Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cats were beaten by the better team on the night. Well played port. Too good tonight. They couldn’t have played better…and the cats couldn’t have played worse.

The pressure was fantastic …as good as I have seen in a final for a while. On the other side, I don’t think I have seen more dropped sitters under no pressure at all. Plus there were a number of goal chances which the cats wouldn’t normally stuff up. An all-round shocker of a night. It’s disappointing but it’s only a game and you’ve got to be gracious in defeat.

On the upside…glass half full, the cats don’t put in two shockers in a row too often. Here’s hoping.

Anyone who thinks simply sacking Scott and replacing him will bare fruit is simply wrong. This isn't down to 1 man but to the entire club. It's cultural and ingrained.
Sacking and replacing Scott without any other changes is what Carlton would do.
We want change, we need wholesale change, and honestly it simply won't happen when those at the top view finishing top 4, regardless of competitiveness in finals, as successful and celebratory.

I want what was ingrained in the club from 07 to 11.

Henry probably the only backman to hold his head up high. Duncan our best mid after 3 months off. The rest were quite poor.
Too little from too many.

Feel for our forwards. What chance do they have with the way we deliver the footy to them.
Hope we have a few picks because I'd cull a few and reset the list for couple years or so.

Jenkins, Kreuger, Henderson, Brownless, Constable, Narkle, Parfitt*, Dahlhaus*, Clark* off the list
*2022 contracts so 'if possible'.

Can't win it without Stewart. So who cares if we end next week or the week after.
Like the Dogs we're dead in the water atm.

first finals geelong since 2012

2012 smashed by freo in Victoria. our home final
2013 beaten by freo in Geelong. Our home final
2014 smashed by hawthorn.
2016 beat hawthorn by less then a kick after smith missed. Hawthorn were getting smashed by everyone else at the end of that season and we nearly lost.
2017 smashed by richmond by 51 points (we beat richmond comfortably just weeks earlier)
2018 smashed by melbourne from the start.
2019 beaten by Collingwood,
2020 beaten by port.
2021 smashed by port.

It’s so devastating, so unrealistic. You have to call it art.
Bye gets us again...

Anyone who thinks simply sacking Scott and replacing him will bare fruit is simply wrong. This isn't down to 1 man but to the entire club. It's cultural and ingrained.
Sacking and replacing Scott without any other changes is what Carlton would do.
We want change, we need wholesale change, and honestly it simply won't happen when those at the top view finishing top 4, regardless of competitiveness in finals, as successful and celebratory.
A change in game plan would help enormously. So yes sacking Scott would be a big help. At least it would of been if it happened 3-5 years ago.

the team however is too old. No kids coming through. It’s too late now.

Idk, I actually think he is to blame for that. We know it's NOT a particular game plan that causes us to consistently fail, since it's not like Scott has implemented the same game plan over and over in finals. During his tenure we've gone in to finals with many different styles of play. This 2020-21 high possession chipping game plan isn't the same style we brought to the 2013 finals or the 2016 finals for example.

The one consistent theme, however, is this collapse in our intensity and skill level in finals. Our list has been turned over almost completely in the last 10 years but no matter which players are out there, the mental fragility still seems to always be there as a defining characteristic of Geelong in finals under Scott. Culture is a soft factor in football which makes it hard to analyse or quantify; it's not something tactical where you can see visually on screen what the coach been training them to do. It's more intangible than that. But that doesn't mean it's not a real thing that influences outcomes. There must be a reason we always go to water in finals. There's something about Scott's coaching that breeds mentally weak players.
Great post - totally agree :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact is we went into another final with zero intensity and not much effort.

That's solely on the coach and captain. They can't get the boys up for big games. The proof is in the pudding

We can bounce back but if we don't at least make the GF we need to make changes and rebuild.

That's reality.

I know it's always hard making calls this big after results like this, but it's something I've been thinking of for a while now.

How much longer can we keep doing this? And what needs to happen for us to make a change? In my opinion, the last ten years has been a waste of time. We need change at the club and a new direction.

Losing next week would probably be better for us in the long run. We need to hose out the coaches box and rebuild not just our list, but our mentality. The mongrel and hunger just isn't in the heads of this team. The desperation isn't there. The footage of Guthrie jogging, Henderson fumbling, Hawk missing sitters etc - it's all very telling.

The excuse-making from Scott is infuriating, and I wish everybody would stop tolerating it.

Injuries haven't helped us, but as per usual, the problems are between the ears with this group. We're miles off at the moment. Would take a miracle to win the GF from here.

I've been saying this since 2018. Groundhog day.

The only upside is we have a great history of coming back extremely strong the next week.
True. But then usually we are playing a fresh team in the prelim and tire and fall away. See 2013, 2017, 2019. 2020 the only exception. Although I think this will be straight sets. Like 2014. Club looks too old like it did back then.

Ah ok. Did it get changed? Heard earlier in the week the losers of Geelong and Melb games would be going to tassie.. winners to perth.
It changed late in the week

Geelong & Melbourne both flying to Perth the day after our qualifying finals regardless of the result

They unknown is whether Brisbane fly to Perth or get a chance at a home final depending on tomorrow night's result

The teams in Tassie will stay in Tassie all week and fly into Perth the day before (?) the match

I want what was ingrained in the club from 07 to 11.

Afraid to say Frank passed away, RIP.
We had a match committee and admin who were ruthlessly competitive and never rested on their laurels because they HAD to work hard to get any traction at all.
Now Carter brought back the old Geelong, Cook is sitting back on his empire and ready to retire, Scott and Lloyd offer zero intensity when finals comes around and I seriously question our ability to develop players or a system that not only can handle finals pressure, but relish it.
We are a reactive club, always sitting back and seeing what happens, that old club, the 3 Premierships club, they went out on the front foot and thrived in finals football. They demanded you play their way and never took a backwards step from the contest.
Complete mirror image of what we have today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back