Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be holding my breath on Doedee, replacing anyone.
Didn't even play a JLT game. He'll have to play very well in at least 6-8 SANFL games first. May not even debut this season.
Only injury will stop him...by the end of the season he will be an integral and highly valued member of the team.

Good:
- Otten's game, and that goal. Much love.
- Mackay. Very good game, probably our best.
- Jacobs. Enormous. Like a servo pie, our performance was improved significantly by Sauce.
- Charlie Cameron's runs.
- Puopolo's grab. Good for footy.
- Finally beating the Hawks, experience playing and winning on the 'G.

Bad:
- JJ injury.
- A few howler umpiring decisions.

Couple of observations:
  • Beast mode Sloane and Jacobs. Nooooiiice.
  • I was saying that Dougie and Mackay were back to their form of last year. Both were total non entities. Fortunately for Mackay, he sorted his shit out in the second half and was a late game gun. Dougie did not.
  • Hampton and Atkins being a little too cute trying to dodge through 3 blokes. Still, usually works for Rat and it looks like Hampton is getting up to pace to be doing that too.
  • I wonder if there has been some explicit training on getting blokes to hang onto the ball and dispose to advantage while being tackled. We're flirting with holding the ball quite a lot doing that, and we get called a bit, but we're doing a lot better than I can remember here. The best teams do this.
That holding the ball decision, i thought it was freekickhawthorn all over again...notice how that decision manifestly impacted the momentum (the crows had a run on, and then Hawthorn got the last 5mins of the quarter for momentum). People won't make a big deal of it because crows won, but honestly the worst decision i can ever remember seeing - the tackle was front on...how could it possibly be in the back? Paul Roos was very critical, and he seemed pretty understated for the rest of the match.
There was a bit more nasty umpiring than that:
We were called back for 3 or 4 play on to advantages. Hawks had one in particular in the first where the play had stopped completely, and they took the advantage, kick to mark in the forward 50, then goaled.
Could not get a HTB/incorrect disposal decision for us to save our lives. Hampton and Atkins kept trying to dodge players and were (rightly) called for it, but not the hawks.

Good: When the graphic flahed up (in the 3rd?) that Crows were going 78% by foot compared to the Hawks 55%.

Thought I was living in a parallel universe.

Over the course of the game there was only a 1% DE difference between the two sides. They were running much higher early, we ran much higher late.

Good:
- Otten's game, and that goal. Much love.
- Mackay. Very good game, probably our best.
- Jacobs. Enormous. Like a servo pie, our performance was improved significantly by Sauce.
- Charlie Cameron's runs.
- Puopolo's grab. Good for footy.
- Finally beating the Hawks, experience playing and winning on the 'G.

Bad:
- JJ injury.
- A few howler umpiring decisions.

Credit to DMac as he had an influence and nailed couple of clutch moments however he was far from our best

Sauce. Sloane, Lynch and Brown all easily ahead of DMac

Credit to DMac as he had an influence and nailed couple of clutch moments however he was far from our best

Sauce. Sloane, Lynch and Brown all easily ahead of DMac
Fair assessment. Could quite possibly be the Sauv Blanc giving me DMac fever.

How did I forget Sloane. Another great game, and some seriously good aerial work today.

By AFL I'm pretty sure he means top level, aka played in our main team.

As opposed to playing AFL game in a non-AFL league like the SANFL, WAFL etc

sorry just nit-picking but it bugs me so much

You cannot, by definition, play an AFL game in a non-AFL league

The sport is called Australian Football, or Aussie Rules

AFL is the league

No one says 'my son plays NBA' or 'My 10 year old scored a goal playing EPL today'

i know you're not the only one to use that terminology but you've done it twice in this thread, sorry it set me off

---------------------------

That was the first time Mackay has kicked 3 goals in a game

He had a terrible game early but credit for standing up when he did

all in all he ended up better than par

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of observations:

There was a bit more nasty umpiring than that:
We were called back for 3 or 4 play on to advantages. Hawks had one in particular in the first where the play had stopped completely, and they took the advantage, kick to mark in the forward 50, then goaled.

I'm pretty sure we were called back because they were marks not frees, you can't "play on advantage" a mark.

That one meant a lot to me, having a rabid hawks supporting brother who accompanied me to both the 2007 Elim and 2012 Prelim.

SAUCE!!!!! His best game for the club.

Sloane- immense around the contest all day (16 tackles) but really lifted in the second half.

I am losing it with excitement about our youngsters, led clearly by Cameron & McGovern.

I thought DMac was pretty quiet early, but credit where it is due in making the most of his opportunities, kicking those 3 and providing that run when he did get it.

I normally try and avoid the conversation around their performance as it detracts from the footy, but that umpiring display was absolutely horrendous.

He must change his name from Luke Brown. Far too vanilla

How about Max Power?

giphy.gif

That's two massive wins to start the season. 2 games that were 50-50 at best at the start of the season, also takes a lot of pressure off going into showdowns which are such mixed bags depending on whether Port decide to show. Still a long way to go, but we could very easily have been 0-2 and be playing catch up footy in a season I suspects going to be really tight at the top once again. A win in the showdown would really sets up our season.

Starts are a little worrying, although it seems we're just taking time to properly get our structures/gameplan going, which to me means it should be reasonably easy to rectify as the season progresses. It's good practise and experience though to be able to arrest opposition momentum and then actually run them over in the end. One of Hawthorns major strengths was their ability to remain very much in a contest despite being 5 goals down, they had the belief and confidence that they were never out of it and they won a lot of games as a result.

One of Hawthorns major strengths was their ability to remain very much in a contest despite being 5 goals down, they had the belief and confidence that they were never out of it and they won a lot of games as a result.
Great point and I hope this is something we take from this game but also develop it as we go along. The idea that the game is never over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back