Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

So given that at 100% of contests Richmond players stream attacking side of the ball and then they smash the ball forward to where those players are running, why have our coaches not changed our structure in contested ball situations to neutralize this? The number of times they had 2-5 players plus the ball goal side of us was embarrassing.

Glad someone else saw this.
We persist with handballing defensive side, maybe we have to counter by tapping or soccering it forward at all costs. They won't have the numbers there. Worked in the wet against Freo.

That was a spanking. Very flattered by the margin. Worse in a way, IMO - Tigers had another gear or two. Imagine if they won more than a small number of centre clearances.

They never do, in fact they setup not to.
They prefer to attack from turnovers and burst from half back, that allows their runners room and ground to spread and carry the ball.
Winning the middle or not means little to them.

He spent atleast 5 mins each qtr resting up foward. I agree it wasnt much but he did play down there.
Yes but I’ve never seen Sav help out his defenders like Jenkins did.
Bit hard to Judge Jenkins on last week when it was a walk in the park and Hawkins has space.
If Jenkins played tonight and let Grimes do what he did I’d be shocked

I get the impression that Jarvis was seen as a similar player to Rohan, in terms of being that medium forward - they are the same height, and Jarvis is said to play taller than his 189cm

With Rohan missing, if we bought in Jenkins then we're changing the structure to play 2 dedicated tall forwards, or if it was Narkle or Zuthrie who played then it would have been Hawkins & the mosquito fleet

Jarvis seemed to keep us most similar the structure we've been playing over the past couple of months

I know if you're good enough you'll make your big break work, but what a christening for poor Jarvis.
Nervous Nellie shot at goal,. there are easier games for him to build.
Throws the balance out too I reckon, let's face it they didn't adapt to him very well.

Scott not having a presser?
Are you really interested in anything he has to say?
Here, I'll do you the honours:
"Richmond are a really good team and they've been the benchmark for three years now. No, we felt that leaving players out instead of playing them was a better choice. No, I don't see any correlations in your observations that we consistently throw away big games. No, there are more factors to consider than that. No, it's multi-faceted. We really rate him internally and his role is probably more complex than it seems."

Are you surprised? He had 5 contest marks, 15 touches and 2 goals.
No. Not surprised. I’d have him in our votes. Just posting it to influence others opinions as you asked me to do mate. ;)

I’m relaxed. It’s interesting that you say “we haven’t turned up in the 2nd last round of all our premiership years” and then go on to say “the last 7 years mean zip”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was simply making a point that a loss tonight means zilch.

Well, wasn’t expecting that, but there you go. Tigers too good tonight again. Have to move on from the go slow rubbish and take the game on when things are troublesome. Pretty well every player has to stand up and say I’m going to play my best footy in the finals and deliver on that. None of this going to water rubbish. Comon cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange game but I think a good sighter. We'll now most likely play Port. Better than Bears at home.

In the end though we list this game through equal amounts pride and selection.

Starting Blitz on the wing was pure pride to show it can work. It doesn't. I though Sav played ok but still think it robs us of our versatility. Happy to meet these frauds again.

Are you really interested in anything he has to say?
Here, I'll do you the honours:
"Richmond are a really good team and they've been the benchmark for three years now. No, we felt that leaving players out instead of playing them was a better choice. No, I don't see any correlations in your observations that we consistently throw away big games. No, there are more factors to consider than that. No, it's multi-faceted. We really rate him internally and his role is probably more complex than it seems."

Genuinely funny. 10/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out next week: Jarvis, Close,

In: Selwood, Rohan,
Ablett, Rohan, Stanley, Selwood and Steven will all play next week.

Out will be Jarvis, Close, Fogarty, Henderson/Taylor and Parfitt

Drop Dahlhaus then. It's about this time of the year we need the best side in.
Narkle, Constable, Selwood, Stanley are in the mix so who goes out?
Genuine question - is Constable in consideration as I really don't recall hearing too much about him since his concussion

Ratugolea was also playing forward in the first quarter when we were bombing it long and Richmond were walking it out of our 50

It was mentioned at one stage that Hawkins was having words with him as Ratugolea was just being a spectator with the ball coming in & not even trying to get involved or stop his opponent being involved

Maybe we started getting more marks in the forward 50 after the pressure eased of and we started actually looking where we were kicking the ball compared with just bombing it in hope
Jonathan Brown had a crack at Sav at half time. Playing with no presence and not helping Tommy at all.

This was the loss we needed... Break the winning streak and reset.
Deflate any big egos.... Revenge is an excellent motivator.

The school of life gives you the test first and the lesson after.
Lesson 1: A clear reminder of what to expect playing finals football.
Lesson 2: Those kittens not ready for finals were exposed.
Lesson 3: We need Plan B to counter sides double teaming Hawkins.
Lesson 4: Slow forward movement denies Hawkins his one on one advantage.
Lesson 5: Hawkins needs another key forward marking support... and ground support.
Lesson 6: Unforced errors cost games. Skill execution under pressure needs to be honed.
Lesson 7: You can't defend your way to a win. You must take the game on.
Lesson 8: Goal kicking skills must be improved.
Lesson 9: Defenders need to be more physical in the contest.
Lesson 10: No passengers allowed. Every player must be involved in the contest.
Lesson 11: The First Option is the best option, under finals pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back