How long does Adam Simpsons have left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpson is contracted until the end of 2024. I'd be very surprised to at least not see him coaching in 2023.

Does anyone really think if we had Clarkson or Malthouse or Jock McHale we'd be much better than 1-4 with the players we've had available? Sacking Simpson during this season would achieve very little. It's going to be a long and ugly year.

LOL @ Freo and Carlton fans chirping like their clubs have achieved anything. Carlton are still a decade removed from a legitimate finals appearance, Freo haven't featured since 2015. WC have never missed finals for more than 3 years, ever. Good clubs don't just accept 5-10 years out of the finals. Hawthorn immediately made moves after 2016. Some of them silly and they weren't close to a flag as they thought, but they aren't a mile off making the finals. Sydney 4 seasons out of the finals since 2000, Geelong 1 since 2007. Geelong are a bit of a meme for not converting H&A wins to finals success, but you'd rather be in than out each year.

I think West Coast's big problem is a failure to realise where they are at. A rebuild is necessary but I get the feeling it wasn't until fairly recently that West Coast realised that. In hindsight going after Kelly was a mistake as he cost way too much. Should have invested in the draft.

It's easy to pot the decision with the benefit of hindsight, but you need to look at it in context.

It's the end of the 2019, we are 1 year removed from a flag. We rolled the dice and added an All-Australian calibre midfielder to try and squeeze another flag out of the playing group.

Did it work out? With the benefit of hindsight, no we can safely say it didn't. But you can see why it was done.

Yep, they simply miss judged where their list was positioned. A lot in the off season called for a rebuild. The powers who be decided to go with very little change.

We can't really win here. Historically our list management is conservative and boring. The one time we make a big move (Kelly, who was 25 not 35) and it's a disaster. I was more than happy to let Geelong overpay a player who didn't want to be there.

What moves were we realistically going to make in 2021? Other than not re-signing JK, Hurn, Redden for a year there's not a whole lot we could've done differently. Even then we've been playing Dixon, Naish etc. because we have to. We're not offloading Darling and Gaff and getting top 10 picks back. Footy doesn't work like that.

We should be targeting Jackson, Robertson and other WA players and being ruthless about it but we won't because we are 'nice guys' in trade week.

It's not like we've had an arsenal of early draft picks either. Last top 10 pick was 6 in 2013 which we traded for 11 (Sheed) and 28 (Yeo trade) which is a big win. Was happy with 2017 getting Ryan and Allen but Venables retiring and Brander ending up a bust has hurt. A hard landing will mean good draft picks again and we need to nail those. If we end up with something like 5, 25, 30 (Port) this year then that's very different to recent years where we've been entering the draft in the 20s or later.

We have some ugly contracts but most of them aren't long term. If we overpay guys in 2023/24 big whoop. I'd rather have Gaff, Darling, McGovern etc. years into their contracts than as 26/27 year old free agents now - unless they were wanting out and band 1 compo was on offer.

Matthew Knights likes this !!

Take a step back to Ken Judge and reflect on how WC react to losing, Nizzie isn’t a fan. I’ll give him to the end of next season.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

pass the tin around and eagles fans will pay him out

most eagles fans could see all this happening but Simpson rolls on with his usual spiel.

The next few years could make 2008-2010 look like a golden period

If he was paid out, who would you like to take the reigns ?.

Simpson should see the beginning of the rebuild.

The Rebuild should be as follows and starts immediately.

Retirements: Hurn, Shuey, Cripps and JK.

Traded: If they trade the following they could get decent draft picks. Yeo, McGovern, Darling (3rd rounder maybe), Ryan (down hill skier not required during a rebuild), Gaff and Sheed.

Delistings: Can’t be bothered listing them all…Nelson, B Williams, Langdon etc

Conclusion: Get what you can for aging stars, build a backline around Barras, Build a fwd line around Allen, draft in talented Midfielders and most importantly draft in a highly touted ruckman (don’t sell the farm for English)

Kelly, Jones and Duggan must be the ones that pave the way for the youngsters coming in and basically cop the beatings while they mature.

If you look back in Eagles history they have only languished bottom 4 between 00,01 and 08 to 10. This will be a little longer but they must get to work possibly with mid season retirements.
If the question is what would freo fans like to happen so wce are crippled for the next 10 years this would certainly be the answer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol
It's ok champ, just go and check your trophy cabinet and get back to me.

Shouldn't take long.
Gee good material there mate.very new and unique…

2018 was the only one worthy imo. After a rebuild done properly which you think you can avoid right now with hacks like Kelly and a fat bastard who can’t run out games. Footsteps Darling who was running around in circles the other night for no apparent reason is magically not gonna have brain farts and lead the fwd line . You guys are done and you deserve to languish down the bottom after the last two years piss farting around.

Get the tarps out for the next few years…and I’ll expect the bandwagoners to jump off, joining Freo like that did 12-15. Trains will be ready after the qtr time for ya.

I’ll expect another lame reply which i won’t waste my time on. Port I am sure will be desperate for a win next week..best of luck.

Gee good material there mate.very new and unique…

2018 was the only one worthy imo. After a rebuild done properly which you think you can avoid right now with hacks like Kelly and a fat bastard who can’t run out games. Footsteps Darling who was running around in circles the other night for no apparent reason is magically not gonna have brain farts and lead the fwd line . You guys are done and you deserve to languish down the bottom after the last two years piss farting around.

Get the tarps out for the next few years…and I’ll expect the bandwagoners to jump off, joining Freo like that did 12-15. Trains will be ready after the qtr time for ya.

I’ll expect another lame reply which i won’t waste my time on. Port I am sure will be desperate for a win next week..best of luck.
A Freo supporter bagging a 40 goal a year forward.
Oh the irony!

You still haven't given me a better forward.
Please don't say Crabener.

At Least we've got premierships to fondly remember.
You on the other hand.

You can't even keep your good players.
Lachie Neale, Cerra, the list goes on.

Another middle of the road year again I bet.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight fella.

Edit: Cerra for Serong.

Last edited:
He’s got this year and next year to have things pointing in the right direction.

We’ll be back before too long, as much as that annoys everyone.

Honest question, where do you seeing your revival coming from ?.

High draft picks are great, but if you nail them, will still take a couple of seasons to push the team up.

Good number of retirements of core players, over the next 2 seasons. Capable replacements ?, trading in.

From watching a lot of AFL teams over the last 20+ years, you must allow a good amount of time to rebuild.

Reckon the fact that everything went wrong in the off-season has allowed him to pivot expectations and could see him surviving. Unless he thinks the grass is greener elsewhere I think he'll be fine.

Oh the irony!

You on the other hand.

Lachie Neale, Serong, the list goes on.

freo have had multiple high draft picks in recent years courtesy of constantly finishing bottom 6 and a raft of best 22 players wanting out of their toxic culture

their list (which is so so at best) is a direct result of their culture of failure

Oh the irony!

You on the other hand.

Lachie Neale, Serong, the list goes on.

Where is Serong going?

freo have had multiple high draft picks in recent years courtesy of constantly finishing bottom 6 and a raft of best 22 players wanting out of their toxic culture

their list (which is so so at best) is a direct result of their culture of failure
It's rinse and repeat though.

They get high draft picks who want to go home after 2 years and then they get another 2.

Honest question, where do you seeing your revival coming from ?.

High draft picks are great, but if you nail them, will still take a couple of seasons to push the team up.

Good number of retirements of core players, over the next 2 seasons. Capable replacements ?, trading in.

From watching a lot of AFL teams over the last 20+ years, you must allow a good amount of time to rebuild.

It’ll take 2-3 years - which is how long it should take a good club to get themselves back up and rolling. Historically, WCE have done this a few times.

It’ll be the draft with a mix of low key trades - unlikely to be many free agents/saviours as that’s never been the club’s style.

The current list is not bare bones but there does need to be some further turn over.

Back half of 2021 was really poor but the first quarter of 2022 has been impossible to get a proper read on due to the extreme nature of the set backs (even before COVID, the injury list was ridiculous), so it’s an intriguing few months ahead as to who stays and goes.

It’ll take 2-3 years - which is how long it should take a good club to get themselves back up and rolling. Historically, WCE have done this a few times.

It’ll be the draft with a mix of low key trades - unlikely to be many free agents/saviours as that’s never been the club’s style.

The current list is not bare bones but there does need to be some further turn over.

Back half of 2021 was really poor but the first quarter of 2022 has been impossible to get a proper read on due to the extreme nature of the set backs (even before COVID, the injury list was ridiculous), so it’s an intriguing few months ahead as to who stays and goes.

Ok, so you reckon that the Eagles will be back knocking on the door of the 8 in season 3, (2025). I reckon from past experience (AFL last 20+ years), that it will take longer, maybe 5 or so. Who knows, we’ll just have to see it unfold over the next couple of seasons.

Simpson will not be turfed, before the end of his contract. If he wants to engineer the rebuild, he will be given first dibs.

Remove this Banner Ad

How long does Adam Simpsons have left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back