Review Geelong defeats Melbourne by 3 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The way Gawn approaches the kick leaves no other direction the ball can go. Ran in a rightward arc to right of right hand goal post meant he had to kick across his body, the ball just followed this trajectory

Perhaps it's just me, but on TV he looked dead on + I thought because his legs were lead, he shanked it, due to exhaustion.

Thanks for explaining that Boxhead, will look more closely, when I watch the replay.

Dees supporter here. No doubt that loss hurts but to be honest you guys deserved it. We didn't come with much defensive pressure in the first half, especially the 2nd quarter and that cost us. I think what hurts even more is that the guy that won the game for you, Menzel, is a guy your coaches didn't even want when he is definitely your most dangerous forward and has been ever since his return from his knee injuries. I'm pretty sure he kicked 5 goals against us last time also. Hawkins is not too difficult to quell as he is a bit slow off the mark so if the ball isn't delivered to him perfectly from the midfield then he'll find it tough but Menzel is so crafty. Not sure why Geelong didn't want him and even more surprised that other clubs didn't want him? Baffling!

I thought Selwood was great, Ablett's 39 was equivalent to probably a normal 25 possession game as he wasn't too damaging and went sideways a lot but he'll only get more influential. I don't think Petracca should have been named in the votes. He missed 3 shots on goal, 2 of which he probably should have kicked.
Lever was totally exposed 1 on 1 which is bloody scary considering what we gave up for him. Nonetheless, my votes would be:

5. Menzel
4. Gawn
3. Selwood
2. Oliver
1. Murdoch

AFLCA Votes:
Melbourne vs Geelong

Max Gawn
6. Gary Ablett
5. Daniel Menzel
5. Joel Selwood
4. Christian Petracca
1. Clayton Olvier

Well, how interesting :huh:

Legend - Player Statistics.png
Rd1 - Gawn.png
Rd1 - Ablett-Selwood.png
Still :huh:

LEADERBOARD
10 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
10 Lance Franklin (Syd)
10 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
10 Jack Steven (StK)
9 Jeremy Cameron (GWS)
9 Max Gawn (Melb)
8 Darcy Byrne-Jones (PA)
8 Brad Ebert (PA)
8 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
7 Blake Acres (StK)
7 Jarrod Harbrow (GC)
7 Dustin Martin (Rich)
7 Luke Parker (Syd)
7 Aaron Young (GC)

Dees supporter here. No doubt that loss hurts but to be honest you guys deserved it. We didn't come with much defensive pressure in the first half, especially the 2nd quarter and that cost us. I think what hurts even more is that the guy that won the game for you, Menzel, is a guy your coaches didn't even want when he is definitely your most dangerous forward and has been ever since his return from his knee injuries. I'm pretty sure he kicked 5 goals against us last time also. Hawkins is not too difficult to quell as he is a bit slow off the mark so if the ball isn't delivered to him perfectly from the midfield then he'll find it tough but Menzel is so crafty. Not sure why Geelong didn't want him and even more surprised that other clubs didn't want him? Baffling!

I thought Selwood was great, Ablett's 39 was equivalent to probably a normal 25 possession game as he wasn't too damaging and went sideways a lot but he'll only get more influential. I don't think Petracca should have been named in the votes. He missed 3 shots on goal, 2 of which he probably should have kicked.
Lever was totally exposed 1 on 1 which is bloody scary considering what we gave up for him. Nonetheless, my votes would be:

5. Menzel
4. Gawn
3. Selwood
2. Oliver
1. Murdoch

I definitely wouldn’t say our coaches ‘didn’t want’ Menzel. They could only offer him a one year contract, which is more than reasonable for a bloke that has had four knee reconstructions. They did the right thing by Menzel by letting him explore his options and potentially earn a longer contract.

I definitely wouldn’t say our coaches ‘didn’t want’ Menzel. They could only offer him a one year contract, which is more than reasonable for a bloke that has had four knee reconstructions. They did the right thing by Menzel by letting him explore his options and potentially earn a longer contract.

nobody has reported this story correctly; talking footy this week is a prime example

I'm fairly sure Ch7 producers have instructed BT to call the way he does to increase general discussion/debate about the show/channel. "The only bad news is no news" or simply clickbait. Look who he used to be paired with, not particularly Mr. Personalities. Look how many 'anti-heroes' there are out there in media and sports. 'It gets their dollars up' and it makes me puke.
The other option since the AFL and its media remoras are hellbent on 'enhancing the experience', and won't be treating the fans as adults, is having a broadcast team of Ling, Watson, and Darcy. :eek:How's that for 2 and a half hours of emptiness.
The broadcast really have to become more professional or give options for adults.
Sorry to go off on a media tangent.:shoutyoldman:

I reckon Ch7 producers are hellbent on pandering to the lowest common denominator of the AFL audience.

Due to the significantly higher probability that the biggest part of that audience is ignorant + idiotic.

nobody has reported this story correctly; talking footy this week is a prime example
I saw 2 football programs say we had him on the trade table, which is complete rubbish. We offered him a contract and he chose to look around for a better offer, which he didn't receive.

You'd think they could at least get their facts straight.

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+IcNaOsU7vf-l.jpg

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+MoEROev6wRAl.jpg

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+-H3EUlJbW3Dl.jpg

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+uZ8di0osxxpl.jpg

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+keUfoYU1aP8l.jpg

Is Selwood's upward look a quick prayer?

Beginning with the debuting Kittens - Fogarty, Kelly, Ratugolea

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+e2tiZqvVlhpl.jpg

Ratcat :hearteyecat:

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+XnpZpJVh8zGl.jpg

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+-sAQPWUHVRil.jpg

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+PsVFxtfGLq4l.jpg

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+B1RH6d8xNtAl.jpg

Kelly manages to handball, while Neal-Bullen attempts to tackle him.

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+rJ6p4p543ell.jpg

Kelly manages to handball, despite being under so much pressure.

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+5n4szg2sXQFl.jpg

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+-xyFuRtzV0ql.jpg

Ratugolea's First Goal in the Hoops

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+4rQuKQn4CL3l.jpg

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+ud8JuH-CMWVl.jpg

Fogarty's First Goal in the Hoops

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+dlTewLpSM4Wl.jpg

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+f_L8mbJLc8fl.jpg

Will add more photos of Fogarty as I find them.

Debutantes' Guernsey Presentation
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2018-03-25/rd1-debutants-jumper-presentation.mobileapp

The Monday Message: Round 1 - Kittens almost stole the show

I saw 2 football programs say we had him on the trade table, which is complete rubbish. We offered him a contract and he chose to look around for a better offer, which he didn't receive.

You'd think they could at least get their facts straight.
Its actually mind boggling how the content produced by media types on big salaries with budgets and full Champion Data access is so low effort.

Meanwhile online hobby types like Ryan Buckland, Figuring Footy, the Arc or HPN do more with the publicly available stats and their free time.

Hard not to feel that its the consequence of only wanting former footballers to serve as voices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+IcNaOsU7vf-l.jpg

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+MoEROev6wRAl.jpg

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+-H3EUlJbW3Dl.jpg

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+uZ8di0osxxpl.jpg

AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+keUfoYU1aP8l.jpg

Is Selwood's upward look a quick prayer?

Beginning with the debuting Kittens - Fogarty, Kelly, Ratugolea

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+e2tiZqvVlhpl.jpg

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+XnpZpJVh8zGl.jpg

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+-sAQPWUHVRil.jpg

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+PsVFxtfGLq4l.jpg

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+B1RH6d8xNtAl.jpg

Kelly manages to handball, while Neal-Bullen attempts to tackle him.

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+rJ6p4p543ell.jpg

Kelly manages to handball, despite being under so much pressure.

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+5n4szg2sXQFl.jpg

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+-xyFuRtzV0ql.jpg

Ratugolea's First Goal in the Hoops

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+4rQuKQn4CL3l.jpg

Tim+Kelly+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+ud8JuH-CMWVl.jpg

Fogarty's First Goal in the Hoops

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+dlTewLpSM4Wl.jpg

Esava+Ratugolea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+vs+Geelong+f_L8mbJLc8fl.jpg

Will add more photos of Fogarty as I find them.

Debutantes' Guernsey Presentation
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2018-03-25/rd1-debutants-jumper-presentation.mobileapp

The Monday Message: Round 1 - Kittens almost stole the show
Thanks for those photos. I noted that in the team warm up that Gary spent the entire time with Tim Kelly-handballing, kicking, that low pick up they do.

I reckon Ch7 producers are hellbent on pandering to the lowest common denominator of the AFL audience.

Due to the significantly higher probability that the biggest part of that audience is ignorant + idiotic.

Not just channel seven though, Foxtel do a pretty good job as well, "Bounce" would have to be one of the most cringe worthy shows on air.

He’s not pleasing anyone with that mop.
Do you honestly believe that to be the case? Men having long hair goes back thousands of years, going in and out of fashion periodically. Certainly among young people its a perfectly common choice and many do regard it as attractive.

But what I don't understand is why people want Guthrie to try and woo them personally with his grooming. Doesn't seem important to me...

Do you honestly believe that to be the case? Men having long hair goes back thousands of years, going in and out of fashion periodically. Certainly among young people its a perfectly common choice and many do regard it as attractive.

But what I don't understand is why people want Guthrie to try and woo them personally with his grooming. Doesn't seem important to me...
I keep saying - it is to disguise the fact that he has quite a large head.

This is not quite the right thread but rather than start another one. Is anyone able to explain the rule about One player with head over ball and opposition player runs into him, usually falling over as a result. Last Sunday we had a free kicked paid against us being the one with the head over the ball yet tonight Adelaide player with head over the ball gets free kick after Richmond player runs into him. Looks exactly the same but different outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Melbourne by 3 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back