How stupid must St. Kida and Hawthorn feel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
In his second year at Geelong, as a midfielder, he averaged 17.5 possessions, 6.7 marks and 4.1 goals.

I think he spent one year at Hawthorn. That would have made his second year at Geelong his third year in football.

Originally posted by Chris_Judd
Wasn't Ablett's 2nd year at Geelong like his 4th year or something of AFL football? Remember... he played at Hawthorn before he played at Geelong... so he wasn't a "2nd year player" at all.

Well, he did play very briefly at Hawthorn in 1982. If you want to pedantic, it was his third season.

So let's look at 1984, Ablett's technical second year at VFL level.

20 possesions, 5.87 marks, 2.2 goals.

Similar possessions to Judd, twice as many marks and significantly more goals.

Some of his better performances that year.

27 touches, 11 marks, 5 goals, 6 behinds (in his 21st game)
24 touches, 12 marks, 1 goal, 2 behinds (in his 19th game)

Chris Judd is a long way of being the best second year player ever.

Judd has so much talent and could be anything but he is not the best 2nd year player ever to play the game.

You only have to look back to last year, Riewoldt's second year has been better than Judd's second year to date.

Originally posted by Sera
I think he spent one year at Hawthorn. That would have made his second year at Geelong his third year in football.

He spent part of 1982 with Hawthorn, yes.

Originally posted by Kenny_01
Judd has so much talent and could be anything but he is not the best 2nd year player ever to play the game.

You only have to look back to last year, Riewoldt's second year has been better than Judd's second year to date.

Summed it up pretty well Kenny.

Re: why

Originally posted by morgoth
If Locket was so good why did you trade him? Why did you climb the ladder after that? Judd tore them apart yesterday and his team won. He is not a one dimensional full forward.

Neither was Plugger, turned a state game from the ruck, was a great centre half forward early in his career, but Stewie Loewe turned out to be handy there. Locketts problem was that coming back in '88/'89 he was an even better full forward with an extra 10-15 kilos, put paid to his versatility, but then he did average 6 goals a game for the next 8 years.
Lloyd's a superstar on just over 4.

As for why we traded him, he wanted to go to Collingwood.

Shhhh!

Riewoldt has been so much better than last year, but be quiet!

We love it how Judd can lap it all up, the Roo needs a break from the press.

The media has let the Roo lie, and he's playing some great footy.

Well, he did play very briefly at Hawthorn in 1982. If you want to pedantic, it was his third season.

So let's look at 1984, Ablett's technical second year at VFL level.

20 possesions, 5.87 marks, 2.2 goals.

Similar possessions to Judd, twice as many marks and significantly more goals.

Some of his better performances that year.

27 touches, 11 marks, 5 goals, 6 behinds (in his 21st game)
24 touches, 12 marks, 1 goal, 2 behinds (in his 19th game)

Chris Judd is a long way of being the best second year player ever.

so we have one player who may have been better than Judd in his second year....once again using stats is not the best way to judge players, but my point still stands......he is still close to being the best second year player ever.

Maybe Ablett was better, I dont know, I wasn't even born, but using stats backs nothing up in this instance. Either way, do you consider Haydn Bunton to be an ordinary footballer because Bob Skilton is generally considered the better midfielder??

And in my probably biased opinion, I would consider Judd's year thus far to be better than Riewoldt's last year to this point.

I don't.

Riewoldt plays the hardest position on the ground, double teamed often.

Judd is playing in a team that is flying with Cousins, Kerr and a couple of others around him, he's not even being tagged.

Buckley, harvey, Mcleod & Voss get tagged every week and still dominate, let's see if Judd can do that.

He does look very good, but in Riewoldt's class that's a laugh. Let them play one on one for the game and see what happens.

And yes i am still a bitter Lion on "losing" Riewoldt....

Originally posted by Black Thunder
so we have one player who may have been better than Judd in his second year....once again using stats is not the best way to judge players, but my point still stands......he is still close to being the best second year player ever.

Maybe Ablett was better, I dont know, I wasn't even born, but using stats backs nothing up in this instance. Either way, do you consider Haydn Bunton to be an ordinary footballer because Bob Skilton is generally considered the better midfielder??

And in my probably biased opinion, I would consider Judd's year thus far to be better than Riewoldt's last year to this point.

Riewoldt was borderline AA last season. Judd isn't close to AA this year. He does some amazing things but still needs consistancy in his game and still has a few things to work on. Before last week, you sort of got the feeling Eagle supporters had been dissapointed with his season to date. No doubt he will be an absolute champion and could be the best player in this decade but this year, you couldn't say he is having the greatest of seasons. He is capable of a lot more.

Maybe Ablett was better, I dont know,

There goes your credibility.

Gary Ablett was a footballer that comes along once in a lifetime (unless you're his son ;) ), a deadset football god.

Chris Judd is one of the hundreds of talented young players who might one day become a champion.

Some perspective please.

using stats is not the best way to judge players

It's not, but they don't lie.

When Ablett averages 7 marks and 4 goals a game, compared to Judd's 3 and 1.5, it speaks volumes.

One is a footballing god, the other is a talented kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks fans are happy with Hodge, Saints fans are happy with Ball, and West Coast fans are happy with Judd. Nobody would be feeling silly, except maybe the person who lodged this post.

There goes your credibility.

Gary Ablett was a footballer that comes along once in a lifetime (unless you're his son ;) ), a deadset football god.

Chris Judd is one of the hundreds of talented young players who might one day become a champion.

Some perspective please.

my basic point is that there are very few second year players who can do what Chris Judd is doing. Because we have found one in Gary Ablett, does that make Chris Judd an also-ran.

According to that theory, as I already said, do you consider Haydn Bunton an "also-ran" because Bob Skilton in widely considered the better footballer?? Or if you prefer to think of Bunton as the better footballer, do you consider Skilton an "also-ran"

Kenny,

Point taken on Riewoldt being close to AA selection last year, but Judd wouldn't be too far from it this year. After about Round 7, he was probably towards the tailend of the borderline players but still in the mix, then he had a few quiet games and probably dropped off peoples thoughts, then in foul swoop after that Brissy game he would've moved back to around abouts the exact same position he was 4 weeks ago.

If he puts in a couple more performance like Brisbane this year, he'll go very close to AA selection this year.

As for Judd being consistent, he isn't ever going to be the most consistent footballer. He'll be another Andrew McLeod, except IMO he could be better. He won't pick up regular 30 disposal games, but he'll break open a game in a matter of minutes, like what he did against Brisbane. We had given ourselves a pretty good opening (also partly due to Judd's work in the first term) then he blew them out of the water in the final 5 minutes of the second term. His little spell effectively gave Brisbane no chance of winning.

McLeod did the same against us in Round 2. They just had their noses in front in the mid-to-late part of the third term, then McLeod went bang, bang, bang, and all of a sudden the margin was out to 4-5 goals at 3 quarter time and we couldn't recover.

Riewoldt was borderline AA last season. Judd isn't close to AA this year. He does some amazing things but still needs consistancy in his game and still has a few things to work on. Before last week, you sort of got the feeling Eagle supporters had been dissapointed with his season to date. No doubt he will be an absolute champion and could be the best player in this decade but this year, you couldn't say he is having the greatest of seasons. He is capable of a lot more.

You have got to be kidding?

He will be AA this year. Quite easily. Lurch still has a long way to go. Taking a lot of uncontested marks means nothing.

Originally posted by MGREG
You have got to be kidding?

He will be AA this year. Quite easily. Lurch still has a long way to go. Taking a lot of uncontested marks means nothing.

The most underrated skill in football is a mark from an opposition players boot.

Would make a good stat.

my basic point is that there are very few second year players who can do what Chris Judd is doing. Because we have found one in Gary Ablett, does that make Chris Judd an also-ran.

According to that theory, as I already said, do you consider Haydn Bunton an "also-ran" because Bob Skilton in widely considered the better footballer?? Or if you prefer to think of Bunton as the better footballer, do you consider Skilton an "also-ran"

Where did the term "also-ran" come from?

I certainly didn't use it, so i don't see why you've parenthesised it, nor why you've used it as a basis for your entire point.

You made an ill-considered statement Hourn (one of many made about Judd), at least you could admit that much.

Where did the term "also-ran" come from?

I certainly didn't use it, so i don't see why you've parenthesised it, nor why you've used it as a basis for your entire point.

You made an ill-considered statement Hourn (one of many made about Judd), at least you could admit that much.

how is saying Judd is possibly the best second year players ever an ill-concieved statement??

But put it this way - to deny Judd that title, you had to bring up Gary Ablett.

Gary Ablett is one of the greatest footballers, possibly the greatest footballer to ever grace a field.

So in essence we are comparing Judd to Ablett, that says alot about young Christopher.

how is saying Judd is possibly the best second year players ever an ill-concieved statement??

But put it this way - to deny Judd that title, you had to bring up Gary Ablett.

Gary Ablett is one of the greatest footballers, possibly the greatest footballer to ever grace a field.

So in essence we are comparing Judd to Ablett, that says alot about young Christopher.

You honestly think Judd's season has been that good? I've got the feeling most Eagle supporters have been a tad dissapointed with Judd. Surely you must agree that Riewoldt's season was better last season? Judd will great but I think you're over-rating his season to date a little.

Judd will be great but I think you're over-rating his season to date a little.

I tend to agree.

When he's on fire, he is amazing.

But there have been a few games where he's started off really well, then faded out in the second half... which in most of our losses, is where we lost the games.

Not that that is his fault, but it'd be nice to see him stick at it for four quarters.

Remove this Banner Ad

How stupid must St. Kida and Hawthorn feel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back