• Patrick Parnell

• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The commentators yesterday were joking that Rankine has more chance of kicking a goal from the impossible angle, than Keays does from any angle and any range. The other commentator queried whether that included the goal line. There was no response, though I was mentally saying "yes, including the goal line".

Keays is a bloody awful kick for goal, and that's putting it generously. However, he is a hard nut (and extremely hard worker), who contributes massively by setting up other players - hence his top-20 ranking league-wide when it comes to goal assists.

Accept him for what he is - a complete liability when kicking for goal, but otherwise solid contributor to the team & the forward line in general.

Last 4 weeks Keays has gone at 75,83,75 and 81 % DE
His field kicking and decision making has improved a lot. He is taking less shots on goal and giving off to better options
For comparison - Dawson has gone at 60-67 for 3 of the last 4 weeks and one week in the 80

Not comparing the two as Dawson is levels above Keays - but some should acknowledge his ball use has improved markedly

A quick additional note. Last year Keays kicked the ball at 52% DE, this year he is up to 63. Note this is better than Tex and a myriad of quality AFL players

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
His field kicking and decision making has improved a lot. He is taking less shots on goal and giving off to better options
For comparison - Dawson has gone at 60-67 for 3 of the last 4 weeks and one week in the 80

Not comparing the two as Dawson is levels above Keays - but some should acknowledge his ball use has improved markedly

I really wonder how accurate it is, keays game didn’t look like an 80% DE on the weekend.

I really wonder how accurate it is, keays game didn’t look like an 80% DE on the weekend.

Go and watch his field kicking more closely. He is taking easier options and making them. Winning the ball or working hard to be the outlet option and then finding some of our better users

The commentators yesterday were joking that Rankine has more chance of kicking a goal from the impossible angle, than Keays does from any angle and any range. The other commentator queried whether that included the goal line. There was no response, though I was mentally saying "yes, including the goal line".

Keays is a bloody awful kick for goal, and that's putting it generously. However, he is a hard nut (and extremely hard worker), who contributes massively by setting up other players - hence his top-20 ranking league-wide when it comes to goal assists.

Accept him for what he is - a complete liability when kicking for goal, but otherwise solid contributor to the team & the forward line in general.
Still got coaches votes from both or bog from one.
Even his bad days are good
Our boy Jones is picking up a few votes lately

Something something glass house.
So.. maybe you can explain it then B&B..

why is there any difference in what player 1 did compared to player 2? (in my example above).

both players were involved in the handball chain that resulted in player 3 kicking a goal.

player 1‘s possession gets called a “score involvement“ and player 2 a “goal assist”

someone a few comments back claimed it was cause the last play before the goal is somehow harder.. I’d love to see how thats been worked out!.

ease up on the insults, thats the easy option, and instead give us your thoughts.

i reckon when you think a bit about it there’s no real way you cant come to a similar conclusion than I have.. that its a load of utter horseshit.

I just dont understand this attitude that we cant have every one of our forwards kicking goals though..

Its almost like we have to accept mediocrity.. and then when someone questions it a whole heap of strawmen arguments are launched against them..

The comment about Keays not talking shots was made by the games commentators.

Why the hell can we not get one or two small forwards that do exactly what keays and murph do BUT also at the same time kick more than 1 goal every three or four games?..

Its bewildering, and frankly a little strange, that some in here simply accept this. Sort of a “we cant have everyone being good.. every team needs a couple of spuds” attitude.

Why?..

The s**t Murphy and Keays do.. gut running, applying tackling pressure and trying hard is the easier s**t to teach.. the composure, the xfactor, the goal sense, the silky skills.. thats the s**t that isnt easily taugh because it normally always just comes naturally.

if we have some other options like cook, nank, newchurch, dowling, taylor (when he returns from injury) starting to show something do we leave them in the sanfl because we need to keep a couple of “battlers” in the 22?

Dont accept mediocrity.. Blood another one of our talented and promising youth in that forward line thats already packed to the rafters with experience I say.
You really haven't been paying attention to how they're using Murphy. He's barely a forward, more a stoppage player. It allows us so much flexibility with how we set up.

I'm not a huge keays fan, to be honest I'm not sure whether he's terribly well liked by many of the players. But every team has a forward with defensive duties and, as we saw against Collingwood, a bloke with keays engine can burn the oppo going the other way. I'd probably play an in form McAdam ahead of him, but not ahead of Murphy and frankly there's not a better stoppage player on the list than him right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really haven't been paying attention to how they're using Murphy. He's barely a forward, more a stoppage player. It allows us so much flexibility with how we set up.

I'm not a huge keays fan, to be honest I'm not sure whether he's terribly well liked by many of the players. But every team has a forward with defensive duties and, as we saw against Collingwood, a bloke with keays engine can burn the oppo going the other way. I'd probably play an in form McAdam ahead of him, but not ahead of Murphy and frankly there's not a better stoppage player on the list than him right now.
I’m all for keeping murphy in if he continues his current form.. IF.. and hopefully he does.. but we’ve all been burnt by murph in the past.

but if, in the very near future, a billy dowling or a cook (players who have far silkier skills and can hit the scoreboard) really start hitting their straps and murph is still kicking 1 goal every four games.. then I want to see our selectors get a bit less conservative.

that Dowling lad looks like another Mid draft “soligo“ snag… don't want to see him stagnate in the SANFL.

Cook has been very good too and kicked a couple on the weekend.

I really liked Jones' game.

21 diposals, 1 goal, and ran hard up and back the wing all day. Dropped back a few times for a relieving mark or a handball outlet.

He has gone from barely cracking 10 disposals to being a really solid contributor, averaging just under 20 a game.

He takes the first option and generally uses the ball well, and we all know how tough and strong he is.

He has really turned things around.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jones is also nailing goals either on the run or set shots.

We just need to leave him in the wingman role for a while before considering moving him in the middle... particularly as we more in need of outside than inside players.

I’m all for keeping murphy in if he continues his current form.. IF.. and hopefully he does.. but we’ve all been burnt by murph in the past.

but if, in the very near future, a billy dowling or a cook (players who have far silkier skills and can hit the scoreboard) really start hitting their straps and murph is still kicking 1 goal every four games.. then I want to see our selectors get a bit less conservative.

that Dowling lad looks like another Mid draft “soligo“ snag… don't want to see him stagnate in the SANFL.

Cook has been very good too and kicked a couple on the weekend.
We are using Murphy completely differently to previous years. He's a genuine one touch stoppage player and that's how we're using him, instead of a hit up target getting bombs dropped on his head like we used to. Neither Cook or Dowling are the same player.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on Gryan Miers

One goal as a forward for the year, but Cats supporters love him
i dont really follow the VFL very closely.. actually, at all.

so I don't know what geelong players there are playing in their seconds that could possibly replace miers and what sort of form they are currently in

Well well well.

Plenty of discussion saying it was planned by a few Nicks cheerleaders, I wonder if they might change their view now and acknowledge they were wrong again ;)
Some good judges said in the preseason we should shift Hinge back to free up Dawson to play in the midfield... ;)

A quick additional note. Last year Keays kicked the ball at 52% DE, this year he is up to 63. Note this is better than Tex and a myriad of quality AFL players

Yeah..

but Keays also has the same DE% as Petracca and Oliver.. Mutineer has used this comparison in the past.

its the “I’m not comparing them i’m just comparing their stats” arguement.

The type of comparing you do when you want to make a comparison but know its utterly ridiculous to even consider doing so!

two of the three of them are among the best players in the comp..

Yeah..

but Keays also has the same DE% as Petracca and Oliver.. Mutineer has used this comparison in the past.

its the “I’m not comparing them i’m just comparing their stats” arguement.

The type of comparing you do when you want to make a comparison but know its utterly ridiculous to even consider doing so!

two of the three of them are among the best players in the comp..
Ah yes the old stats to win an argument

i dont really follow the VFL very closely.. actually, at all.

so I don't know what geelong players there are playing in their seconds that could possibly replace miers and what sort of form they are currently in
So that’s a ‘no’, you don’t rate him?
Do they? Thought he was their whipping boy?
They’re loving his impact as of right now off a HFF, from what I can tell

He still can't hit the side of a barn door, from 2 paces, when the big sticks are in his mind.

Field kicking, I will agree, has shown recent improvement.

So that’s a ‘no’, you don’t rate him?

They’re loving his impact as of right now off a HFF, from what I can tell
I’ve watched two geelong games this year..

ours and the suns game.

I don‘t watch geelong that often..

but I do remember thinking when miers first emerged a few years back now “how the fxxk do geelong continually find all these good players”..

he kicked 28 goals in his first year.. and has slowly dropped down into the early teens each year ever since.

murphy‘s best is 19 in a season but he’s had 9 twice with 7 being his lowest.

thats poor for a bloke who’s a small forward.

but like I said.. is there anyone in geelongs seconds that should come in for miers?.. can you suggest anyone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs St Kilda, R9 2023

Back