Opinion Hawthorn - Clarkson - Fagan Racism Investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL has announced a "fresh review into Hawthorn Football Club".

That's just a 1 minute to camera piece by a reporter on 9 Today this morning, can't find anything else yet. It appears to be a review of the way Hawthorn handled their own "investigation" and of course the possibility of fines & draft penalties is being speculated about.

Last edited:

Former Hawthorn official Cam Matthews denies complaint made during racism probe​

The identity of a previously-unnamed Hawthorn official who “categorically denies” a complaint made during the Hawk racism investigation has been revealed.

A fourth former Hawthorn official has revealed he faced a complaint by a past player and his partner in footy’s racism probe.
Cam Matthews, who denies all allegations, was player development manager at Hawthorn from 2014 to 2020 and now works at North Melbourne under Alastair Clarkson as head of football operations.

“I co-operated fully with the independent investigation established by the AFL and I have respected the confidentiality of the process. I only make this statement as I understand media outlets are now aware of my participation in the investigation,” Matthews said.

“I was the subject of a complaint made by one former player and his partner. I categorically deny any allegation of racism against me.
“I am proud of my time at Hawthorn and I greatly value the relationships I established with players and their families, including First Nations players and their families.

“Like others who have been involved in the investigation, I welcome the conclusion of that process.
“The AFL and the complainants agreed no adverse findings were made against me and no charges will be brought against me under the AFL Rules. This outcome reflects my categorical denial of the allegations made against me.

“I will not be making any further comment at this time.”

That's just a 1 minute to camera piece by a reporter on 9 Today this morning, can't find anything else yet. It appears to be a review of the way Hawthorn handled their own "investigation" and of course the possibility of fines & draft penalties is being speculated about.
In Gill's press conference the other night he mentioned that the AFL Commission would be looking into Hawthorn's role. He didn't really elaborate. Probably because at the time he no idea where it would go

In Gill's press conference the other night he mentioned that the AFL Commission would be looking into Hawthorn's role. He didn't really elaborate. Probably because at the time he no idea where it would go
Hmmm, Gil spent 45 minutes visiting Kennett today... so I wonder what they were discussing....

Former Hawthorn official Cam Matthews denies complaint made during racism probe​

The identity of a previously-unnamed Hawthorn official who “categorically denies” a complaint made during the Hawk racism investigation has been revealed.
He is 100% correct.

Telling an employee to cut ties with their family to further their career is neither racist or against any AFL specific rule.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is 100% correct.

Telling an employee to cut ties with their family to further their career is neither racist or against any AFL specific rule.

I don’t believe he and the coaches are saying what they did wasn’t wrong. I believe they are saying they didn’t do what it is alleged they did.

I don’t believe he and the coaches are saying what they did wasn’t wrong. I believe they are saying they didn’t do what it is alleged they did.
I can see a context where they did, in a well meaning "fartherly" way.

Having kids young and being part of a family with high demands on your time, and money can be detrimental to a career. Especially when starting in the AFL.

It is a weird accusation to just make up. There has to be some truth to it.

I do think it was done with good intentions. But legally and morally correct?

That needs to be tested.

It is a weird accusation to just make up. There has to be some truth to it.
Which one? I know for a fact that the accused say the “demanded they get an abortion” simply didn’t happen.

Maybe there is context around other events, but it’s hard to argue context when the basic facts are contested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which one? I know for a fact that the accused say the “demanded they get an abortion” simply didn’t happen.

Maybe there is context around other events, but it’s hard to argue context when the basic facts are contested.
Not sure how anyone can know for a fact any of this did or didn't happen.

You are right though it is all public conjecture until after the proper independent investigations are done.

Including my thought of such advice being given with good intentions.

Not sure how anyone can know for a fact any of this did or didn't happen.

You are right though it is all public conjecture until after the proper independent investigations are done.

Including my thought of such advice being given with good intentions.

Exactly... same on the main board there are posters who claim to know what happened... when no one really knows except those actually involved.

are they expecting aggrieved persons that refused to take part in the previous investigation to all of a sudden open up in a new version. What a joke, assuming true.

Hawthorn racism report author Phil Egan charged by fraud squad
Hawthorn racism report author Phil Egan has been charged with 73 offences after allegedly stealing from a body set up to help Indigenous communities.
Victoria Police financial crime squad detectives arrested former Richmond forward Phil Egan in February and the investigation had been ongoing.

“Detectives from the Financial Crime Squad have charged a man today (Thursday) as part of an investigation into allegations of fraud relating to the management of a Robinvale-based organisation,” a Victoria Police spokeswoman said. A 60-year-old Aberfeldie man was charged on summons today with 73 offences including obtain financial advantage by deception and use a false document.”

The alleged fraud happened between 2010 and 2015.

The Herald Sun revealed in December that Mr Egan was under investigation over claims he fraudulently obtained hundreds of thousands of dollars from Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative, including via a bogus invoices scheme

Mr Egan will appear before Melbourne Magistrates Court on August 11.

So he’s a crook who:

1) is a family member of one of the complainants

2) recommended compensation to said complainants beyond the scope of his remit.

Decades long Hawks fan here- we deserve to be hammered over this.

So he’s a crook who:

1) is a family member of one of the complainants

2) recommended compensation to said complainants beyond the scope of his remit.

Decades long Hawks fan here- we deserve to be hammered over this.

why? He wasn't a convicted fraudster when you engaged him, nor is he right now. He submitted his report and you appropriately passed it onto the AFL. Egan himself and the opportunistic grubs that overcooked their allegations hoping for $ is where the blame lays. Plus the AFL and their sham investigation designed to hang the coaches out to dry. Should have shut it down as soon as the parties making the allegations refused to repeat them formally.

why? He wasn't a convicted fraudster when you engaged him, nor is he right now. He submitted his report and you appropriately passed it onto the AFL. Egan himself and the opportunistic grubs that overcooked their allegations hoping for $ is where the blame lays. Plus the AFL and their sham investigation designed to hang the coaches out to dry. Should have shut it down as soon as the parties making the allegations refused to repeat them formally.
His cousin left the club in bitter circumstances in 2015, right in the middle of the period in question. As such, Egan should have been nowhere NEAR this review.

His cousin left the club in bitter circumstances in 2015, right in the middle of the period in question. As such, Egan should have been nowhere NEAR this review.

I don't reckon that's a particularly terminal conflict of interest. He was seen as a person of integrity and well qualified. A suppisedly bitter cuz from something that occurred years ago shouldn't preclude him. Gets dicey if the cuz is a major contributor though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Hawthorn - Clarkson - Fagan Racism Investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back