Autopsy Geelong loses to Doggies by 16 points // Rd 16 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said that about 6 weeks ago and was widely shouted down round here..
Can't be negative about our good players.. Especially when someone knows their sisters uncles dogs neighbours :rolleyes:
I keep saying it but there's some precious supporters on this board that cry when anything negative is said. The podgy keyboard warrior is the main culprit.

Yeah the worry is sides have worked us out... And that isn't unheard of.. Often under Scott we have started the year doing something different and have started the year well, only to drop away when worked out.

The positive though is that all the loses have been close games we could have won.. So not much needs to change or be adjusted to turn the results around.

I still don't know if we can do it though.. Early in the year I thought we can win the flag, now I'm doubting it.. Our inability to cope with pressure really is a worry

Totally agree with every point.

We've been worked out, and sides know they only have to bring pressure long enough for us to crack, and then we drop off faster than a bride's nightie.

We're also losing at the selection table, which doesn't help.

Yes, the losses have been small, but if you look at the manner of each loss we have much bigger problems than the margins suggest.

Can we go all the way? I'm having grave doubts now.

We don't have the best game plan, we're unbalanced, and both the players and MC are losing their way.

Good analysis, they can turn it around but need to make some changes.

First half of the year we got away with these bad performances with accurate kicking now that has turned we are being shown up.

Lot of work to do. Personnel and attitude change needed.

If not for some incredible efficiency and goal kicking accuracy, combined with some poor kicking by opposition teams we've played, we could have easily lost another 3 or so games. It's why our current win / loss ratio isn't really reflective of how we're actually travelling.

IMO, we could easily be 9-6 rather than 12-3, and we're right back in the pack. Malthouse said recently when we were 11-1, that we weren't really an 11-1 side. I completely agreed at the time and that's being proven to be correct now.

We will improve but I just don't see us standing up to the pressure cooker that is September. I can't see us playing to the level required and withstanding enormous pressure for 3, maybe 4 games. I think we will win a final and get to a prelim, but that's where it ends for me.

Until I see us stand up and beat a full strength Collingwood or Richmond at the MCG in a final, I'll never believe we have the capability to go all the way. People on here are already nervous at the prospect of playing one of these teams in the finals. Because they know deep down we can't match it with them.

It’s pretty simple really. The cat’s were off the boil (it happens), and were beaten by the better team on the night. We only need to be concerned if they are playing like this in the last few weeks of the season.

View attachment 704579

Not time to panic at all but definitely shouldn’t just ‘move on’. Don’t know about you hoopla but I think we should be aiming to win a premiership this year and that means addressing a major weakness in our clearances against A grade mid fields.

Need to bring in Scooter for physical pressure and experience and some better shut down option, Parfitt back. Sav will add a lot in ruck when returns, but really need to get Stanley as our best option 1st ruck showing more physical presence.
In terms of outside skills I think Simpson is worth a try.

Well, you pick one, as you predicted, it came to pass.

An off-day with our goalkicking, and we lose a game we should have won.

But I bet you didn't expect 8 of our blokes to all miss sitters in one game.

Would have been interesting to see the result if we'd been 5 or 6 goals up at half-time, as we should have been.

We've been worked out, and sides know they only have to bring pressure long enough for us to crack, and then we drop off faster than a bride's nightie.

Yes, the losses have been small, but if you look at the manner of each loss we have much bigger problems than the margins suggest.

We don't have the best game plan, we're unbalanced, and both the players and MC are losing their way.
No team is unbeatable though, or overly impressive to be honest.

This could be a topic for another thread but geeze footy is crap at the moment, I had always said that if the team was winning who cares how you are doing it.. I've changed my views.. We were on top and winning for 80% of last night's game and i would have preferred to stab myself in the eyes with pins and needles for 2 hours than watch that garbage.. If that is a sign of how footy is the rest of the year then I am not even sure I care how we go, as I have no interest in watching shit like that week in week out

This could be a topic for another thread but geeze footy is crap at the moment, I had always said that if the team was winning who cares how you are doing it.. I've changed my views.. We were on top and winning for 80% of last night's game and i would have preferred to stab myself in the eyes with pins and needles for 2 hours than watch that garbage.. If that is a sign of how footy is the rest of the year then I am not even sure I care how we go, as I have no interest in watching s**t like that week in week out

Again, couldn't agree more.

I've bemoaned the deteriorating standard of the AFL amongst my social circle for a while now, and watching the Hawks and Cats games this weekend did my head in.

It's becoming farcical. The competition is so weak that winning it would almost feel 'Meh'.

Did not watch all of this game but what I saw was very poor. To be honest though if we are going to be a bit off this is the time of the year to be that way. Round 16 a couple of games clear on top should not be cause for concern. You have to build up for the finals and Geelong are certainly building a BASE they can build on. Would not enjoy a loss against St Kilda next week as that sets us up for a downer against our nemesis Hawthorn. Couple of interesting weeks ahead!

Unbelievable the amount of junk that’s gone on the last few pages. We played poorly and worse still somehow seemed to have inexplicably experimented with the same retro 2018 game plan as discussed at length but hopefully it’s a timely reminder that that utter garbage didn’t work last year or the year before and still doesn’t cut it this year. The players haven’t suddenly dropped off the face of the planet.

Bews out, Selwood outside on one side and Duncs the other, Clark bench and back not wing, pure CHF/2nd ruck in & Henry back, Danger 100% mid, Ablett permanent fwd, Blitz the permanent anchor on opposition best, Parfitt HHF, with another player like Constable/Fog/ Menegola to play mid HHF-extra stoppage

I keep saying it but there's some precious supporters on this board that cry when anything negative is said. The podgy keyboard warrior is the main culprit.
I remember i said Scarlett was a ********, super player.. Shit bloke.
And someone lectured me about "how dare you say that about a champion of the club" etc etc

People don't seem to realise that someone can be a gun and a flog.. They aren't mutually exclusive

And someone isn't less of a supporter or a troll for suggesting it

Lol-what are we 2 years old or something?
Dangerfield has tickets on himself no question and he has a strut and slightly arrogant manner that is not everyone’s cup of tea(especially embittered crows fans and probably tiger supporters because -tiger fans are like that. In anycase who cares what opposition supporters think). He can be a very ordinary kick for goal and ineffective kick around the ground. When games get tight he panics a bit and tries to take on too much, can take the wrong option and can really mess it up.
Other than those shortcomings I only see him as a constructive member of the team. Good skills, hard worker, intelligent footballer, runs, tackles and has a bit of flair, that if produced when it matters, makes a difference.
And even though I have been sucked in here- it strikes me as a waste of time moaning about this type of player - plenty more need attention than him.

This could be a topic for another thread but geeze footy is crap at the moment, I had always said that if the team was winning who cares how you are doing it.. I've changed my views.. We were on top and winning for 80% of last night's game and i would have preferred to stab myself in the eyes with pins and needles for 2 hours than watch that garbage.. If that is a sign of how footy is the rest of the year then I am not even sure I care how we go, as I have no interest in watching s**t like that week in week out
It was crap last night ay. We just sat through the game looking forward to Metallica in a few months time.
I hate to say it but unless Miers or Ablett play well we're bloody dull.
But the sad thing is all teams are.
Clark added a bit I guess.

It's either Bews or O'Connor and I have more faith in Bews and he offers more. There's no room for both

O'Connor, Guthrie, Atkins and Fogarty out of that side replaced with Menegola, Ratugolea, Parfitt and Constable. That's our best team and the best chance of success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember i said Scarlett was a ********, super player.. s**t bloke.
And someone lectured me about "how dare you say that about a champion of the club" etc etc

People don't seem to realise that someone can be a gun and a flog.. They aren't mutually exclusive

And someone isn't less of a supporter or a troll for suggesting it
Haha. Scarlett is a strange dude that's for sure. Asburgers or something without a doubt.
Favourite ever Geelong player though. Even more than the great man funnily enough.

It's either Bews or O'Connor and I have more faith in Bews and he offers more. There's no room for both

O'Connor, Guthrie, Atkins and Fogarty out of that side replaced with Menegola, Ratugolea, Parfitt and Constable. That's our best team and the best chance of success.

I'm actually liking those changes, though I do admire Atkins attack on the ball.

I'm actually liking those changes, though I do admire Atkins attack on the ball.
Atkins simply doesn't do enough. Our forward half has been unaccountable for a while now.

And last night I noticed a couple of our players were spent but never went to the bench. It was generally the same rotations with our midfielders rotating on and off the ground.

Mr Blicavs pointed it out to me last night regarding Bews. He could barely run at one stage and was blowing hard but they never took him off the ground. Trying to get miles into his legs perhaps, but it was strange.

Some of our players looked cooked at times which might explain why we dropped off in the last quarter.

Atkins simply doesn't do enough. Our forward half has been unaccountable for a while now.

And last night I noticed a couple of our players were spent but never went to the bench. It was generally the same rotations with our midfielders rotating on and off the ground.

Mr Blicavs pointed it out to me last night regarding Bews. He could barely run at one stage and was blowing hard but they never took him off the ground. Trying to get miles into his legs perhaps, but it was strange.

Some of our players looked cooked at times which might explain why we dropped off in the last quarter.
Haha I reckon I saw the same bit with Bews he pointed out. He looked absolutely f**ked

Yeah, I've to agree. He needs a spell.

A strange strategy with the rotations, even with Kolo gone......

Haha I reckon I saw the same bit with Bews he pointed out. He looked absolutely f**ked
He looked like he was about to fall over thus was his struggle to run. And he was right near the interchange at the time.

Well it was nice while it lasted, top billing etc. It was fanciful to think that CS's tweaking would baffle the competition for a full 25 weeks. Yet again, guilty of getting us to overachieve.But some reality now- everybody might accept we are not the best team, and talk of flags has been , is, and will continue to be ridiculous.
Teams with 2 dominant forwards and / or rucks and MF are better than us. WCE, Tigers, WCE. ,Pies.

Last edited:
If not for some incredible efficiency and goal kicking accuracy, combined with some poor kicking by opposition teams we've played, we could have easily lost another 3 or so games. It's why our current win / loss ratio isn't really reflective of how we're actually travelling.
IMO, we could easily be 9-6 rather than 12-3, and we're right back in the pack. Malthouse said recently when we were 11-1, that we weren't really an 11-1 side. I completely agreed at the time and that's being proven to be correct now.
We will improve but I just don't see us standing up to the pressure cooker that is September. I can't see us playing to the level required and withstanding enormous pressure for 3, maybe 4 games. I think we will win a final and get to a prelim, but that's where it ends for me.
Until I see us stand up and beat a full strength Collingwood or Richmond at the MCG in a final, I'll never believe we have the capability to go all the way. People on here are already nervous at the prospect of playing one of these teams in the finals. Because they know deep down we can't match it with them.
Could be right. I hope not.
I was onboard the bandwagon for a while, but tyres are starting to go flat.
Players towards end did look tired, with spread, chasing, and tackling below what we have seen in earlier games
I am hoping it’s ‘training load’ because otherwise we are heading for more September disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back