Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said in the game day thread, reminded me of the Adelaide game in that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, with player copping injuries left and right, easy chances going begging, a probable suspension to Selwood, mental weaknesses exposed...and that's without even mentioning the four points lost.

An utter disaster from start to finish.
We started really well but only kicked one goal. Holmes missed an easy goal which would have put us 2 goals up in 2 minutes. Then we went missing.

Not a disaster. A late season loss isn’t a disaster for a potential premier.

Unless you’re Brisbane of 2001 or Richmond of 2019, it’s pretty damn hard to win a flag on a 12+ game winning streak.

That could be a school of thought. Geelong was atrocious tonight, and this performance should resonate within the group to make amends, and it will be fresh in their minds for a long time. GWS now has beaten Geelong three times in the last four games as well, and they just were as up for the game as anyone. Probably a bit 'out of the arse' to be honest, any bets that those debutants won't even see the footy against Richmond when they play next week.

As for Geelong, Smith and Atkins missing from the backline was noticeable to the extreme, never looked settled there, and i think they said the Giants had 8 stoppage goals against the Cats tonight. Cameron back whenever he can return will be a huge in, but Danger will likely miss a while....throat injuries are nasty, as Simon Madden almost ended the career of Gareth John with a knee to the larynx in 1991. Touhy out with a hammy, hopefully he might be back for Finals and be fresh for them. But tonight was ugly as, and even me a fat 53 y/o probably would have got closer to a goal than Clark's indescribable miss. That was momentum-killing, the Giants answered twice after that and never looked like losing.

Probably as bad as the loss to Carlton last year, but it should be the massive sting to the whole club, and the players now have something to really get their goats up against and focus on what they need to do. But unless Geelong beat the Dees in Rd 23, 3rd is as best they may get, and the Swans are looking ominous looking for sides above them to have a slip-up.

Could hardly imagine a worse night. Injuries to key players and depth personnel who would look out of place in a kiddies pool. Not sure you can just say ‘move on’ after this one. Might have to play Sav again if Rohan is out, Smith in for Danger, Henderson for Kruger, O’Connor for 2E and Atkins perhaps up forward as Close needs a rest. Nice to see Kolo finally get a goal!

I didn't mind Kreuger. I love his long penetrating kicks. I think he looks a real promising player. We sorely lack athletic tall defenders who have a racking 55 metre boot on them.
He was shown up in a few contests but for a second gamer, he is definitely worth persisting with.

I think Kreuger has a future but maybe not this year heading into finals.

One thing he has to learn is how to stick a tackle and to stay on your feet.
Seemed to spend more time on his arse than upright tonight.

Our forward line is a dysfunctional mess, it has become a hallmark of our season, even with our preferred players in there. We controlled the first 15 minutes of tonights game after Kolo's goal, and before injuries, and should've been able to put them under scoreboard pressure from there. Instead we continue to bomb it going inside 50, with no clear structure or plan, and hope that simply by virtue of having a high volume of inside 50's we will kick a winning score. This is why we have developed a habit of keeping teams in it: we arent efficient inside 50. Outside of a couple of games it has been the most glaring issue of our season. And those couple of games have been when we have played a radically different game style to how we normally play.

Teams that outnumber us around the contest and beat us in the clearances we still simply have no counter to, despite it being the blueprint for success against Geelong since 2017-18. By doing that you take away the high volume of inside 50's and we cant make the most of the remaining chances we do get.

2 big weeks coming up against good opposition with a lot of injuries to worry about.

Silver lining is we found out about a number of fringe players tonight: Clark, Narkle, Zuthrie, Sav really shouldnt play again this year injuries depending. Dahl, Higgins, Parfitt are on the cusp now but it's hard to see them go out of the team with the injuries we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So then what? Kick it to grass 10m in front of him?
We had zero other forward threats and he's constantly keeping behind his opponent.
What are the ball carriers, who are under pressure, meant to do then?
what Bartell said last time they played KP, pull in the last kick, get it 60m out then enter.

Iv been defending Clark for the pass 18 months in regard playing him, and also to play him of the back flank. But after tonight's game, I think I could be wrong... he needs a big kick up his arse in work rate and everything....

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back