Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, obviously.

Not even the most optimistic of Hawthorn supporter could see this happening. Not to this extent.

Let’s not pretend a similar turnaround didn’t happen just last year with my club.

I don’t think I ever said that Hawthorn needed to bottom out this year.

Perhaps that question would be better directed towards someone who did?

You've misconstrued the narrative in this thread.

Hawthorn were 0-5 but we still thought we had good young team that had potential to win a premiership. Obviously we didn't think we were going to make finals this year but by next year we thought we'd more competitive. THIS... was seen to be arrogant.

I was a part of the discussion.

You joined the site 3 weeks ago.

I'm comfortable with my understanding of the back and forth.

So rather than address the content of the argument you've resorted to purely attacking a poster. Well done.

So rather than address the content of the argument you've resorted to purely attacking a poster. Well done.

I already addressed the content with the poster I had the initial discussion with.

How is pointing out you joined 3 weeks ago and seemingly don’t understand the history of the interaction, “purely attacking” you?

I already addressed the content with the poster I had the initial discussion with.

How is pointing out you joined 3 weeks ago and seemingly don’t understand the history of the interaction, “purely attacking” you?

Your doubling down, okay.

You do realise people can read the Bigfooty forum conversations before joining?

Even in I hadn't followed the conversation before, I can go back to the thread and read the posts, which is what I did.

I posted and summed up what the consensus was, including your posting and likes.

If you like we can go back to the content of the argument?
Which is... that no Hawthorn supporter had claimed that Hawthorn were going to make the finals after round 5. Only that we still had a good team and promising young players, which would improve in time. This was seen to be arrogant, and you thought so too. It is possible to be wrong.

You do realise people can read the Bigfooty forum conversations before joining?

You can read all you like. But here you are telling someone who was a part of the initial discussion that they've misconstrued the discussion.

Perhaps upon reading that you might realize how silly it sounds.

Zoomies Spinning GIF by Impact Dog Crates

Sounds like a waste of time to me, and a misguided one. You do you though. :thumbsu:

So the “gotcha” moment you thought you had, was really also a “gotcha” to yourself given you also didn’t think this would happen?

Nice.

You could see what was required from Hawthorn early this year when we lost against pretty much everyone we played other than North.

There are conversations on the Hawks board discussing it.

Making finals and not tanking don't have to co-exist for the latter to be true.

Effort and crux of the new gameplan have been on display for literal years now.

This thread should be re-titled: they weren't tanking. If it was ever meant to be anything other than a troll, it would have happened by now.

You could see what was required from Hawthorn early this year when we lost against pretty much everyone we played other than North.

There are conversations on the Hawks board discussing it.

Making finals and not tanking don't have to co-exist for the latter to be true.

Effort and crux of the new gameplan have been on display for literal years now.

This thread should be re-titled: they weren't tanking. If it was ever meant to be anything other than a troll, it would have happened by now.

Hawks attacking strategy will win flags, whether with Hawthorn or someone else. Mitchell is good, he's worked out the counter for Tigers style pressure and teams will have to adjust defensive strategy.

Last edited:

Sure. You can also see what’s required from Richmond and North Melbourne.

Seeing is one thing. Being able to execute is another.

At the time not even the most optimistic Hawthorn fan could see it turning to the extent that it has.

Enjoy it, but let’s not kid ourselves here.

At the time not even the most optimistic Hawthorn fan could see it turning to the extent that it has.

At 0 - 5 there was certainly a feel of having a lot of work to do but after our first win against the GWS the lid was off for me. Was confident we would come with a rush and play finals but I was thinking more 13 wins not what we hope now will be 14 wins. Which of course is yet to happen. Hopefully we play finals

Won't make finals? We are in the 8 with Richmond and North in the last 2 weeks. Of the 4 teams fighting for the last 3 spots I would argue we are the most likely to make it
The irony is that that was posted by a Freo fan, who is most at danger of missing finals!

Was just a tweak or two that were approaching poke you in the eye level obvious.

You could argue that we got lucky with Dear being such a good contested marking player, which helped us get the ball through wing or half back (our achilles heel early this year when sides got on top of us), and took heat off the other forwards, and brought them into games - especially Chol.

We put games into Meek who developed almost in sync with our previous preferred option Reeves declining. Our midfield pulled their sh%$ together and played to their actual potential instead of stinking it up.

Those sides you mentioned have more fundamental problems.

Let's not kid ourselves that it was some kind of bolt from the blue. We weren't far off winning games here and there despite those really, really obvious troubles.

Last edited:
0-5 was not indicative of where Hawthorn were projecting, Hawthorn was projecting to be a top 4 team at some point in time, maybe even next season.

They certainly weren't tanking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see we've had a Chadwiko sighting in this thread today, so let's just revisit this thread and the page where you posted this.

Amazing how much you had to say earlier in the year in this thread and elsewhere, and now strangely silent.

Mate, I already admitted I was wrong nearly a month ago. And I know you know this, because you 'laugh' reacted at the post;

I was wrong about Hawthorn.

They've out-performed my low expectations significantly.

1723615329581.png

So what are you trying to achieve by tagging me again nearly a month later and accusing me of being "strangely silent"?

Weirdo behaviour, tbh.

Mate, I already admitted I was wrong nearly a month ago. And I know you know this, because you 'laugh' reacted at the post;

View attachment 2079194

So what are you trying to achieve by tagging me again nearly a month later and accusing me of being "strangely silent"?

Weirdo behaviour, tbh.
Oh, I would have thought that with the amount of effort you went to continuously posting in here you’d have a bit more to say for yourself.

Clearly I was wrong.

Oh, I would have thought that with the amount of effort you went to continuously posting in here you’d have a bit more to say for yourself.

Clearly I was wrong.

What on Earth are you talking about?

I'm not even in the top 20~ posters in this thread;

1723616640104.png

Yeah, you hit peak form between Round 1 and Round 5.

Not much since.

You've posted more than double anyone else in this thread.

If this is just a big old self-pleasure safespace for you that's fine, but please don't tag me into it for your gratification. I'm just not that into you.

You've posted more than double anyone else in this thread.

If this is just a big old self-pleasure safespace for you that's fine, but please don't tag me into it for your gratification. I'm just not that into you.
You reap what you sow. If you want to spend weeks and weeks writing absolute shit, then you can sit here and cop it when you're found out.

"Look how right I was"

Is this how Hawthorn mods spend their days? Just going back and jerking themselves off over people who predicted your footy team would be worse than they are?

Sad, weird behaviour.

Is this how Hawthorn mods spend their days? Just going back and jerking themselves off over people who predicted your footy team would be worse than they are?

Sad, weird behaviour.
No.

Not people who predicted we wouldn't be good.

Just...you.

No-one else

You're in a league of your own

Don't deflect...You were happy to talk shit...endlessly and repeatedly

If you're now upset that people haven't forgotten what a jaundiced empty-headed babbler you were, that's your bad lack.

People talk endless shit here, and then bleat like you when called on it. If you don't like being called on yourshit... don't blame us.

Own it.

Or just be happy that people can still see how right you were.

Genuine question, why would I be provoked by a bunch of Hawks supporters circle jerking each other as a “told you so” when at the time of writing was correct.

Imagine saying you’re not fat when your 125kg, and then losing 45kg and saying, see, told you so

Seriously man, get a grip and get over yourself.

I have put my hand up and said things look vastly different now than at time of initial post. But hey, you do you

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Except the analogy that you've tried to draw here doesn't actually fit the circumstances. Rather, it would be like someone saying they're going to lose 45kg while you tell them they aren't going to, and then they go ahead and lose that 45kg.

No.

Not people who predicted we wouldn't be good.

Just...you.

No-one else

You're in a league of your own

Don't deflect...You were happy to talk shit...endlessly and repeatedly

If you're now upset that people haven't forgotten what a jaundiced empty-headed babbler you were, that's your bad lack.

People talk endless shit here, and then bleat like you when called on it. If you don't like being called on yourshit... don't blame us.

Own it.

Or just be happy that people can still see how right you were.

lol pathetic.

lol pathetic.

Not at all.

We've been worried about you on the hawk board ...we've been running a book about whether anyone could bring poor old Chadwiko back from the outhouse, or if you had sadly vanished up your own sphincter.

We can all relax now

I'm clubhouse leader in BringChadBack Open right now. :p

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Back