Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

His 3 kicks on goal didn't fill me with confidence - the first seemed lucky to make the distance, the second looked slightly better and the last kick he did well to hit the narrow spot on the behind post

No doubt he had an impact in the last quarter, but how much was it down to Richmond easing off a bit, especially as they were already 2 down on the bench.
Oh rubbish. He was taking contested marks earlier in the game up the ground as well. He just wasnt given opportunities up foward. 2 goals and 1 out on the full. Yeah thats shocking kicking. If rohan was taking marks like that up foward everyone would be going nuts on here.

plus he simply makes it easier for hawkins who also found a bit of space in the last Cos well he wasnt being triple teamed. our forward line was flooded with defenders in that last qtr too due to slow ball movement.

Meh.
Melters will massively over-react to this as usual but whatever.
We were terrible, they completely out-played us and deserved the win.
Good to lose a week or 2 before finals and against a decent opponent who players finals type footy it's the perfect game to dissect and make adjustments.
I'm more confident of facing them in the finals than I was 4 hours ago.

Yeah, as much as it was fun watching us hand Essendon their arse, my mind went back to the last team that made it hard for us to play: Adelaide. We need games like these to improve.

In some ways we were not hard enough tonight but I'm not worried about our ability to be hard enough in a final.

It's the forward setup. Not scoring, or not keeping it in there is the problem. The first quarter tonight we were getting plenty of pill and plenty of F50 entries, for nothing.

The same has happened in some of our bad finals first quarters; we've actually had a small ascendancy but failed up forward.

The main thing the side needs to do is learn how to scrounge some goals when the pressure is on early. After that I think we are as good a chance as anyone else.

Last edited:
Perceived pressure? Whatever it was it’s in our heads now. And will be very difficult to not be an anchor next time we play them. They know they have it over us too.

Our skill level and as you say “dumb play” was really disappointing. I thought we’d be better than that. Blicavs and Stewart can hold their heads high. Maybe Ratagolea and Guthrie. Dangerfield was terrible. Duncan the same. You don’t expect much from Close and Atkins but you’d think D and D would stand up...
Probably the only thing we can hang out hats on is Dangerfield, Duncan, Menegola and Guthrie could each be 10% better and we would have kicked another 5 goals.

Actually, that and adding Stanley, Ablett, Selwood, Steven and Rohan.

I really think Stanley and Rohan are critically important for us.

Not having lost for 7 odd games...and not having our best setup, no rohan, no selwood, no stanley, certainly exposed issues ..especially with the Hawkins island ..

Many many players will be better for that game, the pressure , whether directly form Rich or self imposed was a lot higher than we have had to cope with

To my mind... if im to be critical about being great thru H&A and aweful in finals ..I cant be too critical about this game... plenty of lessons ..and a few weakness expossed...

Honestly that was almost a 60 plus point defeat ... now we see if we really do have the best coach in the league

One would have to have questions about whether our "control" method will standup under finals pressure ...

Last edited:
Based on everything I've seen.
1 game doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme on things, if it did we'd never have won 2007, or 2009, or 2011, nor would Richmond have won last year, or even ANY Premier in recent history.
1 game means very, very little.
But what I did see was a complete breakdown of our structures both forward and back and we lost all system around the contest. We couldn't have played much worse, and those who really let us down are placeholders for far better players.
We simply were out-worked by a side that was more desperate and we played right into their hands.
If everyone wants to declare the season over and the GFC should be dissolved over 1 game then go for it, but it's just that, 1 game, and for us it's 1 game that came at the absolute perfect time. Dawn of finals, against a finals like team with almost nothing up for grabs.

A rational post. Nice to see.

Probably the only thing we can hang out hats on is Dangerfield, Duncan, Menegola and Guthrie could each be 10% better and we would have kicked another 5 goals.

Actually, that and adding Stanley, Ablett, Selwood, Steven and Rohan.

I really think Stanley and Rohan are critically important for us.

Our forwards not contesting contests showed how important Rohan is

Game was lost at selection very dissapointing performance. Arrogant to pick a debutant and change structure against such a good team. We have the team and game plan to win again. But we should all be nervous not knowing if the best team will be picked for finals. Some very good players to come back in. But still a really poor effort just before finals.

I get the impression that Jarvis was seen as a similar player to Rohan, in terms of being that medium forward - they are the same height, and Jarvis is said to play taller than his 189cm

With Rohan missing, if we bought in Jenkins then we're changing the structure to play 2 dedicated tall forwards, or if it was Narkle or Zuthrie who played then it would have been Hawkins & the mosquito fleet

Jarvis seemed to keep us most similar the structure we've been playing over the past couple of months

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally would have said Sav was average tonight, his first 3 quarters were quite poor.
The game opened up due to injuries and then he played a good 1/4
Many many times tonight I would’ve preferred Jenkins in tonight
Around the ground Esava did ok, but going forward would of loved Jenkins there.... Come finals, Big Forwards show why there worth every dollar, that's why id like to see us give Jenkins few games in a row...

Oh rubbish. He was taking contested marks earlier in the game up the ground as well. He just wasnt given opportunities up foward.

If we go with the structure you want, finals will require Sav to be a competent KPF for three consecutive games against the best defensive groups in the comp.

You think he's ready to produce that?

Usual poor skills with no pressure out spread was garbage and our kids a liability including Henry with 5 to come in we may get bit more balance

The coaches spent all year planning after the prelim last year and came up with that. The players were hurting and wanted revenge.

Seriously?

I'm hoping they didn't spend the year planning for a rematch of last year's prelim, and instead spent the year focusing on things they can control and preparing for a tilt at the flag regardless of the opposition

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back