Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Chris Scott gave a pretty good indication today in his press conference re Duncan and Rohan.

Stopped short of saying both would 100% be there next season, but seemed to indicate that contracts had been put in front of both. Rohan (when fit) has some assets (when fit) and still has his leg speed and marking for his size. And can impact games. Duncan I fear is cooked and might fall into the category of "I played on one year too many" if we assess this time next year.

If Duncan is best 22 next season I think we have problems.
Mitch will be best 22 for about 12 games in 2025

thats it

Go Catters

Why hasn’t Stanley announced he is finishing up like Touhy has?
Some players just might prefer to slip away quietly when the time is done than make a big deal about it

Who won the Judd trade though?

I would say West Coast won that trade.

I think Geelong will be better shaped in 2027 than what Carlton were in those early days. Bruhn, Holmes, Clark, Dempsey will all be approaching 100-150 games so a player like Reid could potentially walk into a midfield ready to explode.

It's a pointless discussion anyway. Realistically, a very long way off at this point in time.

Chris Scott gave a pretty good indication today in his press conference re Duncan and Rohan.

Stopped short of saying both would 100% be there next season, but seemed to indicate that contracts had been put in front of both. Rohan (when fit) has some assets (when fit) and still has his leg speed and marking for his size. And can impact games. Duncan I fear is cooked and might fall into the category of "I played on one year too many" if we assess this time next year.

Slightly surprised at Rohan, not at all surprised on Duncan

Some players just might prefer to slip away quietly when the time is done than make a big deal about it
Given there's a number of posters on here who have only ever made a 'big deal' about Rhys when they're apparently losing their minds about his supposed underperformance, he might have simply decided that it's just not worth the collective angst the mere mention of his name invokes for some across the supporter base.

#communityservicemoment
#bennycassweseeyou
#onyarhys
#respect

Disappointing re Rohan. Cooked to a crisp.

Agreed.

He should be a 'break glass' only option.

IF both Duncan & Rohan play on next season, I dare say it's on heavily reduced match time - utilising their experience to help with the development of the next generation but knowing they won't exactly be first choice selections

I doubt it's come into the Club's thinking, but Rohan is currently on 98 matches in the Hoops - so another 2 needed for potential F&S qualification. When I did the membership appreciation day earlier this season (match against Hawthorn at KP), we had Conway & Clohesy chat with us out on the ground, and Ted spoke highly of Rohan when he was playing VFL earlier this season - the professionalism he bought, his approach to matches, inclusion of the youngster etc. So if he was to play on next season, I get the impression he wouldn't feel himself above playing a development coaching role with the next gen

Meanwhile, Duncan is currently on 293 career games - another milestone that could come up early next season if he plays on. This one I could see as potentially coming into the thinking, though I could just as easily see him retire alongside his great mate, Hawk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When do we need to upgrade Mullin from CAT B to main list? (Or have I missed it?)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thinking that depends on whether 2022 is counted as his first year - it is when he had originally agreed to come out before deciding to stay in Ireland

Or if they decided to count 2023 as year 1

He'll have to be upgraded after his third season (though you can upgrade earlier) - so if we extra senior list spots this October, they may opt to upgrade him

IF both Duncan & Rohan play on next season, I dare say it's on heavily reduced match time - utilising their experience to help with the development of the next generation but knowing they won't exactly be first choice selections

I doubt it's come into the Club's thinking, but Rohan is currently on 98 matches in the Hoops - so another 2 needed for potential F&S qualification. When I did the membership appreciation day earlier this season (match against Hawthorn at KP), we had Conway & Clohesy chat with us out on the ground, and Ted spoke highly of Rohan when he was playing VFL earlier this season - the professionalism he bought, his approach to matches, inclusion of the youngster etc. So if he was to play on next season, I get the impression he wouldn't feel himself above playing a development coaching role with the next gen

Meanwhile, Duncan is currently on 293 career games - another milestone that could come up early next season if he plays on. This one I could see as potentially coming into the thinking, though I could just as easily see him retire alongside his great mate, Hawk
It's a delicate balance, for sure. But if you've got a fair whack of senior players already committed to retire, it's not necessarily altogether wise to push a couple more out the door at the same time. As you say, if they're prepared to play a wider development role and front up in the seniors as and when required, I can see a role for either one or both on the list next year.

Unless Mackie and Wells have a couple of Lawson Mk. II's lined up for this year's draft, we'd be cutting loose proven players (albeit with limited shelf life) in favour of picks who are far more likely to be Cameron Taheny than Oliver Dempsey.

So I'll ultimately back the list management team to make the best call in the best interests of our long-term list prospects.

IWAMWT.

I thought Rohan does his best ground work with the physio. I'm not sure how many quick goals he scored in that match but surely that alone qualifies for another season at our club.
His former partner (and mother to his children) seriously dislikes this post.

Last edited:

So Duncan could be on 296-297 games at the end of this season.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't useful for 5-10 games in 2025. If we delist Parfitt and Bews, then along with Hawkins, Tuohy and Stanley we would be 5 experienced rotations down on 2024. That's 51 games (and counting - so closer to 60 by the end of finals) from 2024 to fill.

It's naive to assume Cameron, Stewart, Dangerfield etc will play out full seasons. We can't take for granted that Humphries and Zuthrie will bang out 23 games each without any injuries.

Losing all of your old heads at once is how you fall in a heap. Staggering things is the correct method. Not just for on field, but off field reasons.

So Duncan could be on 296-297 games at the end of this season.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't useful for 5-10 games in 2025. If we delist Parfitt and Bews, then along with Hawkins, Tuohy and Stanley we would be 5 experienced rotations down on 2024. That's 42 games (and counting - so close to 50 by the end of finals) from 2024 to fill.

It's naive to assume Cameron, Stewart, Dangerfield etc will play out full seasons. We can't take for granted that Humphries and Zuthrie will bang out 23 games each without any injuries.

Losing all of your old heads at once is how you fall in a heap. Staggering things is the correct method. Not just for on field, but off field reasons.
Comes back to what would you prefer?

The experience, on and off-field coaching, and spasmodic brilliance of Mitch Duncan?

...Or pick 78 in the draft? Keep in mind we'll already be taking several picks just before then.

It's chalk and cheese. If we've got a Dempsey or Humphries stashed away then we'll find them regardless, we don't need the list spot and the token pick in expense of Duncan.

Finding the next Jake Tarca and giving him a two year deal over the one year deal that Duncan will command makes zero sense.

Duncan has played some very good footy this year. Clearly coming to the end but not the scrap heap. No issue giving him one more.
The other factor in his favour is how much footy he's managed in 2024 without significant injury. He's already chalked up 19 matches and is likely to get at least 22 for the season from here. That's handy numbers for a player whose durability has been questioned a little in recent seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back