Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

6, you have to have the second tall forward in there. You need 6 changes.
If they are playing 2 tall forwards it would be at the expense of one of Taylor or Henderson, and Blicavs would go back to defence

Still only 5 changes

If Stanley is available, not sure we'd play a dedicated 2nd tall forward, as Stanley is just as likely to take the centre bounce and then go forward to play the second tall role - something he was going prior to injury

They were smashed by us last year by 70 plus points when they had a few players out and went on to win the flag. We have quite a few key players to come back in. A good lesson to have now instead of in the finals we will be better for it.
Selwood and Ablett make us slower but harder and more skilled. Not sure how that nets out against Richmond.

These are some takeaway from the game:
1) our tackles don’t stick under pressure
2) we need a diff set up playing tigers. Sav is the wildcard and should replace Hendo.
3) perhaps play clark rather than Henry facing tigers. Need some run off half back
4) it’s not all loss tonight. Lynch did a hammy and soldo injured his knee

We can't play a brand of football needed to beat Richmond, pretty simple as that. We can't play fast enough and don't have the skills or decision making required to dismantle the way they defend.
Agree with this. We can only win the flag if someone else takes care of them for us. Hopefully those injuries will stretch them a little.

Dunno what game you watched last week but Jenkins was hardly even in our forward line and played majority of the game as number 1 ruck. Took some good marks helping out the defense and handy with ball on deck around the ground
He spent atleast 5 mins each qtr resting up foward. I agree it wasnt much but he did play down there.

Rohan - Jarvis
Stanley - Esava
Selwood - Fogarty
Ablett - Close

Steven is first emergency, I would play him ahead of Atkins, but they love him, Cannot see him combing out.
Could not agree more. What about one of the defenders? We play one too many.

I’d rather Stevens. If we lose a mid during the game he goes in. We need to have the “Danger go fwd“ card like tonight. Touhy should be playing back. We look to have one too many talls that can play on similar opponents. Kolo, Henry, Hendo. Taylor will be playing no matter what.

Savs a better foward. Save for kicking. Did you not see how pathetic jenkins was in the foward line against bombers? He even did an airy in the goal square for what should of been an absolute sitter.
Lets give jenkins more than 1 game .... plus lets play Jenkins in his natural habitat in the forward, not in the ruck....

So we look likely to now have to travel to Adel to play Port in the first final. Would have been nice to avoid that.
Yes cos that is the problem this year. Travel and hotel living.

Total non factor and a hard cop out to stomach. We’ve spent 4 months away from home.

Did we have Dangerfield, MOC, Henderson, Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy, Menegola, Sav, Miers, Dahlhaus, Close etc etc etc etc etc 9 years ago?
If you have that mindset did you also assume we'd lose 2007 because we lost 89, 92, 94 and 95?
Different era, different team, different opponents. Different season.
LEARN from history, absolutely, but it does not dictate the future in any way.
The fact that we see the same pattern with changing personnel points strongly at a coaching issue, doesn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight could've cost Richmond more, depending on how bad Lynch's hamstring is. They've already lost Soldo with a knee injury. All we lost was some percentage.

This is a very different team. And it was far from Hawkins’ fault we lost tonight.

i admire your confidence. I hope you’re right.

I’m not necessarily confident, I thought we were a chance for the flag at 7pm today and I still think we’re a chance for the flag now.

I just think it’s crazy for anyone to write off our chances after one game. There are many factors to explain tonight’s loss and they aren’t ‘we have failed in finals before so we will do so again.’

It was billed as the H&A game of the year and we didn’t turn up. There wasn’t much to get excited about either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We haven't turned up in the 2nd last round of all our premiership years either. Just relax.
Statistically, that was our worst game for pressure this season. Very interesting stat for mine.
Sure is.
tbh can’t believe your optimism despite 7+ years a finals failure.
The last 7 years mean zip.
Maaate.. You should've watched the game.
I did. We were poor, no intensity, important players missing and we played a totally different style than we have for the last 7 weeks. We looked tired at times and coming off a 5 day break wouldn't have helped. And it was 4 goals. We're a different side at the Gabba where clearances are more important. We dominated that stats tonight but were lacking some class and pressure up forward. Rohan and Ablett will help that. It also allows Danger to play the majority of the game in the midfield.

Not to mention players playing out of position for large chunks of the game.

Could not agree more. What about one of the defenders? We play one too many.

I’d rather Stevens. If we lose a mid during the game he goes in. We need to have the “Danger go fwd“ card like tonight. Touhy should be playing back. We look to have one too many talls that can play on similar opponents. Kolo, Henry, Hendo. Taylor will be playing no matter what.

Yep I would like a defender out, but can’t see them switching that now. Kolo or Bews could go depending on opposition, can’t see it happening.

Feel bad writing this because it’s not really fair but thought whoever played on the first gamer controlled the game from their defence, whether that be Grimes or Vlaustin. Kicking inside fifty was absolutely horrendous though so that didn’t help.

They did their homework, they just cut our gameplan to shreds. Had the game completely on their terms.

They didn't let us get a free player in our back 50, so we couldn't switch.
The pace of our build up let them set up their zone and our guys weren't willing to try and kick through their zone in the middle. This forced us to be predictable wide and down the line. We played without the targeted aggression of the last two months that forces the other team into their shell. We just couldn't get the couple of safe possessions to create the space we like. In contrast their build up were quick long and into space.

The had two players on Hawkins and had their ruckmen pushing back to stand in front of him. He had no chance to get in the game. The rest of our forwardline combined wasn't a threat which allowed them to devote so much energy on Hawkins, they'll play Sav after that, I wish I could watch when he goes for goal. We turn the ball over so quickly our mids did even have time to get up the ground to be the scoring threat we need them to be.

Our ball use from clearances was sh*t, our skills let us down and we were losing contests where we had an outnumber. When this happened tactics were irrelevant anyway.

We need to figure out how to delay their counter attacks, create stoppages rather then give them intercept possessions. they go from intercept mark on the HFF to I50 way too quickly. We can't close them down we just have to avoid it happening.

We rotated so many 2nd tier players through the middle, got a bit silly in the last w,e tried a few hail marry's in Henderson forward and Dalhlaus in as an inside mid, Dalhlaus kind of worked.

O'Connor kept getting caught one out against Riewoldt, given how many KPD sized players we have this was quite annoying.

If we play them again I hope our players wake up on the right side of the bed.

Excellent interpretation.
And we appear to have done no homework, I don't care how good they are.
We were too slow again and debatable selections.

So we look likely to now have to travel to Adel to play Port in the first final. Would have been nice to avoid that.
We'll play Brisbane at the GABBA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back