Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

When there all saying Waterman wanting a trade.. its for the end of his contract right? Which if so , he is a RFA so it won't cost us a thing ?
Almost certainly so. If you're wanting to pick him up as a FA you need to put that option to him now because he'll be in talks with WCE about an extension now.

It’s all well and good to say ruckman and hitouts are overrated, but Conway literally can’t get on the park. Stanley will (should) be gone next season. So what’s the solution? SDK number 1 ruck next year? I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing in OBrien
We definitely need a mature age ruckman next year. I would like Obrien but I personally think he will cost a end of a round 1 pick as his contracted and still is 28..
Id rather go after a Reidy who will cost us peanuts as his a rookie and not getting a gamebat Freo anytime soon
Or a Dante Visentini or Peter Ladhams who are both contracted but only fringe players at Swans and Power and won't cost us anything in picks. I think 1 of them could fill the gap in between Conway if his body won't hold up

Probably the guy who's been spending most of his time in the ruck as we have put our season back on track. You might not like it but CS is clearly a fan of SDK in the ruck and given his preference for mobile rucks I wouldn't be at all surprised if he preferred him in the ruck to ROB.

Theres a big stretch between a few games (most of which sdk is getting smacked in) and the durability to ruck all year which sdk doesnt have. For the year we have no options because blitz has carried that load but age wise is slowing down.

I think Scott and co have made it very very clear over the years they don’t rate tap rucks.

Conway they went for with an early pick and he looks a version of brad ottens to me, very skilled around the ground and I can easily see him resting forward and kicking his 1-2 here and there causing problems like Otto.

Mitch edwards looks also incredibly skilled for a big man.

Anyone we discuss as a ruck, I think we need to try and approach it from the perspective of what our coaches value in a ruck. Mentioning these journeyman tap rucks is pointless when our coaching group don’t value them.

Yes but mentioning the other rucks is pointless when they arent physically ready and cant get oj the park. Our options are literally concede the ruck or bring in a decent ruck and not concede the ruck (until the kids are ready). Not a hard call.

You can't just randomly bump someone's pay though, he'd have to sign a new contract at a higher $$$ amount to do that.

And the point is, why would he sign a new contract with WCE worth slightly more money, but for no additional years, just so that you have some leverage next year to match a RFA bid when the contract expires?

It's in his interest to either wait a year and cash in with a big free agency offer where he has complete freedom to take the offer as a UFA; or if he is to sign a new contract for more $$$ at WCE (as in the example), he would also want to make that a 5+year deal to lock in the extra $$ in the long term.

Bingo.

He could already well be a RFA. Point I was making is if he’s not we can offer him more cash which he’s not going to say no to.

Jake wants to stay at the Eagles. He’d probably prefer the Eagles be able to match it for that exact reason.

Anyway enough talk about Jake, just wanted to give you guys some context in my initial post as to why it would take a bit for the Eagles to trade him this year.

Play on.

His current contract was signed when he was much more a middle tier fringe player. Its highlt unlikely hes in the top 25 % and rfa. He will be for 2026 if he stays but he wont be now.

I've made a few calls to "contacts" who were able to provide an answer on this Waterman story. According to them it's "garbage" and we shouldn't read too much into it.

Bailey Smith still a yes and "we are well placed to get a deal done". The overriding view though was that "we will be very active" post season.

I forgot to add - the two names thrown up again in discussion were Sean Darcy and Ollie Lord.

I've made a few calls to "contacts" who were able to provide an answer on this Waterman story. According to them it's "garbage" and we shouldn't read too much into it.

Bailey Smith still a yes and "we are well placed to get a deal done". The overriding view though was that "we will be very active" post season.
I forgot to add - the two names thrown up again in discussion were Sean Darcy and Ollie Lord.
How do you envision us getting a deal done for Smith & Darcy?

Would have have a player involved one would think, unless we're prepared to cripple ourselves draft wise.

Smith & Lord much more likely if it is to occur IMO.

Would have have a player involved one would think, unless we're prepared to cripple ourselves draft wise.

No idea - that's way above my pay grade. Only happens if we're we're prepared to trade future picks and move players on I guess.

I can see the merit in SDK being our #1 ruck until Conway is ready - and then being a very handy combo changing between defence and ruck when Conway plays. If SDK spends a fair chunk of next year playing ruck then maybe we've got this all back to front and instead of talking about ruckman coming in, it's possibly another ready made key defender we're looking at. Not sure where O'Sullivan sits in this discussion as he doesn't strike me as a key defender at this stage.

Another ruck that can’t get on the park. Freo would send him off if they can get good value in a heartbeat I reckon
Yeah Darcy will be very gettable. They'll want that hefty contract off their books. For us to consider it, they would want to be kicking in a bit of cash ala Pies-Grundy.

I hope we avoid at all costs, personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are your thoughts on OL Jumping Jack? He obviously knocked us back last year (Sav trade), but after just the six games this year, I'd imagine he might be feeling a bit more open to a move..

23 yo at the start of next year and just 19-career games. They do take a while to come on the big guys as we all know, but I'm not sure he has demonstrated he is likely to make the grade at the highest level? They do take time though..

Neale is the same age and very similar stats. From memory, OL had a very good game in a final - he kicked 3 or 4. But not much splitting the two at the present time..

He's obviously under contract (until end of '26) so it's Port's call, and after we held Sav to his contract, I doubt they play ball. He doesn't have a high value right now, so I can't see Port entertaining it unless OL wants to come and we pay overs (the latter is very unlikely IMO).

So in summary, our ruck situation is that this year we are getting through (no choice) with a ruckman who is past it, a key Back who is way better as a key back than as a ruckman and an undersized and ageing guy who still covers ground like few big guys can. We have one prospect who is struggling to get on the paddock and a couple of guys learning the game and also not being available regularly.

I think most on here agree that bolstering the ruck situation for next year is a high priority. We might be able to land a back up like Ladhams who has had his prospects radically changed by the Swans getting Grundy. But between Chris Scott's approach to the Ruck position and Conway's potential I dont think we are an attractive destination.

So please Mac and Wellsy, fund us a ready to go, very mobile big guy who can contribute around the ground. I see guys not on AFL lists or who are about to be tipped off AFL lists as our only chance. Just cannot see us getting the guys being mentioned on here.

If anyone is aware of a ready to go, mobile big guy who might be available please let the club know. If they play with a bit of physicality, so much the better. Also please share your ideas on here. Thanks.

PS. I love Chris Scott and sincerly hope is our coach for many more years. Just thought a clarification might be necessary!

He's a knee injury away from coming to us with one of Freos firsts

I think if we were to try and find a new ruck we should be looking around for someone with the profile of Briggs or Xerri, both only 201cm tall but built like absolute brick shithouses. They seldom get smashed in hitouts but provide a lot around the ground physically.
Its like the opposite to a Blicavs, who is about 198cm but is more of an athlete around the ground than these two. But Xerri and specifically Briggs hit contests harder and make their size known.

Its also a really good alternative to a Conway, who if he comes along is a skilled, mobile tap ruck whereas a Briggs etc are wrecking ball rucks.

The only other ruck I could think of having a punt at who is on an AFL squad would be Moyle from the Suns, be interesting if King rates him and mentions him as ruck insurance for Conroy.

Or we go to the VFL/SANFL and hope to find an experienced body to bring in for Stanley.

I think if we were to try and find a new ruck we should be looking around for someone with the profile of Briggs or Xerri, both only 201cm tall but built like absolute brick shithouses. They seldom get smashed in hitouts but provide a lot around the ground physically.
Its like the opposite to a Blicavs, who is about 198cm but is more of an athlete around the ground than these two. But Xerri and specifically Briggs hit contests harder and make their size known.

Its also a really good alternative to a Conway, who if he comes along is a skilled, mobile tap ruck whereas a Briggs etc are wrecking ball rucks.

The only other ruck I could think of having a punt at who is on an AFL squad would be Moyle from the Suns, be interesting if King rates him and mentions him as ruck insurance for Conroy.

Or we go to the VFL/SANFL and hope to find an experienced body to bring in for Stanley.
You're describing the size and shape of Joe Furphy. I've actually missed the games he's played though so no idea if he's any good.

Theres a big stretch between a few games (most of which sdk is getting smacked in) and the durability to ruck all year which sdk doesnt have. For the year we have no options because blitz has carried that load but age wise is slowing down.

Apart from the first half against Carlton SDK has not been smacked. He's been at least as competitive around clearances as Stanley or Conway and given us way more outside of that. I'm pretty sure his game against Hawthorn is the only time a number 1 ruck of ours has received coaches votes all year.

I was shocked when we tried him in there but based on performance we'd be mad to go with anyone else as number 1 ruck come finals.

Apart from the first half against Carlton SDK has not been smacked. He's been at least as competitive around clearances as Stanley or Conway and given us way more outside of that. I'm pretty sure his game against Hawthorn is the only time a number 1 ruck of ours has received coaches votes all year.

I was shocked when we tried him in there but based on performance we'd be mad to go with anyone else as number 1 ruck come finals.
I reckon Nash signing on with Hawthorn was a big missed opportunity for us. We play him through the middle in the blitz role and blitz could retire to the backline and cover SDK.

You're describing the size and shape of Joe Furphy. I've actually missed the games he's played though so no idea if he's any good.
I’ve seen enough to suggest he wouldn’t be the worst option for zero cost, right age with plenty of scope to develop for next season, definitely not a plodder shows some good signs.

Well if he fits the bill of height and physicality hopefully he has some skills to match. Although VFL stats lists him as only having played 6 games this season, any reason why that is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back