Autopsy Game is long over, Swans were putrid

Remove this Banner Ad

I do feel we were tired against St Kilda so I did give them a pass in that game, the Freo game was poor though agree. It's been a mile worse since we are trying to fit Parker in and a captain who can't run. Why on earth hasn't Mills done a mini pre season in the VFL. We have been playing a man down since he's bee back as he's half fit at best
Tired? So what? We came in off an 8 day break, with 2 or 3 x 7 day breaks before that. We should have flogged the Saints. It was as bad as the Dogs game.

Freo were actually a good opponent.

I agree, Mills should have come back via the VFL, I said so at the time, and I'd send him there this week.

Oh we're doing the "slower, less flashy players have no place" thing? It makes no sense. If Rowy has a place, a fit Mills does too.

He's either a mid or he plays as a medium defender, but when he's fit and in form.

Rowbottom is better going forward and we don’t need two in our midfield

Rowbottom is better going forward and we don’t need two in our midfield
In the span of 30 minutes you have retired Parker and traded Mills & Warner.

RIP Rowbottom. Gone too soon. Succumbed to back and shoulder injuries.

Tired? So what? We came in off an 8 day break, with 2 or 3 x 7 day breaks before that. We should have flogged the Saints. It was as bad as the Dogs game.

Freo were actually a good opponent.

I agree, Mills should have come back via the VFL, I said so at the time, and I'd send him there this week.

Needed to play for a month in the VFL you cannot replace match fitness don’t care how many laps you’ve run on the SCG. It was a ridiculous decision at the time. Now it’s not the ONLY reason we’ve been in a rot though there’s a dozen players who have needed a rest. Why we didn’t rest a few against North at home I’ll never know.

In the span of 30 minutes you have retired Parker and traded Mills & Warner.

RIP Rowbottom. Gone too soon. Succumbed to back and shoulder injuries.

I’ve said there’s a role for Parker- as the sub. In a big game no issue him as the sub.

I’d at least be open to trading the other two Warner is the big one but I hope we’ve got some idea before this years period which way this goes. He’s been drinking his own bath water for a month now.

Even against the Saints we were up 30 points and then we just fumbled it in terrible fashion. We were just doing our usual thing in the 2nd quarter and then we went to sleep. Letting them get a run on.

That was bad for sure. Maybe the team would be in a different place if we pulled that out, even if its by less than a goal. But somehow the Dogs and Port games were worse. Historical levels of bad.

Needed to play for a month in the VFL you cannot replace match fitness don’t care how many laps you’ve run on the SCG. It was a ridiculous decision at the time. Now it’s not the ONLY reason we’ve been in a rot though there’s a dozen players who have needed a rest. Why we didn’t rest a few against North at home I’ll never know.

Separately to Mills and Parker, I'd say the reason we didn't rest players against North is that we had just been trash against the Saints and lost, and North were arguably in better form than them.

Even against the Saints we were up 30 points and then we just fumbled it in terrible fashion. We were just doing our usual thing and then we went to sleep. Letting them get a run on.

That was bad for sure. Maybe the team would be in a different place if we pulled that out. But somehow the Dogs and Port games were worse. Historical levels of bad.
And yet, against the Lions in Brisbane we were pretty good (apart from the obligatory awful first quarter).

I’m just bewildered how the team that played Brisbane can morph into the team that played Port in the space of a fortnight. It can’t all be down to the intervening loss of Melican.

We made a GF in 2022 with Parker, Mills and Rowy as 3 of the 4 mids to crack 50% CBAs.

Sorry, I really can't understand this.
Yep they were our core three in the lead up to that GF.

I don't know if Mills & Parker can replicate that form again, but I don't see why we can't try and emulate that dynamic. Hard, contested, two-way players working together.

If those two aren't the answer, then we need to find out if a Sheldrick or a Cleary could be. Young and raw, sure, but what are our options?

We made a GF in 2022 with Parker, Mills and Rowy as 3 of the 4 mids to crack 50% CBAs.

Sorry, I really can't understand this.

How did that final go? Game has moved on from having a number of those types (with the stand rule coming in). We sort of have a second in there with Jordan tagging someone.

I feel it’s one of Mills/Parker as the sub personally. Mills needs to play 2 weeks of VFL badly as even his kicking was diabolical and that’s one thing he usually is efficient at (least the mid range ones)

Separately to Mills and Parker, I'd say the reason we didn't rest players against North is that we had just been trash against the Saints and lost, and North were arguably in better form than them.

At the time we were 3 games ahead surely it was worth a rest not for the whole side just an important one or two. I have felt for a while that Horse runs players into the ground rather than looking at the bigger picture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did that final go? Game has moved on from having a number of those types (with the stand rule coming in). We sort of have a second in there with Jordan tagging someone.

I feel it’s one of Mills/Parker as the sub personally. Mills needs to play 2 weeks of VFL badly as even his kicking was diabolical and that’s one thing he usually is efficient at (least the mid range ones)
We had our worst run of centre bounce losses in that game when it was Parker, Warner and Papley in there.

Oh, so because we capitulated in a game, the whole year can be ignored? Lol.

The stand rule came in the year before, in 2021.

Jordon has attended a whopping 8% of CBs this year.

We've gone past this year, we agree on Mills at the moment. But you're trying to make the case he's probably done as a midfielder, maybe completely as a player...

Speaking of Jordon, is he still doing tagging jobs on anyone? Looks like he hasn’t to the same level recently, but I could be wrong. Seemed like we’d unearthed something there.

Obviously the Papley injury is big - he’s probably more important to getting us up and about than we’d like to admit. McInerney with a bit of x-factor too at times. They don’t seem like monumental outs on paper but they kind of are.

Other than that, we simply don’t have the depth in defence to absorb injuries to both Rampe and Melican. It’s a real weakness and something we can’t paper over. Need at least one of them back as soon as this week. Francis is just not up to the level required. Not his fault, but he’s a liability.

Oh Heeney needs to have a solid spell in the forward line too, especially with Papley out.

Oh, so because we capitulated in a game, the whole year can be ignored? Lol.

The stand rule came in the year before, in 2021.

Jordon has attended a whopping 8% of CBs this year.

We've gone past this year, we agree on Mills at the moment. But you're trying to make the case he's probably done as a midfielder, maybe completely as a player...

The new mix of mids got us to 13-1. Just maybe go with that mix rather than going back to what worked years ago. Said it when there was talk on Parker he should play FWD (in Amarteys spot), and Mills should probably play back or as a HFF. I’d rather back the mids this season that got us to 13-1.

The new mix of mids got us to 13-1. Just maybe go with that mix rather than going back to what worked years ago. Said it when there was talk on Parker he should play FWD (in Amarteys spot), and Mills should probably play back or as a HFF. I’d rather back the mids this season that got us to 13-1.

13-3*

Heeney, Rowy, Warner were our main mids on Saturday night. Especially the section where we went 0-71.

Anyway, we agree Mills shouldn't be in mids right now, but I find it hard to understand your point about him not having a place in future, whether mids or possibly not even in the team.

Before or after we trade Chad?

Before or after we trade Chad?

I said let’s listen to the offers, I hope we have an idea before this off season and that’s more than fair. He has been diabolical for a month.

I think our poor form has little to do with Mills and Parker coming back. Both are now on a lower tier of players who determines how we go.

It actually really comes back to one player and that's Heeney. Having him firing like he was at the start of the year was like adding Bont to our team. With him now having no influence on the game, it's literally like going from 100 to zero. But I don't blame him as I'm sure he's carrying a chronic ankle problem and the others around him should have lifted. Best thing for him at the moment is to go back to HF and kick us a few goals and bring some pressure.

I think our poor form has little to do with Mills and Parker coming back. Both are now on a lower tier of players who determines how we go.

It actually really comes back to one player and that's Heeney. Having him firing like he was at the start of the year was like adding Bont to our team. With him now having no influence on the game, it's literally like going from 100 to zero. But I don't blame him as I'm sure he's carrying a chronic ankle problem and the others around him should have lifted. Best thing for him at the moment is to go back to HF and kick us a few goals and bring some pressure.
They didn't cause it, but particularly Mills, having unfit and out of touch players makes it harder for the rest of the team to correct it.

Not sure half forward is any easier on the ankle.

But I do agree that injury is the only plausible explanation for his dramatic drop-off. Seems to happen every year - which suggests it is indeed a chronic issue.

Would love to see him spending some more time forward, particularly with Papley out and Wicks doing cardio.

Not sure if it's to do with the way we're structured around the contest but Heeney has just been operating in a phone box for the past 2 months. No time at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Game is long over, Swans were putrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back