Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

100%. And they are both capable of this football. Then they have their games or moments that are dire to watch - the back half of 2023 there was a lot of that. But it's silly to give up on them. If they play like this all season they genuinely make us a better side. And despite Tuohy's late goal, I still think the onus should be on MOC to actually displace him from the side (role-wise) and someone like Bowes/Mannagh starts.
Tuohy should be rotated, need kittens to get more games for experience + development.

Watching the game there were a lot of positives and I don’t think being a contender is completely out of the question but there are some pretty big issues that need to be resolved. The biggest positive is we are holding our own with clearances which we weren’t doing last season.

On the flip side of the above there’s been a noticeable decline in delivery inside 50. It started last year with Selwood and Guthrie (injured) and it’s exacerbated by Isaac Smith also retiring. Having O’Connor, Bruhn, and Clark as replacements simply doesn’t give the same service.

Getting the ball in the hands of Miers and Holmes like we have is a step in the right direction, Guthrie returning will know doubt help a bunch, but I really think we should consider Knevitt or perhaps Rohan on the wing instead of O’Connor. I think we can afford to trade the defensive support O’Connor brings for better delivery.

I was waiting for my mate from 6.05 to 7.15 so know both Gate 8 and the Moorabool St gate nearby were overloaded during that time, as was Bob Davis entrance where the main disability access is. Problem is, to ease the pressure, they allow able bodied people to use it. When Gate 8 staff realised the queue reached back to the members entrance, they ditched the bag check. They did open a side gates late, with one scanner, which quickly developed queues. Didn't help waiting patrons it was hot I suppose.
Ideally yes, get there early, but hopefully not all together, with 40k entry times are best staggered?
I still suspect it's a budgetary issue- access needs to be easier and safer, open more gates, hire more staff.
Or at least direct patrons to other gates, like yours, as they do at the MCG.

I wonder how many attending are defaulting to using the Bob Davis or Bernie Smith gates as that's what they've become used to or ingrained with over recent years - especially during the construction?

The Bernie Smith gate would be the smallest of the 3 main gates, and people in both the Players & Hickey Stand use that as their default option

I know there's no dedicated gate on the Hickey side, but no reason those folks couldn't make use of Gate 1 as well as Gate 5

And we're really not that big of a stadium that you can't walk a bit too another gate and walk back to your seat

Re the Stengle talk I know he struggled, but a Ross Lyon game is about the worst possible situation for him, isn't a high flyer or big marking player. Needs to graft and zip for opportunities and there just was zero space inside 50 to work. I thought he actually looked lively in our practice match so I'm optimistic that he'll be better than he was last season and still create plenty of headaches this year

Re the Stengle talk I know he struggled, but a Ross Lyon game is about the worst possible situation for him, isn't a high flyer or big marking player. Needs to graft and zip for opportunities and there just was zero space inside 50 to work. I thought he actually looked lively in our practice match so I'm optimistic that he'll be better than he was last season and still create plenty of headaches this year

Ross should be charged by the AFL for 'conduct unbecoming' with his coaching.

Fun night at the new look ground, some bright points for us, especially Shaun getting a run and a few touches. We christened Dempsey The Ghost- apart from popping up for goals, looking down the ground he was free so many times without receiving. Seems to have a great knack of finding space.

To rain on the parade, if GFC are going to cater for a crowd of 40k going forward, they need to employ more gate staff. The queues were absolutely horrendous at every entrance. Lots of oldies in the heat of the moment saying never coming again.

Same as the team, improvement needed.

You've been quoted on X by a lurking Saints fan... 😂

If SDK continues this form against Tex Walker next week... 😬
SDK had his face brutally smashed causing a nasal + maxillary bone fracture. Upper jaw bone breaks result in facial instability. His face was mush, he had nerve damage, said he “couldn't feel half my face”.

Many people have little understanding of the extent of SDK’s injury + loss of confidence from such a horrific injury. While been 10 months, I still think he needs time to recover his confidence + I hope he has support from a sport psychologist.

Let’s be patient, we saw how phenomenal he was in 2022. Last year many players underperformed.

PS Not focusing on you Baudolino, for everyone questioning SDK’s form 😊

Last edited:
This side is showing more and more each day, that our rebuild is actually going quite well, and it's stealthily happening away from the public eye.

All of these players will likely be gone by the end of next year:

Danger, Rohan, Duncan, Bews, Parfitt, Tuohy, Stanley, Hawkins

I reckon Guthrie still has another year after next year in him, likewise Blics and Jez, and then Stewart is here until 2027.

So by 2027, the only players over 30 will be Stewart, Kolo, and Atkins.

We keep unearthing players like Dempsey, and it's actually crazy just how much they're adding. Lawson is another one who I think will play AFL footy this year, such is his talent, skill off both feet, and work ethic. Also a mature age body again.

If Knevitt can up the anti this year, alongside Mullin and Conway, and then guys like Willis, O'Sullivan and Stevens can show their wares, then all of a sudden we're back to trading in established talent and competing at the pointy end again - much to the chagrin of oppo supporters.

Dempsey, Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, SDK, S. Neale, O. Henry, J. Henry, Close, Stengle, Miers, Mannagh, Zuthrie, Mullin, all played tonight or listed as emergencies, who all look to be in our future plans. Add Bowes who has looked amazing this PS, Knevitt, Conway, and maybe Humphries and O'Sullivan, and it's not a bad core of 26 and under players to build around - especially for a recent flag winning side who was the oldest in history at the time.
Duncan and Bews will go on... Hard to see Dangerfield going, unless you have someone else stepping up to that level, and don't see that yet in our squad.

Our forward line looks stacked with some talent, particularly small/medium types. I could see us trading one of the lesser likes as part of a deal for a superstar mid if the trading arrangements come up.

Sure. I would say my definition of prolific is different to mine. I think his game probably met the minimum benchmark expectes for the average full time midfielder. That's a jump from last year. Overall I think our midfield is bad 👎

Can't think of a comparison for Bruhn. I don't see much in common with Marc Murphy who was a very under rated player.

Dempsey reminds me of Fyfe when flying for the ball. Not sure about the rest of his game.
Bruhn is like Shaun Higgins. Can use both sides, pacey enough, similar build, plays very similar. Except we had the openings in the midfield and has been thrusted there, Higgins on the other hand played most of his career as a small forward, but went into the midfield much later in his career.

hahaha classic Well done Cats admin :thumbsu:

That was crazy that Miers was adjudged to be in the wrong there. Anyone around the stoppage could have stepped on it and done their ankle. If the ruckman is going to carry it around and drop it on the ground like that they should force him off to the sideline like an injury in soccer until he puts the boot back on.

Bruhn faded in the last even after being on the ground less. Could be fitness or could be because he was sore. I guess we will know next week

If he could play effectively outside of the midfield it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
Clark faded at half time 😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was crazy that Miers was adjudged to be in the wrong there. Anyone around the stoppage could have stepped on it and done their ankle. If the ruckman is going to carry it around and drop it on the ground like that they should force him off to the sideline like an injury in soccer until he puts the boot back on.
Umpire stopped play instead so he can put his shoe back on! Never seen that before.

Umpire stopped play instead so he can put his shoe back on! Never seen that before.

Yeah and the umpire said that the only reason he stopped the play is because Miers threw it away. One of the commentators said they got a text from an ex umpire that said he should have paid a free against Miers! Issue 100% created by the Saints player.

Forgot to add ... I think id have had Mannagh on earlier. Probably would have taken Stengle or OHenry off in the 3rd. OHenry could have had 3 goals if he was dialed in, looks like his kicking at goal needs a tidy up again. Stengle is a bit of a concern. Is it coincidental that he has never been the same player since Eddie has departed? He needs to find something quickly or he will be playing 2's
I wanted Mannagh on for Clark mid-way through the 3rd quarter... But I suppose it was smarter to wait as Stengle came off later anyway.
Wilson will be a gun. Such a good pick, will be similar to Holmes, but probably will have more goal sense. They went around the same draft pick too...
Bruhn’s footwork has improved out of sight, one he hits open space he starts to glide

O.Henry did a bunch of work off the ball, blocks and the like. Dropped a few marks that could have made his night look better on paper. 3rd talls zone off him too much.

Clark physicality was great but he is a long way off. It is good for him to get an early taste.

Dempsey loves the improve. I think by the end of the year he’ll tighten the worst of it. And keep most of the best.

De Koning had a dirty night on 1 on 1s

Holmes as well
I thought Bruhn is looking more pacey from the stoppages now... Definitely Sam Mitchell type of pace to break away, but not only that he can kick both sides. He does rush his possessions from time to time, but I think that will improve with more game time.

Interesting to see whether they bring in Neale after an apparently good performance in the VFL and Scott's pre match comments? Not sure whether a forward line with Neale, Hawkins and Cameron can work?

Otherwise Bowes needs to come in if fit.

I'd be playing Mannagh for a full game and possibly either dropping Tuohy or at the very least making him the sub.

Changes will be interesting. If Stengle doesn't come up it makes it a little easier.
If there's a game they're going to trial it, it's next week.

The Crows don't have a single key defender of note, all 4 of our talls will get plenty of looks if we're moving the ball quickly and getting plenty of inside 50s like last night.

It'll be a very different looking game minus the RTB flood, expecting more of a shootout to be honest with both sides having plenty of scoring power and speed.

Mannagh should get a go next week. If we want to be kind and 'manage' Reg, then so be it.

Stengle should be okay, it was just cramp after all, but I could see us resting him purely to get a game into Mannagh who looked a class above everytime he's come on the ground.

Bowes will play, the question is for who?

Bruhn & Clark where mighty impressive, as was Danger, and we won't be dropping Blitz or Axe.

Outside of Touhy, I can't really think of anybody who we could justify as an out this week, which is a good problem to have.

Can't help but echo the praise from others regarding our mids. Bruhn, Holmes, Danger and Atkins comfortably won the midfield battle despite all having less than 25 touches each, which really goes to highlight the impact they had with their possessions. It's obviously not the best midfield out there on paper, but I feel the coaching staff have really drilled the importance of smart ball use into our next generation of mids. That sort of approach will hold us in much better stead going forward than chaos footy rubbish.

Still think our backline looks vulnerable when the ball hits the deck. Tuohy's decline over the past 12 months (along with Bews being forced out of the side perhaps) has hurt us in that regard as he was so good at plugging space on the outside of contests. Hopefully we begin to develop Mullin here by getting 12+ games into him over 2024.

After being on the wrong end of a few close ones last year, it was nice to see how we responded when St Kilda threw down the challenge (early in the last quarter and again in the final two minutes). I don't think 2023 Geelong ends up winning that game. The difference in maturity amongst our younger players compared to mid-last year was evident.

That's how I saw it too. The timidness of last year was gone, he just wasn't clunking the marks and was fumbly.
I saw Ollie Dempsey's interview, and he identified how good DK was as well. It's easy to make judgements as supporters, but the players definitely know who's helping them on the field.

SDK had his face brutally smashed causing a nasal + maxillary bone fracture. Upper jaw bone breaks result in facial instability. His face was mush, he had nerve damage, said he “couldn't feel half my face”.

Many people have little understanding of the extent of SDK’s injury + loss of confidence from such a horrific injury. While been 10 months, I still think he needs time to recover his confidence + I hope he has support from a sport psychologist.

Let’s be patient, we saw how phenomenal he was in 2022. Last year many players underperformed.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/geelong-defeats-saints-by-8-points.1378209/post-82702021 091C4C00-0E01-479F-AC6C-39BAC1B9CF7E.jpeg

This won't make people happy, but I think Clark is a big chance to be outright dropped for the Adelaide game. Tight selection squeeze is on and Bowes needs to come in for someone. Clark had only 13 disposals as a midfielder and they would surely prefer a more senior body against Laird, Crouch, Dawson and co who can play significant minutes. Clark was given only 59% TOG last night.

If there's a game they're going to trial it, it's next week.

The Crows don't have a single key defender of note, all 4 of our talls will get plenty of looks if we're moving the ball quickly and getting plenty of inside 50s like last night.

It'll be a very different looking game minus the RTB flood, expecting more of a shootout to be honest with both sides having plenty of scoring power and speed.

Mannagh should get a go next week. If we want to be kind and 'manage' Reg, then so be it.

Stengle should be okay, it was just cramp after all, but I could see us resting him purely to get a game into Mannagh who looked a class above everytime he's come on the ground.

Bowes will play, the question is for who?

Bruhn & Clark where mighty impressive, as was Danger, and we won't be dropping Blitz or Axe.

Outside of Touhy, I can't really think of anybody who we could justify as an out this week, which is a good problem to have.
Clark.

Be aware that Bruhn missed a lot of the first quarter with the head knock and still racked up 20.
On a night where the most touches on the ground where 28 too.

If he stays on the ground, he would have been every chance to be the most productive player out there.

If anybody is still being critical of Bruhn, they're set in their ways from 12 months ago and refusing to admit they where wrong.

It's going to happen a lot with how many kids we're playing and how many are knocking on the door too.

I know we haven't done that for so long that many have forgotten what it looks like, but improvement with young players isn't always an even trajectory.

There's going to be bumps in the road, but the signs are there for all of them.

Loved Dangers goal, and most importantly, loved the reaction of the team to it. A goal like that, a captains goal, to win the match, inspires young players. It literally could set the fortunes of a season up. There are so many intangibles from plays like that, which carry over to future games or even careers.

One that really stands out, was Heath Shaw's smother in 2010. Saved the Pies from losing the premiership, and allowed them to regroup and take that second chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back