How stupid must St. Kida and Hawthorn feel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: all different

Originally posted by morgoth

Luke Ball will not make it as a big name player, he spent time playing school footy when he should have been in the big league. Never hold a player back, they must be challenged and must not be allowed to coast.

He spent most of last year with OP. Do you make a profession of being ignorant, or are you just very dull.

Originally posted by Hodge_is_God
Sorry but you wouldn't claim that if you weren't biased. Hodge played 15 games in his first year and finished 6th in Hawthorn's b&f. Has been injured for most of this season.

Hodge was playing injured during those 15 games as well. I can't imagine too many rookie 18 year olds playing as solidly in similar circumstances. Judd is a year ahead of Hodge and has been blessed injury wise since arriving at West Coast (good luck to him). A long OP lay off, 0 out of 2 preseasons, and extra weeks out due to peripheral injuries aren't going to be good for anyone's development. Neither will recurring spells in the pockets, but until he can get fit he won't be able to play in his rightful position in the midfield.

Hawthorn made the right choice according to advice and their needs, but will certainly be hoping that the worst of it is behind Hodge fitness wise.

A class youngster Hodge, and fickle fate is all that's keeping threads like this from redundancy.

Yes Judd is a good player, but having said that, do not judge Hodge and Ball just yet!!!!!

Both players are outstanding prospect's and may very well prove the equal if not better than Judd!!!!!

Just remember, Judd does a shoulder again and his career could be over!!!!!

Judge these boys at around the 100 game mark, then 200game mark etc and see where we are at!!!!!

Judd says he is happy in Perth and at the club, as he said at the end of the game, depending to be true or not, we will have to wait.

Seems only the opposition supporters and Victorian media who wants him to leave WC. The only thing to do is wait till the end of the season to confirm anything.

Originally posted by Goldenblue
Judd says he is happy in Perth and at the club, as he said at the end of the game, depending to be true or not, we will have to wait.

Seems only the opposition supporters and Victorian media who wants him to leave WC. The only thing to do is wait till the end of the season to confirm anything.
Apart from your Auskick duties, Do you work at Subiaco Oval GB?

Goldenblue,Peter Bell said before he left the Roos that he also loved the club and had lots of mates there,But at the end of the day if a player is hell bent on going home there is no stopping him.If I was an Eagle's fan I would be devastated to see a future superstar leave the club, but that is one of the shortcomings of the draft and National competition which we all gotta live with.

Originally posted by thumping
Goldenblue,Peter Bell said before he left the Roos that he also loved the club and had lots of mates there,But at the end of the day if a player is hell bent on going home there is no stopping him.If I was an Eagle's fan I would be devastated to see a future superstar leave the club, but that is one of the shortcomings of the draft and National competition which we all gotta live with.

True, we have had the same crap sprouted with Wirra, Morrison, Braun and other Vics. The only one we lost and that was Fraser and he was no great loss to us.

hmmmm

Lets see:

Judd, gamebreaking on-baller who has helped WC into second place. First year good, second year better.

Ball - played school footy last year, not done much this year. His club will struggle to make the 8.

Hodge - BOG on Saturday v Willi in the VFL. Injury prone (quite ironic when you think the Dawks overlooked Judd due to injury concerns) and hardly setting the world on fire. His club will not make the 8

Judd is streets ahead of the rest of the field. Potential is just that until you deliver and only Judd has delivered from the best draft EVER.

Morgoth - what does a players teams chance of making the 8 have to do with how good they are as a player? Just a question - not picking at all.
A player is an indervidual, the game is a team game, where everyone works together to achieve victory.
I personally would rather have 22 good team players than 22 excellent inderviduals.
Judd is a good player, but Luke Ball is still very young and has many years ahead of him to improve on his already good playing. If it weren't for injuries, I have no doubt Hodge would be up there as well. Question - how old is Judd compared to the other 2 players?

god

Riccardo, they were taken in the same draft, so they are pretty much the same age. Ouch hey?

Judd is easily the best player from the draft at the moment. Having said that its to hard to tell. Some players are ready made for AFL football, which Judd obviousbly was, but others take a bit more time to develop and could end up even better than those who made the initial great impact.

But having said that, Judd would be close to the best second year player ever - How many second year players can do what he did in the first half against Brisbane?? Probably none. Seasoned top class midfielders don't even do that.

As for Judd leaving - all pure speculation at the moment. We have seen many times players say they love a club and leave, but for every time that has happened, we have seen 5 players say they love and club and don't leave.

As for Judd v Ball in terms of possessions per match. That stat is redicolous and clearly lacks footballing knowledge. Everyone can say that Judd is in the exact mould of Andrew McLeod - can tear a game apart in 10 minutes of football, which he did yesterday during the middle part of that second term with 3 goals. Luke Ball is in the Robert Harvey mould - will constantly pick up possessions, and be the workhorse off the team, who doesn't seem to be doing much but before you know he will have 30 touches at its not even three quarter time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Black Thunder
As for Judd v Ball in terms of possessions per match. That stat is redicolous and clearly lacks footballing knowledge. Everyone can say that Judd is in the exact mould of Andrew McLeod - can tear a game apart in 10 minutes of football, which he did yesterday during the middle part of that second term with 3 goals. Luke Ball is in the Robert Harvey mould - will constantly pick up possessions, and be the workhorse off the team, who doesn't seem to be doing much but before you know he will have 30 touches at its not even three quarter time.

Luke Ball is in the Robert Harvey mould?!?! O what a pity :rolleyes: In truth probably more in the Scott West/Brett Ratten mould, the handball giver rather than the handball receiver.

No doubt Judd is more advanced at this stage, much as Koschitzke was ahead of Riewoldt after 22 games. But consider that Ball has already had 1 BOG (v Geelong) was instrumental in another (Carlton) and made a match winning defensive smother v Adelaide that resulted in a goal and I think his first 9 games would stack up fairly well. St Kilda will not be regretting their decision just yet.

Originally posted by Goldenblue
Judd says he is happy in Perth and at the club

Nick Davis said the same thing about living in Melbourne and playing for Collingwood.

Originally posted by Falchoon
Luke Ball is in the Robert Harvey mould?!?! O what a pity :rolleyes:

Where did I state that it was a bad thing being in the Robert Harvey mould??

If you actually didn't jump to conclusions, you'd probably find that I have stated on BF before that I rated Harvey as the best footballer of the 90's decade, or if not very close to it, including Carey, Lockett, Williams and Ablett (even though he only played half of the decade, and faded abit towards the end).

I was simply stating that both players have different styles of play, hence juding them on average possessions a game is not a true indication of how good they are playing (not that it is a good way to compare any group players)

Originally posted by goaldrush
Not as stupid as Ugle who puts himself at Kew Cottages.

Did they turn you away?

Originallyposted by Black Thunder
But having said that, Judd would be close to the best second year player ever - How many second year players can do what he did in the first half against Brisbane?? Probably none. Seasoned top class midfielders don't even do that.

From what I've read Coleman wasn't too bad in his first 2 seasons.

Originally posted by Squeak
From what I've read Coleman wasn't too bad in his first 2 seasons.

exactly!! how often do those types of players come around?? Not often. So Judd is obviousbly something special.

But having said that, Judd would be close to the best second year player ever - How many second year players can do what he did in the first half against Brisbane?? Probably none.

Getting really silly now.

There was a guy called Gary Ablett, you might have heard of him.

In his second year at Geelong, as a midfielder, he averaged 17.5 possessions, 6.7 marks and 4.1 goals.

In that year, he had a game where he had 23 touches, 10 marks and kicked 6.8.
In another game he had 25 touches, 10 marks and kicked 9.6

Judd is good, but let's not get carried away. At this point, he isn't even worthy of carrying Ablett's jockstrap, let alone being put in the same class.

Very good point. People do get carried away a tad.......

On Judd being a better player because his team will make the top 8 - what a complete and utter load of sh1t! Obviously Tony Lockett was only an average player in the 80s because St Kilda never made the top 4 (or 8, or anything). Stupid comment.

exactly!! how often do those types of players come around?? Not often. So Judd is obviousbly something special.

Adrian McAdam was something special in his first 2 seasons. Took 9 games to get to 50 goals or something from basically a forward pocket.

Now at the moment everyone thinks that Judd is going to be a star but it was pretty hard not to have the same opinion of Adrian McAdam after we kicked the Maggies by 120 points at victoria park with McAdam kicking 10 goals.

oh - and he will be coming to North next year anyway - I read it in my horoscope ;)

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Getting really silly now.

There was a guy called Gary Ablett, you might have heard of him.

In his second year at Geelong, as a midfielder, he averaged 17.5 possessions, 6.7 marks and 4.1 goals.

In that year, he had a game where he had 23 touches, 10 marks and kicked 6.8.
In another game he had 25 touches, 10 marks and kicked 9.6

Judd is good, but let's not get carried away. At this point, he isn't even worthy of carrying Ablett's jockstrap, let alone being put in the same class.

Wasn't Ablett's 2nd year at Geelong like his 4th year or something of AFL football? Remember... he played at Hawthorn before he played at Geelong... so he wasn't a "2nd year player" at all.

Think most of you have forgotten about a bloke called Des Headland, he was number one pick and it took him 3 years before he started realizing his potential. Then 15 other clubs wanted him!

Best to judge Judd, Hodge and Ball in another couple of years. ATM Judd it would be fair to say is in front of the other two, but they are way different players and all three will be champions in their own right. If hodge can get a good preseason under his belt and build his fitness levels up i think he will be as devastating as Judd maybe more as his skill level seems better than Judd plus his willingness to put his body on the line and get the hard ball,not to say Judd isnt hard either. And will be able to spend more time in the midfield, Remember Hawthorn have a long History of their Champions spending a lot of time learing the game in the Reserves only the club understand why they are playing hodge of the HBF and not in the midfield. Judge him when he is playing as a midfielder not on the HBF or back pocket. judge apples with apples not Oranges.

why

If Locket was so good why did you trade him? Why did you climb the ladder after that? Judd tore them apart yesterday and his team won. He is not a one dimensional full forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

How stupid must St. Kida and Hawthorn feel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back