Geelong break record for most wins in a decade

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet the Cats can't draw 30k to a Victorian fixture not featuring Hawthorn despite being 5-0. Say what you like about the Hawks 1-4 start but at least they've fronted up in half decent numbers (78.2k v Dons, 62.3k v Cats, 37.4k v Crows and 28.9k v Eagles) as compared to the Cats (62.3k v Hawks, 33.8k v Saints, 30.9k v North and 29.7k v Dees)

Imagine if the Cats had some home games in there....

And don't try and claim that playing North and Melbourne at Etihad were home games. That's like pointing at the Hawks's Tasmania games and saying "See, they don't draw to home games!".

Yes, when people remember 2008 that's what they'll think of. So what? We get 07, 09 and 11 where your mob were picking peanuts out of their own excrement presumably.

Go back to the club mate, down another cold one.

No when people remember that era they remember Hawthorn as the dominant side.

I saw a stat today that shows that this amazing club has broken yet another record, this time it's the record for the most wins in a decade by a club.

From round 6 2007 to round 5 2017, we have won 188 games. Amazing.

Previously the record was held by Hawthorn with 186 wins from round 1 1982 to the 1991 grand final.

The next best after that is Carlton with 173 wins from round 7 1978 to round 6 1988.

Such domination shouldn't be possible in the era of equalisation

Is this the equalisation era or the era with 2 new expansion clubs to pad up a few more wins than tougher eras when finishing top 5 probably harder?

It should be noted in the decade you have pointed out Cats with a good winning record across home and away wins they dropped to 7th finish in 2012 and 10th in 2015.
Carlton and Hawthorn never finished below 5th in the periods you compared it too.
Plus Hawks and Carlton won more grand finals in their respective periods.

It is an excellent home and away record for a decade, no doubting that.

The overall win loss result is what ultimately determines the greatness of a side (in fact I would argue overall goals for vs against). Given the one off nature of finals, flags have a large random meaningless element to them that makes them a bit irrelevant. The episode of Adam Ruins Everything on gridiron explains this point beautifully. Finals are fricken stupid. Geelong the best team of all time. The stats prove it.

Is this the equalisation era or the era with 2 new expansion clubs to pad up a few more wins than tougher eras when finishing top 5 probably harder?

It should be noted in the decade you have pointed out Cats with a good winning record across home and away wins they dropped to 7th finish in 2012 and 10th in 2015.
Carlton and Hawthorn never finished below 5th in the periods you compared it too.

The two new teams are irrelevant

We've played both the Suns and the Giants twice in a season just once. And in the Giants case it was last year where they finished top 4. The current era has skewed draws that punish the good sides and generally give them only one match against the shit sides from the previous season.

In the past, specifically pre-AFL days, you would get two cracks at every side.
Ladder position has what relevance to the stat, exactly? If anything, it highlights the relative evenness of the comp in the current era that a side can win a high percentage of games but not be assured of a top four berth.

The flags are irrelevant.

We haven't broken a record for flags in a decade. We have broken a record for home and away wins. So what have grand final wins got to do with it?
Nadal broke the record for clay court titles a few days ago. Bringing up grand final wins would be like someone saying 'yeah Nadal has 50 clay court titles but how many of them were at the French Open?'

(For the record he holds the benchmark at the French as well but it holds only minor relevance to the 50 titles thing)

This says a lot more about the eventual premiers in this diluted era (2012 - 2016) as the inclusion of the franchises prevented other contenders from gaining elite young talent to compete against team/s who've built their list prior to the compromised draft. Funny that certain people quickly pooh pooh the idea of compromised drafts negatively impacting the quality and standard of league when that topic is brought up but using (which I don't dispute, you're 100% in saying this era (2012 - 2016)isn't comparable to high standards of even 4 or 5 years prior to the franchises entering the league) it to discredit a Geelong achievement, well that is totally fine.

If only you'd won 189, huh
Yep, if only we'd started last years prelim final a little better, we would have made it 190 the week after. :D

Its not an argument you'll ever sell to you grand children.
The Hawfs won't even try and sell it these days.
IMG_8982.JPG
Dean "The Weapon" Robinson was hired by the Geelong Football Club in 2007.
Hopefully he gets a footnote credit for our success post that. :)
How can a team beat the all time record of wins in a decade during equalisation?

DRUGS
Use drugs = bloody idiot.

Use drugs and make it home = bloody legend. :)
You'd have to be a pretty good club to dope and get away with it after being audited. So if we did (lol) and left no paper trail then it simply means we're a better club in that regard too.
I just love how we got away with it scott free and will forever leave the acusers salty. :)
No when people remember that era they remember Hawthorn as the dominant side.
Not really if you consider Geelong had the best win/loss ratio of all time. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I had the choice between more flags or more H&A wins in a decade, I'd take the flags thanks.

Who wouldn't but it'd be disingenuous to deny that the decade is divided in 2 halves.

Pre compromised drafts (2007 - 2011)
Post compromised drafts (2012 - 2016)

The latter half of the era being detrimentally impacted by a diluted talent pool. Getting no argument from me about the number of wins in this last decade being not as impressive as in previous eras, the same goes for flags too even more so I'd argue.

If I had the choice between more flags or more H&A wins in a decade, I'd take the flags thanks.
Yes, any normal person would accept this...but seems there's a certain type of nuffy Geelong supporter which can't.
It must sting these supporters knowing the "greatest team of all" with all that H&A dominance over that period not only failed to catch up to a great rival in premierships but actually fell further behind.:$

Yes, any normal person would accept this...but seems there's a certain type of nuffy Geelong supporter which can't.
It must sting these supporters knowing the "greatest team of all" with all that H&A dominance over that period not only failed to catch up to a great rival in premierships but actually fell further behind.:$
Nobody will deny 4 premierships by the Hawks gives them the absolute ascendency. Simple fact. Just as nobody will dispute that the end game is winning premierships.

Cats need to snare another one. But this does not mean the Cats' H&A record is irrelevant or to be dismissed.

Well done King Cold seem to have triggered a few Hawks fans (the ones that haven't jumped off already). Keep going hk89 this is amusing :)

Actually I think some of the best bites in this thread have come from Geelong supporters...somehow. Thread has resulted in riling up Geelong fans more than anyone else.

Translation:

'Nothing means anything. If I want, I can make Bradman's average meaningless because he didn't face the West Indies pace bowling quartet. Nothing anyone does in any sphere of the game will ever match up to an existing record because of parameters I, personally, set. A record for home and away wins doesn't count. Why? Well even though the record is for home and away wins, it should be measured against premierships. In the same way that a record for number one singles should be discounted because the record holder didn't stage the biggest concerts of all time. Also, because I set the parameters at 4 and 5 premierships to suit my argument, 3 is a number that doesn't count. Winning 3 grand finals in 5 years doesn't prove that you can play well when it counts. It's tantamount to winning 0 grand finals. Only 4 or 5 will suffice.'

Doesn't matter mate. We play in a boutique stadium in front of the smallest non-expansion crowds in the comp, almost exclusively (Sydney the exception) against teams we've owned for a decade anyway, and play other teams on their own home ground, while the oh so taxing 'trip' to ours is a short drive down the road - we obviously have an advantage that is the footballing equivalent of India playing cricket at home.

Mate - you go for Carlton. The biggest ******* rabble in the AFL and have been for over a decade.. You should keep your mouth shut and back away from the keyboard. Your club somehow manages to offload any talent it managed to recruit to other clubs where they turn into A-graders... What does that say about your ability to develop talent and a winning culture? It's shit. GTFO

Not surprising really, given the amount of true home games they get, a luxury not other Victorian sides and only a few non Victorian clubs get.
Geelong get 7 maybe 8 "true" home games a year, how many do Freo get? The Dockers play in Perth 12 times per year! Our first home game this year is in Round 9 FFS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong break record for most wins in a decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back