Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.

Now imagine creating a game plan that works really well on your home field - and knowing that you will be getting to play the most important game of the year on that field. And as a bonus you play most of your games in the h and a on that very same field!!

Recipe for success that!!!

Cats and the Adelaide teams with their actual ovals rather than circles have a good point regarding that. The rest of the grounds are much the same dimension - varying by about a metre.

However, I think you're in the wrong thread.

Cats and the Adelaide teams with their actual ovals rather than circles have a good point regarding that. The rest of the grounds are much the same dimension - varying by about a metre.

However, I think you're in the wrong thread.
There is nothing "oval" about GMHBA Stadium. You've never looked at it on Maps have you?

There is nothing "oval" about GMHBA Stadium. You've never looked at it on Maps have you?
Do you mean Kardinia Park? Not sure about post-renovation, but here are the AFL ground dimensions from a few years ago - it was the longest regular ground in the league as well as being easily the narrowest.

Here it is on Google maps:

Screenshot 2024-09-16 115524.png

Last edited:
Not sure about post-renovation, but here are the AFL ground dimensions from a few years ago - it was the longest regular ground in the league as well as being easily the narrowest.

You are taking the dimensions and assuming they are uniform. They are not. The ends are flattened, as is one wing.

1726453473177.png

Impey out for Battle will improve your aerial game at the cost of your spread and run. Your spread and run is your strength. I think you'll be nuts to take from it.

Battle covers more ground than Impey and is younger and fitter.

As good as Impey has been this year, he wasn't very useful on Friday, got caught holding the ball twice with 4 turnovers from 14 disposals. He also didn't affect the drop of the ball in the whole d50 on four occasions on Friday, tough though when he's only 178cm. He or Amon may move on to a wing next season. Impey may even push to a forward pocket and play defensive forward.

You are taking the dimensions and assuming they are uniform. They are not. The ends are flattened, as is one wing.

View attachment 2112354
I said oval in comparison to circular - yes it's a slightly squashed oval, but it's much more clearly an oval than the mcg.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 115915.png

Battle covers more ground than Impey and is younger and fitter.

As good as Impey has been this year, he wasn't very useful on Friday, got caught holding the ball twice with 4 turnovers from 14 disposals. He also didn't affect the drop of the ball in the whole d50 on four occasions on Friday, tough though when he's only 178cm. He or Amon may move on to a wing next season. Impey may even push to a forward pocket and play defensive forward.
As an opposition fan, I hope you're right.

I am really looking forward to all the whingeing about vic clubs and the MCG returning and of course the infamous free kick Hawthorn because you know since Hawthorn joined the league we have been one of the poorest sides for free kicks in the league. Its Hawthorn winning that somehow gets everyone arced up and long may it continue.

I said oval in comparison to circular - yes it's a slightly squashed oval, but it's much more clearly an oval than the mcg.

View attachment 2112360
There is no such thing as "more oval", oval is oval and GMHBA is not oval shaped as one side is squished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except it is.
I looked it up. GMHBAconforms to the properties of an oval - they don't need to be symmetrical. If you're going to do petty one upsmanship, at least be right.

Here are the mathematical properties of an oval:

There is no defined shape for an oval in math, but it is easy to differentiate an oval from a given set of figures based on its properties.

• An oval shape is a smooth-looking closed shape and a curved geometrical figure.
  • An oval shape has no straight sides.
  • It has no corners or vertices like squares or rectangles.
  • It has one flat curved face.
  • In some cases of an oval shape, a line of symmetry can be observed.
  • An oval shape has no fixed distance from the center point to the boundary as in the case of a circle.

Last edited:
Yes.

Now imagine creating a game plan that works really well on your home field - and knowing that you will be getting to play the most important game of the year on that field. And as a bonus you play most of your games in the h and a on that very same field!! That way you perfect that game plan.

Recipe for success that!!!

Then as a special bonus in the three times in a row you get to the gf - you play interstate teams that get one or two games at that ground!!

Wow!!
I'll condense down your post to 1 word.

Vicbias

Interesting that port were the younger side on Friday night.
Wouldn't have thought that!
Gunston and Breust played while Dixon did not.

That’s likely the difference maker.

Gunston and Breust played while Dixon did not.

That’s likely the difference maker.
Yeah there was 11 days difference. No late change with Dixon going out and there is 7-8 months gap which shows that average age isn't that great and indicator

It was close throughout though. Hawthorn had a 3 more 27+ but also 3 more 21 and under

Yeah there was 11 days difference. No late change with Dixon going out and there is 7-8 months gap which shows that average age isn't that great and indicator

It was close throughout though. Hawthorn had a 3 more 27+ but also 3 more 21 and under
Thought as much.

Your edge is runners - I hope you go that tall in defence, but Scrimshaw and Frost will be playing ressies if Barrass, Battle and Sicily are all fit.
Scrimshaw in the ressies? Do you watch footy, like. Cmon.

Been a top level key defender all year, he can lock on talls and smalls and his ability to read the ball, intercept and impact contests is elite. His ball use is also elite and he breaks lines.

He should be getting way more recognition then he is, and had as good of a year as Sicily did.

Last edited:
Scrimshaw in the ressies? Do you watch footy, like. Cmon.
With the system purring - are you going to change the mix of roles to one less runner? Are you going to play Scrimshaw in a running role? Battle? Play Sicily, the best intercept defender in the league, up forward?

I wouldn't be changing the structure, or playing guys like Battle and Scrimshaw as runners ahead of the runnersyou've got. Nor would I be moving Sicily forward - except when you're chasing a lead.

Something or someone has to give to add a new KPD and an intercept defender into the team. I think the system is killing it, so that's the last thing I'd touch, so it'd be someone.

What would you do?

With the system purring - are you going to change the mix of roles to one less runner? Are you going to play Scrimshaw in a running role? Battle? Play Sicily, the best intercept defender in the league, up forward?

I wouldn't be changing the structure, or playing guys like Battle and Scrimshaw as runners ahead of the runnersyou've got. Nor would I be moving Sicily forward - except when you're chasing a lead.

Something or someone has to give to add a KPD and an intercept defender into the team. I think the system is killing it, so that's the last thing I'd touch, so it'd be someone.

What would you do?
My side that I’ve been putting together has no Frost, but the flexibility has Battle able to go forward and Weddle to the wing.

But my main point was how stupid to suggest Scrimshaw would go to the 2s, he’d lock into any and I mean ANY afl side and play well as a KPD or third tall. He is an elite intercept and user of the footy and can lockdown on talls and smalls, it’s a completely horrendous call by you.

Anyways.

The structure for me:
Hardwick - lockdown small
Scrimshaw - Barrass - Battle - key position
Sicily - general defender
Impey & Amon - running defenders

Weddle to a wing, Battle can play forward, Amon can play wing, Hardwick can play forward.

Frost has been told he has a role so it’ll be interesting what Sam sees, Battle forward and Frost down back and drop a forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Back