Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen that side you've named play football at an elite level under finals pressure either though. And I don't think they can do it either.

Maybe, but it has a much better chance of playing at that level than what we saw tonight from those players listed. Like i said, it's delusional to think we can only make 1 or 2 changes and be better come finals. That bottom 6-7 will are proven failures at handling the pressure.

Probably the only thing we can hang out hats on is Dangerfield, Duncan, Menegola and Guthrie could each be 10% better and we would have kicked another 5 goals.

Actually, that and adding Stanley, Ablett, Selwood, Steven and Rohan.

I really think Stanley and Rohan are critically important for us.

Im not sure it’s JUST about personal though those names are better than some we had in tonight. We lack a real crumber too. Atkins and Close just arent true crumbing forward pockets.

They did their homework, they just cut our gameplan to shreds. Had the game completely on their terms.

They didn't let us get a free player in our back 50, so we couldn't switch.
The pace of our build up let them set up their zone and our guys weren't willing to try and kick through their zone in the middle. This forced us to be predictable wide and down the line. We played without the targeted aggression of the last two months that forces the other team into their shell. We just couldn't get the couple of safe possessions to create the space we like. In contrast their build up were quick long and into space.

The had two players on Hawkins and had their ruckmen pushing back to stand in front of him. He had no chance to get in the game. The rest of our forwardline combined wasn't a threat which allowed them to devote so much energy on Hawkins, they'll play Sav after that, I wish I could watch when he goes for goal. We turn the ball over so quickly our mids did even have time to get up the ground to be the scoring threat we need them to be.

Our ball use from clearances was shit, our skills let us down and we were losing contests where we had an outnumber. When this happened tactics were irrelevant anyway.

We need to figure out how to delay their counter attacks, create stoppages rather then give them intercept possessions. they go from intercept mark on the HFF to I50 way too quickly. We can't close them down we just have to avoid it happening.

We rotated so many 2nd tier players through the middle, got a bit silly in the last w,e tried a few hail marry's in Henderson forward and Dalhlaus in as an inside mid, Dalhlaus kind of worked.

O'Connor kept getting caught one out against Riewoldt, given how many KPD sized players we have this was quite annoying.

If we play them again I hope our players wake up on the right side of the bed.

Not sure where I sit after that. That was as bad as it could get to be honest, totally outclassed. I don’t think a loss is that big of a deal at this point of season but the manner of it was appalling.

I am not writing them off, they have played some great football this year.

Need Selwood, Stanley and Rohan back. Esava threw a bit of curve ball with great last quarter but he will miss.

We won’t see Fog, Jarvis, or Close again this year.

I think Steven may miss out, as Ablett will be preferred and I think they will keep Atkins in.

I wish i could agree with that. Its just the same sh*t different year... Yes we came back in the last quarter, but they kicked away again... Just accept it we aren't good enough...

Yeah, but a missed 50 from Blicavs, Sav misses, Duncan's kick to Parfitt misses etc - that all goes your way and the game changes

Explain to me if Kolo kept Riewoldt goalless in a prelim, why he’s not on him tonight?
Henry panicked a lot tonight, didn’t even see Taylor in the second half nearly.
Grimes tore us apart tonight and we let Nankervis run around tonight like he was a running half back flanker.

In hindsight losing tonight should see us play PA in the first final in Adelaide and I’m more than ok with that

Heads up, that was sh*t and deserved to win by 10+ goals
Henderson was on him for at least 3 of those goals. Taylor just let him waltz away for his 1st at the stoppage

If Scott gets up there and trotts out how good they are I'm gonna lose my shit.

If lay people like us KNOW Hawk will be teamed, thinks Sav would be a good Forward foil
REALISE how aggressive they are over the ball and FAST chaos hands

WTF can't they? So POOR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did their homework, they just cut our gameplan to shreds. Had the game completely on their terms.

The pace of our build up let them set up their zone and our guys weren't willing to try and kick through their zone in the middle. This forced us to be predictable wide and down the line. We played without the targeted aggression of the last two months that forces the other team into their shell. We just couldn't get the couple of safe possessions to create the space we like. In contrast their build up were quick long and into space.

The had two players on Hawkins and had their ruckmen pushing back to stand in front of him. He had no chance to get in the game. The rest of our forwardline combined wasn't a threat which allowed them to devote so much energy on Hawkins, they'll play Sav after that, I wish I could watch when he goes for goal. We turn the ball over so quickly our mids did even have time to get up the ground to be the scoring threat we need them to be.

Our ball use from clearances was sh*t, our skills let us down and we were losing contests where we had an outnumber. When this happened tactics were irrelevant anyway.

We need to figure out how to delay their counter attacks, create stoppages rather then give them intercept possessions. they go from intercept mark on the HFF to I50 way too quickly. We can't close them down we just have to avoid it happening.

We rotated so many 2nd tier players through the middle, got a bit silly in the last w,e tried a few hail marry's in Henderson forward and Dalhlaus in as an inside mid, Dalhlaus kind of worked.

O'Connor kept getting caught one out against Riewoldt, given how many KPD sized players we have this was quite annoying.

Great analysis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where I sit after that. That was as bad as it could get to be honest, totally outclassed. I don’t think a loss is that big of a deal at this point of season but the manner of it was appalling.

I am not writing them off, they have played some great football this year.

Need Selwood, Stanley and Rohan back. Esava threw a bit of curve ball with great last quarter but he will miss.

We won’t see Fog, Jarvis, or Close again this year.

I think Steven may miss out, as Ablett will be preferred and I think they will keep Atkins in.

Ablett plays Closer's position and Steven in for Fog? Selwood goes....hrmmmm - tough decisions coming up

Maybe, but it has a much better chance of playing at that level than what we saw tonight from those players listed. Like i said, it's delusional to think we can only make 1 or 2 changes and be better come finals. That bottom 6-7 will are proven failures at handling the pressure.

So have the top 5 or 6

Our ball use from clearances was sh*t, our skills let us down and we were losing contests where we had an outnumber. When this happened tactics were irrelevant anyway.

And all of that was predictable. So why weren't we prepared.

We just weren’t up to it tonight and tigers played better , lucky to not be thrashed

dissapointing but I’m still hopeful with some good inclusions coming up for the finals

desperately needed Rohan to keep the ball in the F50, Gaz for his kicking and Selwood for his leadership

not too concerned
Why? The MC always pull baffling team selection out of their asses come finals time. What makes you think this year would be any different?

I always get the feeling we have more to offer - this game was lost before it began - at team selection.
We never seem to have a full strength side when it counts. Jenkins should have been in with Rohan out - then they could have played Hawkins up the ground just to try something different to give Richmond something to think about. The coaching is too one dimensional when it matters, so frustrating.

The calls for Hendo to be dropped are the peak of overreactions. It's no surprise our defence went up a gear when he was brought in. If you want to ignore the last 8 weeks by all means, but acknowledge that you're significantly hurting our defence by doing so. Hendo isnt the reason we lost tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back