Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's break out the "Geelong in finals" bingo card:

Inexplicable skill errors: TICK
Choking our shots in front of goal: TICK
Lack of intensity: TICK
Failure to capitalise on any period of dominance: TICK
Leaders failing to rise to the occasion: TICK
Bizarrely playing to opposition strengths: TICK
Pathetically weak tackling: TICK
Going in to the game missing a key player due to injury or suspension: TICK
Another key player carrying an injury that limits their ability to perform at their usual level: TICK
Scott making a positional move that hasn't been seen all season: TICK

Bingo :(

What
The cats were beaten by the better team on the night. Well played port. Too good tonight. They couldn’t have played better…and the cats couldn’t have played worse.

The pressure was fantastic …as good as I have seen in a final for a while. On the other side, I don’t think I have seen more dropped sitters under no pressure at all. Plus there were a number of goal chances which the cats wouldn’t normally stuff up. An all-round shocker of a night. It’s disappointing but it’s only a game and you’ve got to be gracious in defeat.

On the upside…glass half full, the cats don’t put in two shockers in a row too often. Here’s hoping.
What's the point? They'll just choke again the following week if they do manage to win one...

I heard that Henderson was on the verge of signing another 12 month contract, surely not! Not blaming him for the loss but he just looks cooked, far too slow and no physical presence.
Dahlhaus is another who just has no impact, he's lost his main asset, ie forward pressure and his kicking for goal makes Aaron Naughton look like Tony Lockett. I can't see them making too many changes next week, Tuohy & Sav look like logical inclusions but its going to take a massive change in attitude & intent to get them to win next week. Disappointing.

In : Holmes Clark Narkle Krueger Ratagolea Touhy Fort

Out : Henderson O'Connor Stanley Higgins Dalhaus Kolo Menegola
Not sure we'll make wholesale changes

More like O'Connor out, Tuohy in

And maybe Simpson out for Higgins

Doubt we make more than 2 changes unless injuries

Amidst the fury at what we've just witnessed (yet again), a few small observations...

1. This team surely now needs to just forfeit QF's. We don't turn up for them and the only outcome that is uncertain is whether someone will get injured (hey there, MOC) or suspended.

2. The lack of composure across this team when the heat goes on is seriously frightening. And the way it spreads like a contagion once one or two begin the fumblefest is absolutely embarrassing.

3. The lack of willingness to match the elite pressure of other teams in finals is also seriously abysmal. It's O.K. to get beaten by a better team; it is far from O.K. to get thrashed for willingness to work hard, run hard and tackle like your life depends on it.

4. As soon as the coach mentions how 'steeled and galvanised' the playing group is next time, you will know we are done.

5. The Port crowd is up there with the most classless group of footy followers in the AFL. Booing Sels, Hawk and Danger just for the sake of it was predictable, puerile and pathetic.

Anyway, I hereby promise to never again express even the slightest scintilla of hope that we will turn up ready to play in a first final with this group. I guess it's a case of the old cliche...eight times bitten, twice shy.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Was going to post this in the MVP thread but worried I'd get banned...

Games like this are why I'm not a fan of the 1 - 5 vote system. Prefer having 15 (or whatever) votes to spread however you choose. Henry deserves all 15 tonight. Actually, I'd chuck a couple Duncan's way, but how can you find 5 blokes to give votes to tonight?

Idk, I actually think he is to blame for that. We know it's NOT a particular game plan that causes us to consistently fail, since it's not like Scott has implemented the same game plan over and over in finals. During his tenure we've gone in to finals with many different styles of play. This 2020-21 high possession chipping game plan isn't the same style we brought to the 2013 finals or the 2016 finals for example.

The one consistent theme, however, is this collapse in our intensity and skill level in finals. Our list has been turned over almost completely in the last 10 years but no matter which players are out there, the mental fragility still seems to always be there as a defining characteristic of Geelong in finals under Scott. Culture is a soft factor in football which makes it hard to analyse or quantify; it's not something tactical where you can see visually on screen what the coach been training them to do. It's more intangible than that. But that doesn't mean it's not a real thing that influences outcomes. There must be a reason we always go to water in finals. There's something about Scott's coaching that breeds mentally weak players.
That's a very debatable point. But what can't be denied is that we have the oldest ever team on the park. Is the long season + finals on top of last year's escapades taking its toll? To me, the boys looked like a tired team.

Also, form is a funny thing.

Let's hope they can get it together next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks simply sacking Scott and replacing him will bare fruit is simply wrong. This isn't down to 1 man but to the entire club. It's cultural and ingrained.
Sacking and replacing Scott without any other changes is what Carlton would do.
We want change, we need wholesale change, and honestly it simply won't happen when those at the top view finishing top 4, regardless of competitiveness in finals, as successful and celebratory.

No, it wouldn’t but we need to regenerate. Is Scott going to be/wanting to be around for the next go? Do we need a new vision? I think there are significant personnel changes required within the playing group. We need to be prepared to develop young talent and be patient.

I know it's always hard making calls this big after results like this, but it's something I've been thinking of for a while now.

How much longer can we keep doing this? And what needs to happen for us to make a change? In my opinion, the last ten years has been a waste of time. We need change at the club and a new direction.

Losing next week would probably be better for us in the long run. We need to hose out the coaches box and rebuild not just our list, but our mentality. The mongrel and hunger just isn't in the heads of this team. The desperation isn't there. The footage of Guthrie jogging, Henderson fumbling, Hawk missing sitters etc - it's all very telling.

The excuse-making from Scott is infuriating, and I wish everybody would stop tolerating it.

Injuries haven't helped us, but as per usual, the problems are between the ears with this group. We're miles off at the moment. Would take a miracle to win the GF from here.
Yep - I really want the press to hold his feet to the fire on his ABYSMAL finals record

Although I think this will be straight sets. Like 2014. Club looks too old like it did back then.
Someone before tonight's game said this has been a long long season and we have tired old legs and that we are out of puff.

I think he was correct.

I

Hendo, Kolo, Guthrie, Dahlhaus, Selwood, Bews, Danger and Rohan were colossally poor tonight

I have never seen a Geel team fumble or turn the ball over like tonight. And I saw the last half of last years GF.

10 goals from the opposition smalls were embarrassing. Letting the only two mids Port have collect 65 possies between under almost zero heat was woeful.

The no spirit hurt. I’ve very rarely accused a Cats team of that. Tonight we didn’t care.

Fact is we went into another final with zero intensity and not much effort.

That's solely on the coach and captain. They can't get the boys up for big games. The proof is in the pudding

We can bounce back but if we don't at least make the GF we need to make changes and rebuild.

That's reality.

As much as it might be nice to pin it on one or two people, that was a collective effort.

Sure, the game plan is not holding up, but it's being amplified by dropped marks, running in circles, guarding grass, and whatever other "specials" the players seem to do when a bit of pressure comes on.

You can get rid of Scott and that might change things a bit, but the players hold a fair share of the blame too.

Never, ever want to see in Geelong colours again:
Dalhaus
Higgins

Should be regarded strictly as depth players going forward and only used if no fit player available:
Henderson
Atkins
Rohan

Should be replaced ASAP with AFL standard alternative:
Stanley
Menegola

Should decide if they really want to play footy any more:
Guthrie
Dangerfield (although I strongly suspect he has a broken hand)
Wont happen. Rinse and repeat

Anyone who thinks simply sacking Scott and replacing him will bare fruit is simply wrong. This isn't down to 1 man but to the entire club. It's cultural and ingrained.
Sacking and replacing Scott without any other changes is what Carlton would do.
We want change, we need wholesale change, and honestly it simply won't happen when those at the top view finishing top 4, regardless of competitiveness in finals, as successful and celebratory.

Agree.

We've got one of the greatest leaders this game has seen in Joel and this is still happening.

There's something wrong and it goes deeper than just the coach

fair assessment

Is anyone surprised about Rohan though? Seriously!
I don't know how many times I have posted his finals record only to be shut down and told the opposite.

Gary Rohan is one of the worst finals performers in recent memory. Some athletes crave the spotlight and want to embrace the moment, Rohan is simply not one of them and never will be.

Geez im sick of these friday night QF losses, completely ruins any enjoyment out of the remaining games.
We are the most experienced finals team yet we are mentally fragile in finals and shit the bed the moment the heat is put on and backs against the wall.
Guess it puts any talk of us putting the cue in the rack at half time last week to bed, we simply arent that good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back