Preview Grand Final Mighty Hawks vs Fremantle - 28 September 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I like the fact that the media are not talking us up. Aussies love the underdog and freo in its first GF will have all the hype to deal with. It's like a breath of fresh air to the media. We can just focus on what we need to do to win.

A lot of people have forgotten that freo beat an exhausted Sydney and the swans didn't really give a yelp. The shockers are sore as well and are playing down their injuries. Our boys will remember last year, the hurt, the horrible feeling of losing and will not allow that to happen this year.

Let the media have their circle-jerk and we'll just win the bloody thing!

Well it looks like its us ( and westcoast supporters ) against Australia. Nobody wants the hawks to win who can blame them.

Freo will put up a fight no doubt. They are super talented and tough, with an effective style. But we lost the grand final and that alone should ignite the boys on fire. Then that epic win over Geelong. The scene is set for a murder...

I felt in the 2012 GF we did not have the killer instinct. FFs it's a grand final: do something, hurt someone. Punches, high bumps. Anything. I didn't see that.

This time I expect murder. Murderers: hawks. Victims: dockers.

I can't believe I woken up positive this morning.
I'm mr negative most of the time.
I thinking if Geelong kicked straight (18 points) in the first final they would of beaten Freo.
Freo then played Sydney who were stuffed, and Freo were full of running.

It's our turn to kick straight and win.

It was a response to a carte blanche statement. The important bit is Fremantle is your opponent in this grand final and they have at least 7 players who can kick goals from 50 mtrs plus off a step or two. You don't have an advantage on that alone.

This is going to be a better game than you think.

We just hope we can get close.

I was confident the day after the prelim, after seeing Fremantle beat Sydney i was concerned.
Guess it's the power of positive thinking, have been reasonably upbeat since. But now i just want them to smash Fremantle to prove all of the nay-sayers wrong AND extract redemption from last year's hiccup.

Take the Grand Final out of the equation and you have a fit and reasonably healthy Hawthorn list all fired up to play Fremantle on the MCG on a Saturday afternoon. A nice cool day, with the possibility of a little rain. Consider what the margin would be for a H&A game and half it because it's a final.

Thus, Hawthorn by 25 points. QED.

Wow. The longer the week draws, the more amazed I am regarding how we are being talked down in the media. It is just beyond belief for me when I consider the following-
Top of the ladder, lost 3 games for the year, finally leaped a huge mental hurdle which will instil even greater belief into our group, were the only team to kick 100 points against our gf opposition this year, have no injury concerns, are experienced in finals and gf's, are driven by the pain of last year but more importantly better prepared due to it, are not travelling, are playing on our home ground, a ground which by shape alone very much negates our opposition's 'anti-football' tactics, are playing before 95k in Melbourne, on ground our opposition have visited less than their local dentist.
None of these reasons mean we WILL win it, but i'll stand rooted if these reasons alone do not suggest that just maybe, we are a some sort of chance.

My opinion- we will absolutely flog Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. The longer the week draws, the more amazed I am regarding how we are being talked down in the media. It is just beyond belief for me when I consider the following-
Top of the ladder, lost 3 games for the year, finally leaped a huge mental hurdle which will instil even greater belief into our group, were the only team to kick 100 points against our gf opposition this year, have no injury concerns, are experienced in finals and gf's, are driven by the pain of last year but more importantly better prepared due to it, are not travelling, are playing on our home ground, a ground which by shape alone very much negates our opposition's 'anti-football' tactics, are playing before 95k in Melbourne, on ground our opposition have visited less than their local dentist.
None of these reasons mean we WILL win it, but i'll stand rooted if these reasons alone do not suggest that just maybe, we are a some sort of chance.

My opinion- we will absolutely flog Freo.

I'm getting sick of it too. Last year the discussion was reasonably impartial but this year...everything seems to start with "Hawks are favourite but OMG TEH DOCKERZ PRESSURE OMG".

You can see in the article on RealFooty even the boys are getting a little annoyed by it.

Talk is cheap and Ross Lyon is sure doing a lot of talking this week - in fact I don't think I've ever heard a coach and his players with so much to say in a lead up to a grand final. Beginning to think its all part of the mind games - trying to rile the hawks and knock them off balance with all the mouthing off - hopefully they just stay focused on the big picture rather than their 30 seconds of fame in print like the freo boys

I'm getting sick of it too. Last year the discussion was reasonably impartial but this year...everything seems to start with "Hawks are favourite but OMG TEH DOCKERZ PRESSURE OMG".

You can see in the article on RealFooty even the boys are getting a little annoyed by it.

This is a great thing. Yep piss our players of more than they already are.

I have a cool 100 on Hawks by > 10.5 (Keeping it safe), but in reality I think the Hawks by 43. We will give these pricks a football lesson.

Oi oi!

Just wanted to pop in and note that the one sided media attention is unbelievable. No idea why it's so uneven but I guess the media loves an underdog story. There is an article on Foxsports today titled "What If's". It goes over all the negatives if Hawks don’t win and one or two for Freo. It reeks of anti-Hawk BS. When you add in the tipping and Sheehan's Clarko coaching WCE call, it's been a pretty lame build up.
While it's nice for us long suffering Freo fans it's not fair for you guys who have every right to enjoy a few feel good stories about your club considering the year they've had. TBH I can only see this all being a plus for your boys.

On a side note Ross and the troops are only doing heaps of press over there as the media has turned into an absolute circus.

Anyway, after all is said and done, Saturday arvo we can all go nuts and watch our boys go to the death against each other. There is no doubt in my mind that whoever wins this year will be extremely deserving of the premiership. Good luck guys!

J

I was very positive last week with regards to the actual game and I feel the same way about the GF.
I know the Hawks can and will beat, no flog Failmantle and send them packing back to that backwater hole that is WA.
What I am struggling with is not being able to enjoy the fact that the Mighty Hawks are in another GF.
I know people say ignore what it is the media, but it is becoming increasingly hard.
The lack of respect being show this club and the verbal diarrhoea ad nauseum about Fremantle has just about pushed me to the brink.. The timing of certain statements, rumours etc.. leaves a lot to be desired. I just wonder sometimes if these journos have hidden agendas or is it just sh1t stirring.. I want to go to the game on Saturday and enjoy what will be another Hawks flag, but I am struggling. :(

After all the media gushing over Fremantle's win over Sydney on the weekend I think its time we labelled that game:

'The Greatest 25 point win in the history of the World, EVER!'

Purple Fog, was mesmerising. I still cannot get over the fact that they kept Sydney to 39 inside 50s, had an amazing 71 tackles and only allowed them 19 scoring shots, simply mind blowing stuff.

I mean Hawthorn had only 60 tackles, kept Sydney to 38 inside 50's and 16 scoring shots, remember though Sydney were shot to pieces when they played us.

Purple Fog, was mesmerising. I still cannot get over the fact that they kept Sydney to 39 inside 50s, had an amazing 71 tackles and only allowed them 19 scoring shots, simply mind blowing stuff.

I mean Hawthorn had only 60 tackles, kept Sydney to 38 inside 50's and 16 scoring shots, remember though Sydney were shot to pieces when they played us.

Sydney and Freo have the same strengths, which involves packing the ball, contested footy and tackling. Freo is simply superior to Sydney in all these aspects this year and particularly with Sydney being undermanned.

Their first half was impressive but we'll see they can replicate it on a wider field, with players spread across the field more. If they can then the cup is theirs but I like our chances.

PS

why were Sydney shot to pieces when they played us and not Freo?

I was very positive last week with regards to the actual game and I feel the same way about the GF.
I know the Hawks can and will beat, no flog Failmantle and send them packing back to that backwater hole that is WA.
What I am struggling with is not being able to enjoy the fact that the Mighty Hawks are in another GF.
I know people say ignore what it is the media, but it is becoming increasingly hard.
The lack of respect being show this club and the verbal diarrhoea ad nauseum about Fremantle has just about pushed me to the brink.. The timing of certain statements, rumours etc.. leaves a lot to be desired. I just wonder sometimes if these journos have hidden agendas or is it just sh1t stirring.. I want to go to the game on Saturday and enjoy what will be another Hawks flag, but I am struggling. :(

I know exactly what you mean GH. I was really looking forward to this week but it's been even worse than last year with everyone except Hawthorn supporters jumping on the Freo bandwagon. The comments by Mike Sheehan last night were the last straw and I nearly burst into to tears when I heard them :( (and I am not usually an emotional person). I am hoping a visit to training tomorrow will restore my spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back