Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Been saying it for years, draft picks is one thing but Development and Talent acquisition is another.
(ie picking the right players to complement the group)

We aren't alone in these areas, watch WC who don't have a coach shoot up the ladder in the next 2-3 years.

How Hokball has developed this year has been an amazing story. Hope for all bottom 4 sides that when it turns it can happen fast. When Sam Mitchell came and played for us and was midfield coach in the 18 flag we really wanted him to stay. He's well and truly lived up to expectations.
It's never as good or bad as it seems

Care to make a friendly wager?

Which team out of Hawthorn and North wins a final first?

If North wins a final first, you agree to have Chief suspend/restrict your BF account for a period (two weeks? 1 month?)
If Hawks win a final first, I'll do the same in reverse.

Fair cop Hawks your team has obviously exceeded my expectations significantly.

Chief please suspend my BF account for two weeks.

Thanks.

Fair cop Hawks your team has obviously exceeded my expectations significantly.

Chief please suspend my BF account for two weeks.

Thanks.

the package essendon GIF by AFL

Imagine being an Essendon supporter watching Hawks build back up, sail past them and win a final after only a few years outside the 8
And then having a player that was in your squad last year that you didn't think was good enough then dominate their 1st final

8-10 wins would be disastrous for your mob, although i can see it happening. Hawks desperately need some elite talent to compete in about 3-4 seasons, your list is completely void of it and this year is the best chance you've got. Really poor trading has not helped too.

The general consensus from Hawk fans are that they have a top 5 midfield group, BF hawk fans were obsessed with this last year. I didn't see it back then and certainly not this year. Although it is funny seeing the angry responses trying to argue the view

I was replying directly to your post, quoting the players you posted haha

It's funny watching you weasel your way around.

Still waiting for your to list the elite talent, somehow I think I'll be waiting for a very long time.

It's funny, i very occasionally visit this thread, but every time i do you're here. It's impressive how invested you are with your time on this topic

Which ones do you think are elite talents? I'm not surprised you weasel your way out of a query

You have a bag of excuses to match constantly being wrong.

THere has been one constant - you being wrong and dramatically overrating your team and ridiculing anyone who is realistic and thinks they're going to struggle.

Some of the early season 'wack a mole' I was involved in is good for a revisit, blue harvest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classless as expected.

If only I could be bothered looking through your posts about the Pies prior to the 2022 and 2023 seasons……
Classless?
In the immortal world said Chadwick, “just take the L dude”.

You were in here all guns blazing in April saying how wrong I was to think we could improve on 2023.

I like the description. Mole works for you. Glad you can see that. :p

Hawks took a risk on inexperience and it's paying off massively. I sure as hell didn't see it coming, but really don't care about being wrong.

Mitchell looking like he could be one of the great coaches. I think you'll win the flag as you've got a group of serious runners that are running patterns that are ahead of the comp in two phases of the game - spreading the field on defensive half intercept in a way that teams aren't coping with and burning teams on turnover by sprinting at tacklers with support runners holding width. Whilst in retrospect you were right and it was there to see in the back half of last year - I thought it was just other teams being flat on the day making you look better than you were late last year. Ultimately, I think it will either take you getting absolutely smacked in contest, stuffing up an end game scenario, or a very good coach combatting your spread to beat you this year.

I like the description. Mole works for you. Glad you can see that. :p

Hawks took a risk on inexperience and it's paying off massively. I sure as hell didn't see it coming, but really don't care about being wrong.

Mitchell looking like he could be one of the great coaches. I think you'll win the flag as you've got a group of serious runners that are running patterns that are ahead of the comp in two phases of the game - spreading the field on defensive half intercept in a way that teams aren't coping with and burning teams on turnover by sprinting at tacklers with support runners holding width. Whilst in retrospect you were right and it was there to see in the back half of last year - I thought it was just other teams being flat on the day making you look better than you were late last year. Ultimately, I think it will either take you getting absolutely smacked in contest, stuffing up an end game scenario, or a very good coach combatting your spread to beat you this year.
I'm not sure anyone really saw this coming this season. People were way too dismissive of the talent that we do have though

I'm not sure anyone really saw this coming this season. People were way too dismissive of the talent that we do have though
We focus too much on the very top end stars because the media tells us to as they're better for marketing the game and they used to make a huge difference -still do - but with full time players the lesser lights are now good enough that a really well drilled unit that makes it easier for everyone can trump a team like Carlton with an outstanding top end.

Plus the game has turned from the inside being the major thing to how well you can transfer from inside ot outside, intercept and how dangerously you can transition the footy on the outside. It's more about giving your forwards the best chances rather than having the best insiders getting it to the best forwards more often who are stopped by the best defenders - with the development of a few like Weddle and D'Ambrosio, you've currently got arguably the best group of runners in the league and they're so well drilled. The unexpected quick rise years are always the best I think - enjoy it.

Last edited:
100,000 posts and almost 20 years on Bigfooty.
Says it all really doesn’t it……
Yeah, it’s says I love footy and the Hawks like thousands of others here. Who knew.

Meanwhile, you just keep trying to deflect from being so blatantly wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Back