will have well and truly earned it.

I went along. Stewart ended up getting 22 disposals, he kicked 2 goals and took 4 contested marks. Looks a beauty.

I went along. Stewart ended up getting 22 disposals, he kicked 2 goals and took 4 contested marks. Looks a beauty.

I would of if Been Closer. So can you explain how he played?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewarts Stats:

1006201250020pm.png

Played as a third tall, high hit up forward. He's not the type that will play your traditional KPF. Would be 197 cm and really glides / moves well over the ground for someone that tall. Is a beautiful kick, can hit up targets or kick long goals 50 out on both sides.

If I was to compare, he would be like a 'mini' Lachy Keefe, with a much better understanding of the game and better skills and athletically is superior. It isn't really about output for Stewart this year, Scotch is a major focus for him this year, that happens with a lot of APS players. He also has the AIS and Sandy on the radar but he is a very likely type.

He didn't play up in Darwin as that weekend Scotch played Melbourne Grammar. That is their marquee game for the year and pretty much instructed him to play in that game. 2 years ago Metro pulled out Libba and Wallis in a deciding game in the APS for their school, since then, most schools have invoked that rule in important games.

Played as a third tall, high hit up forward. He's not the type that will play your traditional KPF. Would be 197 cm and really glides / moves well over the ground for someone that tall. Is a beautiful kick, can hit up targets or kick long goals 50 out on both sides.

If I was to compare, he would be like a 'mini' Lachy Keefe, with a much better understanding of the game and better skills and athletically is superior. It isn't really about output for Stewart this year, Scotch is a major focus for him this year, that happens with a lot of APS players. He also has the AIS and Sandy on the radar but he is a very likely type.

He didn't play up in Darwin as that weekend Scotch played Melbourne Grammar. That is their marquee game for the year and pretty much instructed him to play in that game. 2 years ago Metro pulled out Libba and Wallis in a deciding game in the APS for their school, since then, most schools have invoked that rule in important games.

Yeah I saw simmlar thing in the RD 1 game he played for Sandy but Sounded like he was really good Today.

I had him a Simmlar Type of player to Jack Watts

His stats look really good, 15 contested possessions out of the 23 is a great sign...

I've seen him play, agree with Dave somewhat, reminds me a little of Jack Watts when he went through the U/18 carnival.

Went along today to see Stewart for the second time this year, the first being the same Sandringham game that Dave went to earlier in the year.

Everything Terex8 posted is spot on, he moves incredibly well for a 197cm tall -- but he doesn't play that key position role as such. I was impressed with his poise the first time I saw him play earlier this year, but I'd rate his performance today higher than that TAC Cup outing.

He's super clean below the knees for a player his size, plenty of times today he came through and cleaned up a mess by collecting the disputed ball, standing up in a tackle (if not spinning out of it) and dishing to a team mate.

Kicked both his goals from set shots, one of them 40 out directly in the front and the other about 45-50 out on a 45 degree angle. Could have probably had a couple more though, as he had a few chances in good position in the second quarter but did the team thing by trying to square it up to team mates. The first goal was as a result of a free kick for a high tackle, after dancing around two or three opponents and getting clocked by the fourth.

Played down back in the final quarter, where he was honest and checked his man closely but had a good sense of when to leave his man to win the ball. Mopped up really well, very composed in his decision making and kicking. Dual sided as previously mentioned, his left foot kicking action looks just as smooth as his preferred foot.

Does seem a little selective at times in regards to how hard he goes, but when he does get a sniff of winning the ball his pace and evasive ability can be freakish.

Quite pleased with what I saw, I'd say he's very likely. As others have mentioned, I can't see him being a powerful forward, but at his height and athleticism and with the smarts to play both ends, he'd be of good value down the track.

Went along today to see Stewart for the second time this year, the first being the same Sandringham game that Dave went to earlier in the year.

Everything Terex8 posted is spot on, he moves incredibly well for a 197cm tall -- but he doesn't play that key position role as such. I was impressed with his poise the first time I saw him play earlier this year, but I'd rate his performance today higher than that TAC Cup outing.

He's super clean below the knees for a player his size, plenty of times today he came through and cleaned up a mess by collecting the disputed ball, standing up in a tackle (if not spinning out of it) and dishing to a team mate.

Kicked both his goals from set shots, one of them 40 out directly in the front and the other about 45-50 out on a 45 degree angle. Could have probably had a couple more though, as he had a few chances in good position in the second quarter but did the team thing by trying to square it up to team mates. The first goal was as a result of a free kick for a high tackle, after dancing around two or three opponents and getting clocked by the fourth.

Played down back in the final quarter, where he was honest and checked his man closely but had a good sense of when to leave his man to win the ball. Mopped up really well, very composed in his decision making and kicking. Dual sided as previously mentioned, his left foot kicking action looks just as smooth as his preferred foot.

Does seem a little selective at times in regards to how hard he goes, but when he does get a sniff of winning the ball his pace and evasive ability can be freakish.

Quite pleased with what I saw, I'd say he's very likely. As others have mentioned, I can't see him being a powerful forward, but at his height and athleticism and with the smarts to play both ends, he'd be of good value down the track.

Thanks for the Report 10th Letter. Was a Bit Cold Today and I had a busy last 2 Days and I needed Rest for Tommorow.

He be on TV a Few Times anyway.

This what Chris25 Reported:

James Stewart - He was OK, I think his stats look better than his actual game though. He ran hard and presented quite nicely, but he just didn't look at all strong in the contest especially given the opposition. Took a few marks, but also dropped some he should have taken with minimal pressure around him. Much like his game, his kicking was OK without being special. He did finish with two goals, but I was expecting more.

Would you agree

Hey Dave,

I hear you on the busy front, didn't manage to make it down to the VFL yesterday myself.

On Chris25's report, I'd say that's a fair assessment overall. He did some very nice things, but he wasn't dominant by any stretch and wasn't a continual presence. Floated in and out of the game and he isn't the sort of forward that really demands the ball.

Like Chris, I was a little surprised by his stats in the end, as I would have counted 2 or 3 possessions in the first quarter. I had to leave with 5 or so minutes left in the final quarter, where he was getting the ball a bit more down back, so I imagine he padded his stats a bit during that term.

Thought his work rate in general play could be improved a little, as he trods around a bit and there were quite a few times when he didn't really gun it to provide an option in transition when Metro won the ball back. At the same time, there were some moments when he presented hard or got open in a good spot but wasn't used. In the first quarter in particular he seemed to keep finding himself in no man's land between play, either too short an option or a kick and a half away from the ball carrier.

Can't say that I saw him spill any routine marks myself, but as you would know you can miss a little when the play is unfolding on the far side. To my memory he two grabbed one mark, but the other aerial opportunities that came his way (when not competing in a pack, not his forte) he took cleanly overhead.

Didn't make every kick count and struck one or two mongrels, but also hit some really nice long passes to the chests or advantage side of leading targets.

From what I've seen of him - which granted isn't a heap - he isn't a first round certainty, but to me definitely looks worthy of drafting and developing. I don't think many Pies fans would complain if we manage to get him down the order a bit and can use a higher live pick or two in the draft, for the first time in a couple of years.

^^^^

What you say The 10th Letter he is a Project Player that would need a Few Seasons to Develop but would have High Upside IF he can put it together he could be a Very Good Player.

IF we can get him in the 2nd Round that would be Fantastic as that Leaves our 1st Rounder to do what we want with though a Team might call us out and use a 1st Rounder Bid on Him.

Sounds like he needs the most work is on his Work Ethic

^^^^

What you say The 10th Letter he is a Project Player that would need a Few Seasons to Develop but would have High Upside IF he can put it together he could be a Very Good Player.

IF we can get him in the 2nd Round that would be Fantastic as that Leaves our 1st Rounder to do what we want with though a Team might call us out and use a 1st Rounder Bid on Him.

Sounds like he needs the most work is on his Work Ethic

At the moment, if another team wants to use their 1st rounder on him i'd let them.

Whata u reckon?

At the moment, if another team wants to use their 1st rounder on him i'd let them.

Whata u reckon?

Not Sure at the Moment. It's how much you Believe he can reach his Peak or Not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back