Hawthorn and Sam Mitchell selling out Clarko

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be a three term limit for club presidents and board members mandated in all club constitutions.
Both men left their clubs in a deep ditch of sh*t

Kennett came back to the club in an hour of need, after we sacked our Geelong supporting CEO and our Essendon supporting president resigned. We had a major project at Dingley planned and needing to be financed (now 130 million) so needed stability and business acumen. Overall he has been a good steward and our financial situation is very sound with net assets of over 50 million. Hardly a ditch of deep sh*t.

Compared to Swans net assets of 2.2 million at the end of last year Jeff has Hawthorn in a better position to cope with these testing times. All that without a marquee player who is worth 20,000 memberships and an extra 10,000 through the gates at home games!

Clarko's contract was ending in 2022 and the board decided that they would not extend it further. The divorce has been messy but Hawthorn will start the preseason with a clean slate and an enthusiastic new coach.

Kennett came back to the club in an hour of need, after we sacked our Geelong supporting CEO and our Essendon supporting president resigned. We had a major project at Dingley planned and needing to be financed (now 130 million) so needed stability and business acumen. Overall he has been a good steward and our financial situation is very sound with net assets of over 50 million. Hardly a ditch of deep sh*t.

Compared to Swans net assets of 2.2 million at the end of last year Jeff has Hawthorn in a better position to cope with these testing times. All that without a marquee player who is worth 20,000 memberships and an extra 10,000 through the gates at home games!

Clarko's contract was ending in 2022 and the board decided that they would not extend it further. The divorce has been messy but Hawthorn will start the preseason with a clean slate and an enthusiastic new coach.

Given Hawthorn’s off field assets, it’s affluent supporter demographic, it’s rusted on membership (3rd in the AFL last year and 75,000 plus for at least 5 years) and it’s historical success since the ‘60s a drovers dog could run Hawthorn at profit.

Even in 2017, when Kennett came back to ‘save’ the club from the president he appointed to the board Hawthorn was in a stronger financial position back then, had a larger membership and generated a multi million dollar profit despite governance issues.

The reason Kennett came back was to save the Tasmanian sponsorship, his baby, after the AFL looked to remove Hawthorn from the state.

It is after all the single legacy he has from his 4 terms as president - apart from approving Robson’s Harvard leave (before leaving for Essendon) and the ridiculous 5 year contract extension for Justin Reeves as CEO and Clarkson”s recent botched sacking...

Still I guess the same applies to Essendon before they were ‘weaponised.’

The current administration is an absolute disgrace and had all sorts of governance issues.

Still Kennett and Reeves are probably going to soon be #cancelled anyway

Last edited:
Given Hawthorn’s off field assets, it’s affluent supporter demographic, it’s rusted on membership (3rd in the AFL last year and 75,000 plus for at least 5 years) and it’s historical success since the ‘60s a drovers dog could run Hawthorn at profit.

Even in 2017, when Kennett came back to ‘save’ the club from the president he appointed to the board Hawthorn was in a stronger financial position back then, had a larger membership and generated a multi million dollar profit despite governance issues.

The reason Kennett came back was to save the Tasmanian sponsorship, his baby, after the AFL looked to remove Hawthorn from the state.

It is after all the single legacy he has from his 4 terms as president - apart from approving Robson’s Harvard leave (before leaving for Essendon) and the ridiculous 5 year contract extension for Justin Reeves as CEO and Clarkson”s recent botched sacking...

Still I guess the same applies to Essendon before they were ‘weaponised.’

The current administration is an absolute disgrace and had all sorts of governance issues.

Still Kennett and Reeves are probably going to soon be #cancelled anyway

what the faark did you just say? Reeves got a 5 year extension? What? Wow!!

what the faark did you just say? Reeves got a 5 year extension? What? Wow!!

Bang on...

Clarkson’s toxic relationships with both Hawks president Jeff Kennett and CEO Justin Reeves, who had his contract extended to the end of 2026 in the same period that Clarkson was told he wasn’t required after 2022, has contributed heavily to the decision this week.

What a time to be alive...

The annoying thing is that given the club is ‘unassisted’ there is nothing the AFL can do to square up the mess

Bang on...

Clarkson’s toxic relationships with both Hawks president Jeff Kennett and CEO Justin Reeves, who had his contract extended to the end of 2026 in the same period that Clarkson was told he wasn’t required after 2022, has contributed heavily to the decision this week.

The annoying thing is that given the club is ‘unassisted’ there is nothing the AFL can do to square up the mess

In all seriousness, that is outrageous!!! That smacks of Kennett buying support for what he needed to do to Clarkson.

I mean this but WOW!!!

All the best to the supporters who grow a pair and stand up to that megalomaniac.

Bang on...

How has Reeves performed in his time at the Hawks?

Looking at his background, solid football grounding but a number of those roles are glorified sales / admin roles.

Thats what I don't understand. Kennett, Mitchell and Clarkson have all been shown to be full of sh*t the last week or so. I understand why Clarkson lied; he couldn't exactly rant about how bad the situation is, that is just a bad look. Why anyone would believe a single thing any of them say regarding the situation? Football staff lie constantly about various things as long as it suits them.
Clarkson was the rat in this, Mitchell did nothing other than putting his hand up for the senior job. I think it says lot when Andrew Russell, Grahame Wright, Brett Ratten and Luke Beveridge are no longer on speaking terms.

Supporters accept oblique references while kennet promises ‘transparency. Big woop
Like the poster said, we need to grow a pair. The boards performance is woeful on most aspects.

Clarkson was the rat in this, Mitchell did nothing other than putting his hand up for the senior job. I think it says lot when Andrew Russell, Grahame Wright, Brett Ratten and Luke Beveridge are no longer on speaking terms.

‘so kennet is publicly abrasive but privately conciliatory, and Clarko is the opposite?

it doesn’t stack up

‘so kennet is publicly abrasive but privately conciliatory, and Clarko is the opposite?

it doesn’t stack up

Kennett came back to fix the Gaudrey mess after one of his directors cocked the whole thing up.

Will he be judged to the same degree for the Reeves extension, the Clarkson termination and the appointment of Mitchell without due process?

Are you sure you are not confusing this with the 'publicly known' examples of AFL identities who no longer speak to Damian Barrett..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tick Tok around the clock

Is that fact that he's not on speaking terms with any of them?

Ratten surprises me.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well a more logic based thing would be, they thought it'd work, clarko didnt think it would and made his standing down at the benefit of him and the club. Also wont coach in 2022 as he said and i trust that, yet again.
Clarkson didn’t think it would work, because he didn’t want it to work. He was playing the game.
His manager was leaking to Caro, in order to agitate for a payout.

The truth will become more widely known soon enough if what a Hawthorn legend has posted today gets picked up by media.

Clarkson didn’t think it would work, because he didn’t want it to work. He was playing the game.
His manager was leaking to Caro, in order to agitate for a payout.

The truth will become more widely known soon enough if what a Hawthorn legend has posted today gets picked up by media.
What did said Legend say, who was it and where did you get said information. I'm going off what i've heard and what we've been told to our faces. For mine Clarko doesn't seem like the person to play the game etc.

What did said Legend say, who was it and where did you get said information. I'm going off what i've heard and what we've been told to our faces. For mine Clarko doesn't seem like the person to play the game etc.

I presume it’s Dermott who is a strong Kennett fan and is not aligned to Clarkson like Dunstall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn and Sam Mitchell selling out Clarko

Remove this Banner Ad

Back