Preview Hawthorn v Melbourne - MCG, 9 August 2014, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good in's to have. Maybe just giving Billy a chance to show us what he's made of and thus if he will play finals?
Surprised liquor is dropped! Especially after signing a contract extension lol. Mitch and Smithy were expected as was Gunners coming out with that knee.

Interesting that he dropped an inside mid and brought 2 outside mids in + Mitch who is more of a bank flank these days.
I reckon Schoey will take over Gunners' role

You have to wonder whether Litherland is in finals contention given the fact that Lake is available next week. I have a feeling that Clarkson believes in hardened mature bodies being on the park come September. This is backed up by his decision to play Simpkin in the grand final when Anderson had better senior form.

OUT

• Alex Woodward (Omitted),
  • Jack Gunston (Knee),
  • Angus Litherland (Omitted)

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

In a way, I hope he has been dropped. If he's out cause he's hurt, at hawthorn that could mean a 7 week injury!!!

Good side. Would have liked to see Woody keep getting a chance, but I guess he's had a taste now to push him on for the pre-season, same with Hallahan.

Hartung in for some run too which is nice as he's looked solid when he's played.

Oh, and apparently Mitchell and Smith are back too. Nice

In a team like Hawthorn, there is no shame in being dropped IMO. Doesn't mean you're not good or haven't been playing well, it just means you're not best 22 for that week. Plenty of time for Gus to be a regular in the Hawthorn line up in years to come, meanwhile he'll continue to get valuable experience in a good VFL side at Box Hill.

Good in's to have. Maybe just giving Billy a chance to show us what he's made of and thus if he will play finals?
Surprised liquor is dropped! Especially after signing a contract extension lol. Mitch and Smithy were expected as was Gunners coming out with that knee.

Interesting that he dropped an inside mid and brought 2 outside mids in + Mitch who is more of a bank flank these days.
I reckon Schoey will take over Gunners' role
Gunners spends a lot of the game assisting the transition from defense to attack - Shoey is not as mobile as Gunner, so I reckon they needed Hartung to top up. That only works if they play him the whole game though, not just sub

Absolutely agree Bumpswithagrin!! How frequently has it been said this year - stiff to be dropped. I would have liked woody to go again but if Billy can really get up to Afl level that is be more than just an endurance speedster it could be very handy. If one of hill or smith is tagged then probably doesn't give us quite enough run against some sides.

Last edited:
In a team like Hawthorn, there is no shame in being dropped IMO. Doesn't mean you're not good or haven't been playing well, it just means you're not best 22 for that week. Plenty of time for Gus to be a regular in the Hawthorn line up in years to come, meanwhile he'll continue to get valuable experience in a good VFL side at Box Hill.

Exactly, he probably just needs to work on an aspect of his game just like Langers did.
No doubt he will be back before too long.

Love it...

Lithers...love him no end...give him a well earned rest...he has been a ripper. Tune him up for the rest of the year, comes straight back in next week and stays

Woody: well done mate. 2015 is the year for you

Hartung: Yes! Show us what you got. Play full game, run rings around the Dees...for me hopefully his x-factor takes him all the way to the Granny

Gunner is a bummer but even he deserved a rest. Mitch and Smith, no more rests from hereon in all the way to the flag. You have had ample rest

Hale: Show us what you've got playing for your life. Cegs great backup in waiting - and 2015 your year for sure

Shoe and Jesus: Plat them both in Def and Fwd for a half each in a fight to the death. Winner stays

Doc (I'm a fan) and Langers the terrier (a fan also - great last 1/4 last week you ripper) both stay which I love

With The Gun, Rioli and Sewell the old war horse to come back in, I don't give a hoot we are primed for B2B

He has only played 12 AFL games!! As well as he is doing of course he still has a lot to learn!! No player likes to get dropped but to date I'm sure his year & the impact he has had would be far greater than he would have predicted at the beginning of the year.
It's the bitter sweet of being at a club like hawthorn!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to wonder whether Litherland is in finals contention given the fact that Lake is available next week. I have a feeling that Clarkson believes in hardened mature bodies being on the park come September. This is backed up by his decision to play Simpkin in the grand final when Anderson had better senior form.

I'm hoping Clarkson goes with the players that are in form rather than showing blind loyalty to the players who are out of form that won him a premiership last year ......
Hale v Ceglar. Litherland etc.

I suspect barring injuries next round you will see Lake come in for Spangher and if either Duryea or Langford have poor games Litherland will come in for one of them.

Reckon Lithers is needed at BH to help them get back on the winners list (or, yaknow, late change/rest etc) - we want both sides going deep into September as it helps our blokes coming back from injuries and keeps the depth players fit.

I'm hoping Clarkson goes with the players that are in form rather than showing blind loyalty to the players who are out of form that won him a premiership last year ......

Then you have guys like Sewell who have been injured and at times out of form but you would just have to back in finals football.

I'm sure he will but we have a few more weeks before that decision has to be made. Experience does count in finals so it's worth persevering with some of those older players IMO if they can find their best form. When push comes to shove though, it will be the best team available on the day and there will be some unlucky players whether they be older ones or younger ones.

Who do we think will be sub out of Hartung, Langford & Simpkin.

Love it...

Lithers...love him no end...give him a well earned rest...he has been a ripper. Tune him up for the rest of the year, comes straight back in next week and stays

Woody: well done mate. 2015 is the year for you

Hartung: Yes! Show us what you got. Play full game, run rings around the Dees...for me hopefully his x-factor takes him all the way to the Granny

Gunner is a bummer but even he deserved a rest. Mitch and Smith, no more rests from hereon in all the way to the flag. You have had ample rest

Hale: Show us what you've got playing for your life. Cegs great backup in waiting - and 2015 your year for sure

Shoe and Jesus: Plat them both in Def and Fwd for a half each in a fight to the death. Winner stays

Doc (I'm a fan) and Langers the terrier (a fan also - great last 1/4 last week you ripper) both stay which I love

With The Gun, Rioli and Sewell the old war horse to come back in, I don't give a hoot we are primed for B2B
By my sums you have 25 players in the side.
Who are you dropping?

Predict the Hawks winning margin:
0-19
20-39
40-59
60-79
80-99
100+

I tip 60-79.

i think Litherlands last 2 games have been poor, let him have a go at BHH and see if he still has enough in the tank to finish off the season in HFC.....
Correct, he has struggled in marking duels when one out and given away some soft frees, once he improves his work in defending the high ball and his overhead work he will be back in the side, they will be working hard at training and at box hill because they want him in the seniors because he is outstanding with the ground ball.

Love it...

Hartung I think is in because of recent injuries to Cyril, Smith and Hill. I think the coaches need to figure out if he can come in - if we lose one of them for September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back