Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

How about his intercept mark and goal from 50

oh yeah, another great moment ... but that's there for all to see ... the little things, like the slick hands, don't necessarily register on stats sheets, etc ...
and i think it also highlights that every player makes a contribution even though, according to gameday threads and the various other criticisms, you'd think most of them were "terrible", "a joke", and all the other negative stuff ...
but all we really want is the result at the end, to which every player contributes something, even when so many things are not going right ... that's what we got yesterday

"The Rolls Royce Heeney. Open goal square. Scores level. RIDICULOUS! You cannot describe what is happening in this final. He is something out of this world Isaac Heeney!"

Last edited:
GWS were amazing and if they had of kicked a few easier shots through the middle, we may have been too far back to run over the top in the last. We were also very poor for most of the first 3 quarters, we weren't clean enough with handballs to get any fast movement going forward and resorted to kicking it up the line to contests, couldn't take a contested mark and as mentioned weren't clean when the ball hit the deck.

But.....Were the umpires as horribly inconsistent as I thought watching at the ground, or is it my bias? HTB, and high tackles seemed to go in their favour, I also thought we took 2-3 marks that weren't paid.

Was shocked to see we won the free kick count.
When Giants fans are laughing, in a sporting not nasty way, about the umpiring and frees in front of goals in the first half - even they thought it was farcical. We didn’t get one in front of goals. It’s a big deal in tight contested finals.

Another reflection - what was our pressure rating ? Thought we contested pretty well all game which is a good sign.

Triple M's commentary of the game (feat. BT!)

Bring Adams back please. Even a little bit of help in the midfield is needed. We can't rely on another superhero performance from Heeney.

We also shouldn't be picking guys with serious injuries who are on the fringe of best 22 like amartey. Campbell worked out but could've gone the other way with a sore groin.
But it didn’t, so the option was not to do it and lose? The reasons for not playing Campbell as a starter were well explained, McInerny didn’t work and Adam’s would have offered more however the team balance in the centre line would have been different. I think McInerny was very cautious which we didn’t need. Campbell proved he is best 22 imo. You need to balance caution w risk.Side improved significantly when JMac went off.

Grundy was super, particularly in the last. Thought he played a real 4 qtr effort and just kept fronting up.

Outrageous game. A few observations other than the top line players for me were:
  • a big second half by Grundy after a quiet first half was very useful. McLean also put in some very good minutes to rest Grundy through the game
  • Logan McDonald physically struggled but his skills at ground level and flicking the ball around with hands to teammates are really good. We need a bigger contest in the air but his play I think will go a little under the radar. Finals aren’t won by tall forwards anymore really but his skills to go with our smalls and mediums are really valuable
  • Roberts looked a touch overawed in his first final. No doubt he’ll be better for it but his disposal was that touch slower and his body work a little less confident
  • a bit speculative this one, but I wonder if this game could be looked back on as the day Parker decided to leave the club. I say that because in the second half Longmire and the coaches injected speed and run into the midfield when the game had to be won. Warner, Gulden, Heeney and Jordon plus Campbell at HF and Lloyd off a wing continuing his excellent game. Seemed Parker was stuck as a forward and didn’t get a lot of midfield time and was off the ground quite a bit (71% TOG). In fact, his TOG went down quarter by quarter from 88% to 82% to 61% to 53%. That’s significant imo. I’m not sure he was wild about that after the game from some, admittedly brief, footage and shots I saw of him. May well be reading too much into it, but it felt like a passing of the guard where once Parker would be relied upon and called upon to go to the middle to get us back on track but Longmire went elsewhere.

Last edited:
  • a bit speculative this one, but I wonder if this game could be looked back on as the day Parker decided to leave the club. I say that because in the second half Longmire and the coaches injected speed and run into the midfield when the game had to be won. Warner, Gulden, Heeney and Jordon plus Campbell at HF and Lloyd off a wing continuing his excellent game. Seemed Parker was stuck as a forward and didn’t get a lot of midfield time and was off the ground quite a bit (71% TOG). I’m not sure he was wild about that after the game from some, admittedly brief, footage and shots I saw of him
I'm one of Parker's biggest fans, but he has zero leg speed anymore and is offering very little in the guts either. He needs to play forward now where he won't get so exposed on the run and can use the strengths he still has, jumping, marking and goal accuracy. If he's not happy with that and doesn't want to admit he is getting older and the game is moving past him and choses to go elsewhere, I'll be as disappointed as anyone but others have pushed in front of him, it happens to everyone eventually, some sooner than others. He needs to have a chat to Jude about how he finished his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be flying under the radar a bit in the comments, but Cunningham was excellent last night. So composed under pressure, and soundly beat Daniels.

Not sure I understand the angst around McLean, yes he was quiet but personally I think his ruckwork has come on in leaps and bounds, he's so important for giving Grundy a chop out and putting some physical pressure on the opposition rucks. Grundy is not a power ruck, we need McLean putting time in to soften them up and he does it well.

Add the piss poor ball movement in the first half and elite GWS key defenders and I'm not the least bit worried about him.

I’ve no doubt that if anyone can find the answer to that they’ll become a very rich person very quickly.

Our start was fine intensity was insane you barely had time to dispose of the ball problem was between the 2nd-3rd quarter

Rewatch our ground territory and contest was equally as good as the Giants they just had Hogan in career best form

Last edited:
Triple M's commentary of the game (feat. BT!)

BT saying he was talking through the theme song, but the stand they were in was literally shaking.

Also his comment as to why the Bloods were not on the back of Sydney papers, ... the NRL must be worried by the crowd enthusiasm.

Just watching Offsiders -a great wrap for our boys. But why and how does that stupid old Roy Masters still get on. He still can’t accept that the AFL is a part of Australian sport. He’s just full of hot air.

I think this whole bolded statement is ignorant to the modern game especially to the fact that players don't kick as many goals as they did 20 years ago as key forwards. Only 1 player in the whole league averaged 3 goals a game in the whole league and that was the coleman medalists and he won it by 0.3 goals per game. Saying a KPD has a good game by holding any KPF to Coleman winning pace is just blindly foolish.
You do realise what an average is don't you.... Another measure that is absolutely meaningless without context, especially when considering one individual game.

Conceding three as a KPD could be terrible, or it could be terrific. It depends on the game and the context, not whether some magical average across an entire season has been met or not.

Judging a performance solely off one statistic is the only foolish opinion here.

Anyway, we disagree.

Bash Melican all you want, but I'll maintain a view he was pretty good, all things considered.

Good news rest of the games were mostly shit/blowouts they have no choice but to focus on our game haha

:moustache:

As we speak holy shit a Giants v Sydney recap has over 6 minutes on TRSF can you believe it?
As there were only 4 games, yes. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back