Review Geelong defeats Lions by 85 points

Remove this Banner Ad

After last weeks game that resembled trench warfare, last night was exactly what we needed.

A less intense game that was never in doubt, the skipper gets to ease himself back into it, a few lesser lights get to contribute in a meaningful way to build confidence, we get some more games into the rookies and sselwood, Menzel, cocky get another week of rest.

The last thing we needed after the gws game was another bloodbath.

On the back of a week of recovery in the sun on the GC, and a reasonably soft hit out against the bears we now head back to Corio refreshed and ready to hit the business end of the season hard. Perfect.

We will be up for this....
Their midfield consists of Mitchell aaaaand.........Langford :$ and 2 of their best 3 forwards ( Gunston & Sicily ) spend most of their time down back these days

Hodge is fat, Burgoyne is nudging 50, and if things do get close, there's always Ishank Smith to choke it up at a crucial stage

Confident about this week
Cats by 30points
I'll be there. First game for the year.

I've decided the best indication of our performance is how slowly the after match thread builds. The negative nancy naysayers run and hide and therefore people don't feel compelled to highlight there incompetent dreary drivel. As such we have a slowly building, rather enjoyable topic that actually provides some meaningful insight. Almost more enjoyable than the win ;). GO CATTERS!!!

I've decided the best indication of our performance is how slowly the after match thread builds. The negative nancy naysayers run and hide and therefore people don't feel compelled to highlight there incompetent dreary drivel. As such we have a slowly building, rather enjoyable topic that actually provides some meaningful insight. Almost more enjoyable than the win ;). GO CATTERS!!!

Agreed but one who tends to cop a fair bit of it, biggy, was actually really good in the game day thread.
The "others" however won't be seen until Thursday.

So she stil loves you?
My wife wants me out of the house at every available moment.....footy season is her godsend ;)
[Umm no, she does not like me very much at all].

Anyway back on topic, my main concern with the game is "fatboy, good bloke's" 300 and a) how that might lift his team-mates and b) what he might be prepared to do to win.

If you only listened to the fox footy commentary you'd be forgiven for thinking it was an intraclub match with only Zoeko and Hipwood playing.
Who was that commentator? He highlighted every free Brisbane didn't get, and was so begrudging of Geelong's win that he kept saying 'they wouldn't be able to do this against a better team'. You could feel his need to downplay our victory.

Who was that commentator? He highlighted every free Brisbane didn't get, and was so begrudging of Geelong's win that he kept saying 'they wouldn't be able to do this against a better team'. You could feel his need to downplay our victory.
I don't know what it is about the Cats, or if we are all just biased, but it does seem to me the commentariazis have downplayed us for years. Is there a running joke we don't know about?

Facts are in terms of winning %'s - team, players, coach - we are off the charts and ahead of the pack. Is the problem that we win too much? FIIK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh please.

I don't know what it is about the Cats, or if we are all just biased, but it does seem to me the commentariazis have downplayed us for years. Is there a running joke we don't know about?

Facts are in terms of winning %'s - team, players, coach - we are off the charts and ahead of the pack. Is the problem that we win too much? FIIK.
Um look at our finals record.

Um look at our finals record.
Woah hold on a minute there. You are not supposed to bring up facts that refute my argument.

But you make a fair point. Perhaps that stat can change this year, and next with GAS on board.

It's wide open this year and we are a chance. One thing in our favour is that Scott is coaching better, and he had better cos he needs to come up with an MCG plan or we might struggle again.

Stanley out for me. Regardless of what they do with Buzza.
Has average hands for a big man, often dropping marks he should take and his kicking at goal is average. Lacks mongrel and don't think we need 2 rucks against McEvoy. Smith H2H should be more than competitive.
I think he will go out also.

Not for the same reason (thought he played ok and did his bit) but for balance.

Taylor will stay back now. Buzza as the second tall forward (at least one or two more games). Menzel back in a replacing Stanley (Blicavs/Buzza second ruck) or Cockatoo if Menzel still not right.

[Umm no, she does not like me very much at all].

Anyway back on topic, my main concern with the game is "fatboy, good bloke's" 300 and a) how that might lift his team-mates and b) what he might be prepared to do to win.
Don't sweat it.
Fatty is more of a liability than a motivation these days

When did Hawthorn beat GWS?
Won 2 points...
But I can never take them lightly. They have not much to play for , perhaps, but will want some revenge for that early form /debacle against us, and they are playing better footy.

Have to thank Brisbane for bringing zero intensity so that we could round off our holiday without any bruises.

Two things stood out last night. Z Guthrie is miles out of his depth. I see no reason to be playing him.

Blicavs has lifted. Hugely. He's taking a lot of marks at important spots. Yes he is sometimes mismatched. But I put that down to his running effort in that he's able to go with a mid and out mark him.

Maybe the negative naysayers are enjoying the win? I post a lot more negativity on bigfooty when we lose because it's how I vent. (Fiancée doesn't listen regardless, so no venting there)..When we win I enjoy the moment and show my boy the replays. Having said that, last night was a pisser on bigfooty and bigfarter should win post of the year with his Simpson meme.

Hahaha this match report just proves the running joke Re Zorko that everyone was banging on about

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/li...s/news-story/7a36c87cd3ea6945f18a97f99dcc2807

That report is just embarrassing:
Geelong cruised to a comfortable win over Brisbane on Saturday night at the Gabba, and the Lions weren’t embarrassed. They fought until the bitter end and produced a reasonable score in the circumstances

The Lions just conceded the highest score across the league in 2017 and their largest defeat for the season - I'd hate to see what the scoreline would have been if they didn't fight until he end.

Zorko finished with 36 disposals with 14 contested possessions, recording 10 clearances, 12 tackles and kicking a bag of four goals...
...Dangerfield wasn’t bad, of course. His side’s performance made it easier but he still produced 38 disposals with 23 of them contested, with nine clearances, nine inside 50s and three goals.

Geeez, any other week and the media & commentators would be falling all over themselves with the numbers that Danger produced. Zorko was good, but not sure he was 3 votes good when you look at the game overall and the impact that Danger had. I know that Zorko kicked 1 more goal and had more tackles, but Danger had 4 goal assists compared 1 and Danger also spent 8% less time on ground.

It seems that pre-match expectation is influencing the view of the match and players involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Lions by 85 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back