Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

If they are playing 2 tall forwards it would be at the expense of one of Taylor or Henderson, and Blicavs would go back to defence

Still only 5 changes

If Stanley is available, not sure we'd play a dedicated 2nd tall forward, as Stanley is just as likely to take the centre bounce and then go forward to play the second tall role - something he was going prior to injury

It's an option, but i dont think we are hurt playing taller and keeping Hendo and Taylor down back. Blicavs loves the utility role he plays, moving him back to a key defensive role would be a bad call in my view. Part of the reason Hendo coming in made us look better (in my view) was that it freed up Blicavs and MOC to do more around the ground.

Stanley in my view doesnt offer us much up forward. When we saw Sav move forward in the last quarter we looked better tonight. Having a resting ruckman move down there throughout the game wont give us the same benefit as a stay at home 2nd forward. And it will do the same thing for Rohan and Dahl as bringing Hendo in did for Blitz and MOC, free them up to play further up the ground.

Last edited:
It does impact because we’ve had the same coach who has proven he fails when it counts, and tonight showed me that when the heat is on, we will do the same.
You need to call it a night and wake up with a clear head.

So given that at 100% of contests Richmond players stream attacking side of the ball and then they smash the ball forward to where those players are running, why have our coaches not changed our structure in contested ball situations to neutralize this? The number of times they had 2-5 players plus the ball goal side of us was embarrassing.

Atkins getting better every week. Last year's final v.s Collingwood when he had 19 possies and a million tackles seems on the cards again in the near future.

The team actually needs more players like him, which seems counterintuitive - but fewer "classy" players and more "workhorse" players like Atkins.

We haven't turned up in the 2nd last round of all our premiership years either. Just relax.

Sure is.

The last 7 years mean zip.

I did. We were poor, no intensity, important players missing and we played a totally different style than we have for the last 7 weeks. We looked tired at times and coming off a 5 day break wouldn't have helped. And it was 4 goals. We're a different side at the Gabba where clearances are more important. We dominated that stats tonight but were lacking some class and pressure up forward. Rohan and Ablett will help that. It also allows Danger to play the majority of the game in the midfield.

Not to mention players playing out of position for large chunks of the game.

it’s the lack of composure that bothers me. It spreads through the whole team. Doesn’t matter who’s playing.

We haven't turned up in the 2nd last round of all our premiership years either. Just relax.

Sure is.

The last 7 years mean zip.

I did. We were poor, no intensity, important players missing and we played a totally different style than we have for the last 7 weeks. We looked tired at times and coming off a 5 day break wouldn't have helped. And it was 4 goals. We're a different side at the Gabba where clearances are more important. We dominated that stats tonight but were lacking some class and pressure up forward. Rohan and Ablett will help that. It also allows Danger to play the majority of the game in the midfield.

Not to mention players playing out of position for large chunks of the game.

I’m relaxed. It’s interesting that you say “we haven’t turned up in the 2nd last round of all our premiership years” and then go on to say “the last 7 years mean zip”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selwood and Ablett make us slower but harder and more skilled. Not sure how that nets out against Richmond.

They are still very good at handling pressure and that's a must have in finals.
I am a little worried the coach will keep playing a few guys who have shown they're not ready for it and on the eve of the final, he will make sudden changes.
If Narkle has been good to go for a few weeks now, bring him in for Fogarty or Close next game.
Constable is another I would play ahead of Atkins who can play a similar role and has the size to match it with mature bodies.

Esava holding marks was a positive, but his disposal is still terrible.

Tigers very good side, and still the benchmark. The way they zone up is perfect. Pushed the zone right up into our back 50 around the 40 metre mark all night, basically wrecking our "get out of defence plan".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are still very good at handling pressure and that's a must have in finals.
I am a little worried the coach will keep playing a few guys who have shown they're not ready for it and on the eve of the final, he will make sudden changes.
If Narkle has been good to go for a few weeks now, bring him in for Fogarty or Close next game.
Constable is another I would play ahead of Atkins who can play a similar role and has the size to match it with mature bodies.
Atkins was one of our best and one of the few who stood up to the pressure.

Apply heat will wilt. Limit the cats time on the ball and we are not much chop. It’s been like that for 5 years. Kicks to Tommy over and over agin. Triple teamed and still dumb kicks looking for Tommy.
One goal to 3/4 time. We are a woeful scoring team in the games that matter! Slow chip easy to set up behind the ball.
Poor performance!

Feel bad writing this because it’s not really fair but thought whoever played on the first gamer controlled the game from their defence, whether that be Grimes or Vlaustin. Kicking inside fifty was absolutely horrendous though so that didn’t help.
Richmond set up defensively better than anyone else and our slow ball movement plays into their hands every time!

Need to move it faster like we did for about 5 min in the last where we kicked 3 goals.

Lets give jenkins more than 1 game .... plus lets play Jenkins in his natural habitat in the forward, not in the ruck....
Lets give sav more then 1 qtr in his natural habitat as a foward. He is the best overhead mark in the side. Jenkins is not a good overhead mark. Was a good player on the lead but is now slower. I really think he is past it. Crows fans said the same thing last year. He is in his thirties.

Portents. Pre-finals tension.

Rd 21 2007, we play Port Adelaide at KP and go on to lose for the first time in 15 weeks.
But it mattered not one jot when we faced them again in the 2007 GF at the MCG.
We'd been missing a couple of key players.
One of whom was Joel Selwood, missing tonight.

Rd 17 2008, we play Hawthorn for the first time since we'd turned that corner in 2007.

We'd beaten our previous 5 opponents that year by 10+ goals apiece - but we could only hold out a threatening Hawthorn team by 11 points - and they then knew they could beat us after that effort.

Rd 24 2011; in what was effectively a dead rubber, Malthouse's Collingwood looked somewhat non-committal in their approach, and we got more and more ruthless as the game progressed.
The result arguably gave us a psychological edge as a tight 2011 GF played out.

And so tonight, another of these pre-finals meetings, pregnant with portent, played out.

Richmond's messy, chaotic style is the antithesis of Chris Scott's more methodical approach, and we have proof that Hardwick's brand stands up at the pointy end. When push came to shove in last year's Prelim we were simply bullied out of it.

Hub Times, we've looked a more organised, well-rounded team - at a deeper stage in the season - than last year's model.

But Richmond was always going to be the test, and tonight against the reigning Premiers our players that had looked so assured, so untroubled by past failures, revealed the fragility that lies behind the mask. A collective ill-temper settled upon the team as it became apparent that we were out-gunned.

Henderson and Taylor looked dangerously ill-equipped to handle their KF opponents; in the cold light of defeat they have been tapering for weeks.

Guthrie and Menegola were ok-ish - but neither looked remotely capable of putting the match back on our terms.

Most troubling was Patrick Dangerfield's weirdly innocuous, pedestrian night. He wasn't terrible, but he always seemed to be where the action wasn't.

Silver lining on a sobering night?

Rhys Stanley, Joel Selwood, Gary Ablett all to return.

Gary '10 touches, please' Rohan to add an extra dimension to the forward line.
The option of going Full Nuclear Crazy Scotty and bringing in Nakia Cockatoo.

As to tonight's participants;

I've been an advocate of Esava Ratugolea's for quite a while now.
I am also always happy to concede that, as a sub-50 game KF he puts in some absolute stinkers. There is a chasm between his best and worst games.
Tonight though, in a clear audition for the 2nd ruck role, Ratugolea put all of his talent on display with an inspiring mix of contested marks, nimble ground ball work and the odd hit-out. Converted two set shots too, though hardly convincingly.

Overall, top shelf; I'm on record as far back as last year in saying that the club really needs to get him signed up to a loooong term contract asap.
There's not many players that can do what he can do; imo it is worth putting up with his poor games because he can be a match-winner on his day in the near future I reckon.

Brandan Parfitt regularly outsmarts his opponent only to outsmart himself with muddled decision-making.
Parfitt hows great anticipation, reflexes and hand-eye coordination to gain possession in traffic, often beating his first opponent with a step or a shimmy ... then often beats a second opponent with a fend or a balk .. then gets caught or smothered.

Has a lot of talent, I see him as a potential future captain of the club if he sticks around, but he needs to sort out his peripheral vision.

Like Ratugolea and Parfitt, I enjoyed watching Jack Henry show what he had against quality opposition in a big game. He's got 61 games against his name and is very much best 22; the question now is whether he can mature into the type of KD who can comfortably replace Lachie Henderson or Harry Taylor. He'll need help, especially if Blicavs is to be permanently re-deployed. He had his hands full tonight; made some mistakes but also pleasingly put his body on the line more than once to good effect. Gotta lock him away too.

Personally I see those 3 players and a one or two others as being the future around which the on-field club is built.

So; we will participate in the 2020 Finals series; whether we'll make any headway on previous year's thwarted assaults remains somewhat doubtful.
Suddenly the luxury of holding Joel Selwood back and being cautious with Rhys Stanley and Gary Rohan seems just that. We've got a couple more cards to play, but what tonight reminded me was that Chris Scott's controlled-condition H&A formula is unstable and unproven under Finals temperatures.

Gotta rally from here; we're still in a really strong position and there have been many, many teams in our position to peak at the right time and snatch a flag.
The club has an opportunity see where we can make the neccessary tweaks, and if we're good enough we might still surprise ourselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back