Mr Magoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2005
West Lakes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Very sad to hear by more than one source that Gavin Wanganeen will hang up the boots at the end of the year. I've heard it from a mate of mine who knows Wanganeen quite well & he said that Gav doesn't feel that he could put his body through another year of football. A few of the football players have also mentioned to people i know at the club that this is Gavin's last year. :(

So with that in mind get to AAMI stadium for round 22 & show your support & appreciation for the guy they call "The indian rubber man".

Best make reference to him at his prime at Bomberland, a Brownlow, B&F and being an integral part of the baby Bomber Flag of 1993. True rubber man, agile, quick, uncanny from half back, solid worker and surpremely corageous. Was one of the best of his generation, onya Gavin! ;)

I like it when, Gav gets it in the head (not that it's a good thing), but you know he is okay when he gets up and limps. Because if he limps just that little bit, you'll know he'll run off and play like nothing has happened.

From a premireship down at the Magpies, to Bomberland, back home to Port - fantastic career and a fab guy. If anyone has had the pleasure of meeting him, he is a down to earth kinda bloke.

Mr Magoo said:
Very sad to hear by more than one source that Gavin Wanganeen will hang up the boots at the end of the year. I've heard it from a mate of mine who knows Wanganeen quite well & he said that Gav doesn't feel that he could put his body through another year of football. A few of the football players have also mentioned to people i know at the club that this is Gavin's last year. :(

So with that in mind get to AAMI stadium for round 22 & show your support & appreciation for the guy they call "The indian rubber man".

I heard Wanga's say it with my own ears when we come back for the Melbourne Game!! The fellow I was talking to was trying to talk Gav into going on, but Gav just kept saying how his body was taking so long to recover, how much he was hurting after the games.

Who knows, maybe the long break this year will give him time to recover, and give him time to re think, and prehaps make that magical number 300!! Be a shame to go out now when he is so close, that I think - that and a longer break between the pre season training - may just see him playing in 2006!!

No more Gav hey? What an exceptional career he has had. One of my favourite players of all time, an absolute joy to watch.

It's hard to say as a Crows fan ... but he's been a true champion of the game. He frustrates the absolute sh.t out of me sometimes - probably because he doesn't play for my team. Good luck Gav. Happy retirement.

Last night highlighted to me he still has great footy in him. :cool:

Blight and co. mentioned the situation last night, even off the bench going forward he gives you so much.

Sheeds said:

Blight and co. mentioned the situation last night, even off the bench going forward he gives you so much.

Gave has had an absolute brilliant career, surely one of the greatest of all time.

We Love Ya Gave!

Sheeds said:

Exactly. Gav is one of those rare players who have been able to both hold an opponent for a whole game with disciplined play AND be a burst player able to change the course of a match with a handful of possessions in a few minutes. Unfortunately the former has looked to have largely gone this year, but up forward it clearly shows he still has the latter.

As a pinch hitting forward able to punish sides with 2 or 3 quick goals in bursts next year Wanganeen still has a lot to offer. And it's within his battered bodies ability. Hopefully Choco doesn't ruin any chance of him playing on next year by putting him back in defense for extended periods the next two weeks.

Sheeds said:
Last night highlighted to me he still has great footy in him.
We sit on the outer wing and Wangas got the ball in front of us in an area well populated by Crows players. He manouevred himself out of difficulty and then got it to a team mate. It was sheer class and a reminder of the absolute champion he is.

I'll miss him so much. The desperate diving marks, the uncanny snaps for goal like the one in the prelim. which was curving away from goal in the flight then halfway through its trajectory curved back the other way all due to the way he dropped it on his boot. I'll miss him getting up like a wounded seagull so you think he'll be out for the season and then five minutes later he's done something special ('Cause he got a touch of the thespian in him hasn't he. :D ) I'll miss seeing him have a shot from beyond 50 and knowing he'll almost certainly kick it if it's important.

What a fantastic career and what a dignified way he's gone about it.

ajp34o.jpg
ajp3co.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be gutted if he calls it quits this year but I must admit he has looked a little tired at times this year. IF he does go then I hope we can give him the send off that he deserves on the final day of the season.
He is a true champion. Some of the things he has done over the years have been quite simply astounding. He will be sorely missed.
Good onya Gav, thanks for all the wonderful memories.

JuniorBurger said:
Will be gutted if he calls it quits this year but I must admit he has looked a little tired at times this year. IF he does go then I hope we can give him the send off that he deserves on the final day of the season.
He is a true champion. Some of the things he has done over the years have been quite simply astounding. He will be sorely missed.
Good onya Gav, thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Yep me to, love the bloke. One of my fav things I brought on us winning the GF is a framed picture and it has Gav jumpin in the air after kicking his 4th goal in nine minutes. Christ will be hard to think of our team with out him and Jamey's next year, both are game winning players for us!!

I'd love to see him stay in the side next year, as a forward pocket. The other thing I really love about him is his tackling. He is one of THE best in the business at running down opponents and laying a great tackle. His presence in the forward line would just lift his teammates.

If we can persevere with Choppy and his "woes", surely there's a spot for Gav. Please don't go Sir Gav. The side needs you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gavin Wanganeen Thanks for the memories/appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back