Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
It's underwhelming if we can't land another first.
Mitchell?, Gunston, Shiels, Hartigan, Howe, Phillips and Big Boy out versus Amon, Meeks and Pick 6 coming in (as it currently stands)

For the short term at least that would be a net negative in current list ability. Especially if Mitchell leaves.

Shows how hard it is to recruit free agents / trades when you are competing against destination clubs I guess .

I think next year we are going to have to rely on growth of existing young talent on the list along with further evolution of Sam's gameplan TBH.

Get a good run of form and a few injuries crop up as they do every year and he's every chance of running out on the MCG on the big day in September.

That's a big ******* sell.
Continuously overlooked in these pages.

We’ll have slayed Goliath to have him select us.

GC will ask for Cats pick 18 back in the deal. Your not just getting Bowes and 7 for later picks in returns. They said they still want something decent back other way. Otherwise AFL will block deal surely
It's a future 2nd. Already agreed. And ours will be better. But they are saying it's all up to Bowes where he wants to go. Hence the clubs trying to sell the story via the media.

I will watch the Cats with interest in 2023. In Selwood they have lost there heart and the grand pa's are another year older. I do not have them in the 2023 GF.

As for Bruhn and Henry, plug and play does not always work out. As us Hawks know first hand with O'Meara and Mitchell.

An Pick 7, could pass Bowes quickly in a midfield that had a lot of options.

I think you're counting cats in your sleep mate.

Bowes has already heard the dream of playing with talented youngsters and keeping the group together to reach the ultimate glory.

He's been pushed out of that environment and we'd be trying to pull him into the same one. Noted we are a much better club than GC.
Our sell is:
  • you keep your salary
  • you'll get game time.
  • Sam is an awesome bloke

Compared to Geelong who are still flush with champs and will almost certainly play finals next year - it's a completely different prospect. They don't have to sell the dream of being part of a successful culture because they already are one. So please don't be offended and disappointed if he goes to Geelong.

Geelong's sell is:
  • you keep your salary (spread out a bit)
  • you get to be part of the best team in the league (currently)
  • you get to play with a bunch of current day legends

The thing that works against Geelong is that they're stacked in the midfield and they're also trying to bring in Bruhn as well. No guaranteed gametime. They're also not in Melbourne - is that a plus or a minus?

I dislike Geelong like no other (I think more than essendon but its a close call) but still have immense admiration for what they've achieved. Chris Scott himself admits they've taken a contrarian approach to list management - that has paid dividends in recent years and ultimately this year but it doesn't scream dynasty to me.

They are topping up with Bruhn, henry and others but they are losing Selwood (this year), Hawkins / Duncan / Smith / Danger? (next year) plus their other 30 year olds (Cameron, Danger, Stewart) getting older and more injury prone. I've predicted the fall repeatedly but it has to come and it will be sudden. I think they are hawks of 2016 next year and then done.

So if I was Bowes or advising him and future success was a criteria, think better to look elsewhere. Not that we have a strong case at the minute in that regard. I hate them but big club, new coach and underrated list should put bombers in the mix I reckon.

Let up the pressure, as both the Suns and Bowes will get a say.

Lets offer the suns our second round pick of 2023. I think this will challenge the cats.

1. Suns want picks for there acadmey player next year.

2. The talk is the Cats are trading away there first pick this year and next year for Bruhn and Henry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats selling game time to Bruhn (who wants to play midfield) and Henry.....can then somehow convince Bowes he'll get minutes?

If they can do that, then wow. They are jets and very well run.
Considering parfitt was dropped from the best 22 for the GF and adding Bruhn, Bowes will struggle.

Bowes at Hawthorn would be our second most experienced mid.

Geelong can't trade a future second if they trade their future first for Henry/Bruhn

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geelong can't trade a future second if they trade their future first for Henry/Bruhn

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
..But they could trade Ratugolea..

And they are looking at Conor McKenna? How many balls can you juggle at the same time? :oops:

I think from a games perspective, Bowes would be better suited to North or us. Bombers not really in the race from all reports but if he wants to cement a spot then those would be the best options for immediate senior game time. Geelong he'll likely spend a year in and out of the side as they have a pretty well established midfield.

Could be wrong, just how I see things.

Not expecting him to come to us, think we are probably doing a lot of work but have other plans ongoing in the event it goes as expected.

..But they could trade Ratugolea..

And they are looking at Conor McKenna? How many balls can you juggle at the same time? :oops:

True - they got a lot going on! 😆

But I think they playing this smart and trying to attract as many good trades while they the premiership team and can sell success. Sensible strategy.

But us hawks fans know that getting trades done that makes everyone else jealous doesn’t always work out as planned.

Geelong's sell is:
  • you keep your salary (spread out a bit)
  • you get to be part of the best team in the league (currently)
  • you get to play with a bunch of current day legends
It's a great sell... but it's wrong.

1. He gets four years on the same or less money. So no, he doesn't keep his salary. He loses some.
2. I'll give you that one, can't really say they aren't the current best team in the league when they just won the premiership lol.
3. Highly doubtful. Get to train with them? Sure. But playing with them would mean getting past all the other mids at the Cats that don't get a game. Along with Bruhn. To finally get a game. If he want's regular game time in the next two years, Geelong isn't the place to find it. After two years, sure he could be a great part of their midfield. Once all the stars have retired and the slide is on and he no longer has a chance at a premiership.

Does appear as though Bowes has chosen Geelong a long way out with Hocking gaining unofficial sign off from his mates at the AFL for the salary dump. Think he is taking the pi$$ a bit by touring other clubs and doing his “due diligence” Our enquirers into Flanders makes me think this even more.

I’ve moved on from him and just hope we can secure Meek, get a good pick from TOM and something half reasonable for Jack
This. It was agreed months out. Bowes is just doing a tour because he was asked to by the Cats so it doesn't look as sus as it is.

People forget they did something similar with GC a few years back when they sent a 2nd round pick to them in return for a mid first-round priority pick.

He might find it a battle to find a spot, but then he might also like the idea that he’s battling for a spot in a premiership contender and back himself in.
Yep. In some respects Can’t really criticise the guy if he chooses cats as he’s backing himself to make it in the comps current best team. That’s the mindset you want from everyone - not ‘I’ll pick club x as it will be easy to get a game and standards are lower’

Bowes to Geelong meltdowns coming
3…2…1
explosion GIF

It's a great sell... but it's wrong.

1. He gets four years on the same or less money. So no, he doesn't keep his salary. He loses some.
2. I'll give you that one, can't really say they aren't the current best team in the league when they just won the premiership lol.
3. Highly doubtful. Get to train with them? Sure. But playing with them would mean getting past all the other mids at the Cats that don't get a game. Along with Bruhn. To finally get a game. If he want's regular game time in the next two years, Geelong isn't the place to find it. After two years, sure he could be a great part of their midfield. Once all the stars have retired and the slide is on and he no longer has a chance at a premiership.
I'm also not quite understanding this salary spreading point I keep seeing pop up everywhere. Unless I'm missing something the math only works if you assume he was going to earn $0 in years 3 and 4, in which case $800k x2 he's owed gets spread over 4 years by the cats at say $400k pa. Other clubs might be able to give him the $800k in the next 2 years plus $400k in years 3 and 4 which seems like a better deal?

Journos keep running with 'spread his money over 4 years' which just seems like a net loss to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back